Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

the trees in the decking are juneberries. I love those trees.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I'd do it... if they paid decently!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Depends on you and your personality. Some people love attention and publicity; others don't. Only you can decide.

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    Well it's about the house, not about me. (fortunately ). It's kinda difficult, because i really think our architect can use the publicity. But on the other hand...
    I think Pam just meant: do what you are personally comfortable with...
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

If it were me, I'd do it under the condition that I and the house location remained anonymous. The architect would still get some press.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'm with Zen on not publishing the local. Though if peeps really wanted to find it bad enough they would. It's sad... but unfortunately there are a lot of crazies in the world.

I think I am in the love camp for your house. I was just thinking about mine the other day. I've come to the point in life I don't need all the "stuff" I had before. I hate the decor, etc. Give me open, clean, simple. It can translate to... spectacular.

I say if you are ok with it, go for it!

I'd do it, too. I'd cleanse my house of all the things like family pictures that could identify me. But I'd let them do any pictures they want.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Do you want some exposure for your architect? Are you doing this for him?

Or do you want the photos of your house in magazines so you have once in a lifetime opportunity to have your house showcased? Some people really try to have their house showcased in a local paper "house of the month" and so on. It will be nice memory for the future.

If you have expensive collection of ??? then I would definitly put those away for the photo shoot. You don't want to look like you have prized possesions.

It sounds like your house will be showcased for eco friendly, modern and comfortable. A very nice combo. Exterior is very pretty and love the deck with the trees. It really brings nature right up to the house.

Maybe have a reference to your architect's name and reference you as the couple who commissioned the design. No name. Just a client of the architect...

enjoy your new house.

Fortunately they never mention where the house is located. Only the province and the country. My house is not so easy to find because our road really goes nowhere. It used to be a main road, but that was some 50 odd years ago. Now there's only very local passing.

The exterior pictures are for the architect, the interior pics are for my 'work'. I don't have expensive furniture but it are original pieces. I call my interior shabby chic.

And I don't have pictures of my family in my home. I never do that. I don't know why, guess I carry them in my heart.
    Last edited by papaver; 05-09-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Papaver - going from memories of a neighbor of my parent's house being photographed.... the conditions are in the contract. For interior shots, the higher end magazines will have a crew and stylists that could concieveably come in, strip many things out of your house and temporarily store them in a storage unit, then redecorate- to the point that you may not even recognize your own home when you see the photo layout. As for exterior shots, even that would be stipulated in a contract, and they certainly wouldn't be giving out your address - "HERE's the new home of The Papavers on 1234 Happy Valley Road, isn't it wonderful, designed by John Doe!!!"

As I recall, when my parent's neighbors house interior was the focus - log cabin, Americana furnishings, and Thanksgiving dinner. The shoot was in July. Of course they wanted a blazing fire going in the fire place. So blazing fire, in July, in Texas. The a/c unit was working overtime. I'm not sure who paid the electricity bill that month. Their name was in the magazine, "home of Mr. & Mrs. Smith of Austin, TX" but unless you knew them, you wouldn't be able to find the house. And as I recall, it was "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", no first name.

If they want to focus on the architect, then it should be "home designed by John Doe, architect in the yourcityhere", area. It's about him, and his designs. Not really about you.
    Beth

Very cool, Papaver! The whole concept!

Apparently, I wouldn't do it. I know because the place we got our cabinets and countertops from asked afterward if they could come in and take some shots for a commercial they were putting together. I was very flattered (I designed it myself), and very excited at first, but then started feeling uncomfortable. I ended up declining. Probably due to my upbringing, and the feeling that I was bragging somehow. Now the entire house is a perpetual mess , so nobody would ever ask that again!

Well, we talked about it and we are going to say yes for the exterior shots but we will not go for the interior shots. It's a bit too intimate.

The interiorshots are really about my interior design (i'm pretty good at it). I sometimes use my house as a setting for my work (advertising) and then we take pics of a detail of my interior and not a whole room. I have no problems with a pic of my wallpaper or something like that, but I don't want everybody to see my library where I relax...

Do i make sense?

I'd do it, and in fact, I've done it--for a local home style magazine. Ours was just for an interior renovation. It was a great experience, although I would say it was a little unnerving to see your story in print. We were at home the entire time and the photographer didn't move anything. The architect did get a lot of publicity. Surprisingly, the magazine did a recap just last summer of "favorite re-dos". I didn't know about that one until the magazine hit the shelves.

Your house is so incredibly cool! I really like your contemporary, eco-friendly design.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My SO's house has been in a magazine. The interior was the focus, since it was a total renovation. It's very modern (originally built in the 1960s). One thing that the magazine wanted to know but that he did not divulge was the cost of renovation/construction. That was off limits.

I think you should do it. Since you have multiple requests, choose carefully. Your architect would probably have the best ideas of which requests are worth responding to.

by the way, your house looks wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    Well, we talked about it and we are going to say yes for the exterior shots but we will not go for the interior shots. It's a bit too intimate.

The interiorshots are really about my interior design (i'm pretty good at it). I sometimes use my house as a setting for my work (advertising) and then we take pics of a detail of my interior and not a whole room. I have no problems with a pic of my wallpaper or something like that, but I don't want everybody to see my library where I relax...

Do i make sense?
    Sounds like a good decision!

I would allow the photographers to come in and take their pictures. If you have good security, as you said, there will be no problem.
    But - I am biased because architectural photography is my hobby so I often call up people to ask for permission to take pictures of their homes...
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes