Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hello from Milwaukee!

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is more of an introduction than a question, but I didn't know where else to put it. I'm Marissa (not very creative with the usernames), almost 30, a nurse in Milwaukee. I have not ridden a bike for close to ten years, but recently began spin classes and remembered how much I loved it back in the day. I'm looking to purchase a bike within the next month. I'm leaning towards a hybrid, as I'd like to bike in the city but would also like the option to travel on bike trails. I live one mile from work and currently walk, but am thinking it would be a lovely quick commute on a bike.

So, hello! I found this forum last night and spent a few hours reading before joining. Wow, there's wonderful support and information here and I look forward to my journey towards once again being a biker.

Hi, Marissa, welcome to TE!

I'm in N. Illinois, down by Wilmot, WI (are you familiar with the area?).
    "A bicycle does get you there and more. And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun."

Welcome Marissa! From your profile, am I right that you're over on the east side? Some nice riding on the lake front and the Milwaukee River Parkway.

Another local resource to get your riding more...stop by Bay View Bike Club's monthly meeting ( http://www.bayviewbikeclub.org/ ). Often considered a social club that happens to ride, they may give you the encouragement to get out and ride more.

Hello and welcome Marissa.

I live in the Milwaukee area as well. I definitely agree with Thorn that there are lots of great places to ride your bike in and around this city.

Another way that got me out riding more in the beginning was to sign up for some organized rides. It's nice to have the route all planned out for you, other people to ride with, drinks and snacks at the rest stops, and mechanical support.

Check the local bike shop's websites and you'll find weekly ride groups for all different levels of riders. It's a great way to make new cycling buddies and gain more confidence in your riding skills.

I'm sure you'll love commuting. I try to commute to work as much as possible and it is a wonderful way to brighten up a work day.

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I'm on the East Side. Not familiar with Wilmot, though.

Last Thursday, my dh and I went to Crank Daddy's and purchased bikes! We've gone out several times since then and just love it. I haven't biked to work yet, because after a 10 year hiatus and not yet confident enough to bike in the street. I have trouble keeping balance every time I start and stop, so I may lower the seat until I feel safer. When I'm back into the swing of things I'll definitely be looking for group rides.

Ah, I used to live in Madison and my BF lived in Milwaukee... Crank Daddy's was his favorite shop.

Welcome to TE and happy riding!

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    Crank Daddy's was his favorite shop.
    My supreme speed reading skills read that as Crack Daddy's
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Hi Marissa

My first bike was a hybrid and it served me well! Use it to go the the shops now, only issue was the wheels aren't built with the same strength as that of a mountain bike or a roadie, so I had a small issue of breaking spokes.

They're cheaper bikes and easy to maintain

Oh and its the first step to getting a roadie

Happy Riding!
    If my bike where a man I'd be married!