Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shut that saddle up!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My saddle creaks. Not all the time, but maybe 75% of the time. I've been quite happy with it (although I am getting some soreness on my sit bones after longer rides so it may be time to look for something else) and I don't really want to replace it, but the creaking is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

Oh, if it helps, the creaking happens when I lean on the nose at all. It also sometimes happens when I'm sitting back a little farther. Hehe I'm sure that really clarified things.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

You can try loosening the clamp and re-tightening it.

But mine's been ticking, and I know a rail's coming loose and it's time to replace it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

A little grease on the rails? Particularly if the saddle itself rubs against the rail. I had a saddle where I needed to apply grease between the rails where it met the nose.

Is it a Brooks? If so, it probably needs to be re-tensioned.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Wear earplugs?

heeheehee
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Wd40

I would spray the metal parts under the saddle with a tiny bit of WD40.

I've used it on squeaky bike pedals and door hinges -- made them quiet as dust in a church.
    Last edited by kathybiker; 05-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.

I wouldn't use WD-40 but silicone spray might work well.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

I tried squirting some T9 into the space where the rails go into the saddle frame, to no avail. I also tried removing the seatpost, cleaning and lubing it, and putting it back in, but unsurprisingly that didn't do a thing, either. I'm going to try loosening and re-tightening the bolts holding the saddle to the seatpost next.

BTW this is a Jett 143 we're talking about. I bought it in July 2007 and have put about 12,500 miles on it since then. If I bought another Jett, am I likely to have the same issues?
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Graphite lubricant? I've never tried it, but I've read it works on saddle squeaks.

I recently had a really annoying creak/clicking sound coming from the saddle area.
    Turned out to be the seatpost.
    No matter how minor, after a few hours' ride even the slightest creak can drive you nuts! I hope you find yours soon!

Just one point - you say you lubed your seatpost. I'm assuming it's not carbon - or if it is, you used carbon paste and not standard lube?
    Sorry, don't mean to insult your intelligence - just a knee-jerk reaction!
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    I tried squirting some T9 into the space where the rails go into the saddle frame, to no avail. I also tried removing the seatpost, cleaning and lubing it, and putting it back in, but unsurprisingly that didn't do a thing, either. I'm going to try loosening and re-tightening the bolts holding the saddle to the seatpost next.
    Here is advice from Georgena Terry, founder of Terry Precision Bicycles, about silencing a squeaky saddle:

https://www.terrybicycles.com/faq/in...=15&artlang=en

By the way, T9 is a waxy substance not made to stop squeaks, but to provide a filmy protectant against rust and dirt.

WD40 is a lubricant that could work on your saddle rails. Use a small amount. This is might be the easiest fix. (Don't use WD40 on other components of your bike, only the seat parts -- not the chain.)

Silicone sprays sometimes aren't intended for metal-to-metal surfaces, so check out the product specs if you're going to buy one of those.