Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
    Third, I am all for raw diets. However, too many people that feed them do not feed them correctly and feed diets that consist solely of necks and wings because these are cheap cuts. There has to be meaty pieces in there: breasts, thighs, etc., or you run the risk of blockages from the bones. The necks and wings are simply not meaty enough.
    You'll note that I recommended them for supplemental feeding to help get her teeth clean a safe, natural way. I merely mentioned that my dogs teeth have also benefited from their raw diet for emphasis.

Further, I really don't place much stock in the opinion of conventional vets. I've seen the ingredients on the insanely overpriced "prescription" diets they pawn off on people and they make me sick. Not only are people paying too much for them, they're effectively buying corn flakes and hot dogs dressed in a little left overs from the brewery.

Feeding dogs recreational bones, or chicken necks is a great way to not end up needing the cleaning in the first place. I think that's valuable info for anyone who cares about their animals health. I didn't know that until a few years ago, and I'm glad I learned. Lucky, my terrier was supposed to have a cleaning and within two months on a raw diet her teeth were gorgeous and my vet was amazed.

I can understand being dubious of the anesthesia free cleaning but the gals that do it are amazing. We had multiple cats at the first clinic and you never would have known. So I imagine that after 8 years of school the gals that do the clinic are aware of what needs to be done and do so.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

Quote Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
    Further, I really don't place much stock in the opinion of conventional vets. I've seen the ingredients on the insanely overpriced "prescription" diets they pawn off on people and they make me sick. Not only are people paying too much for them, they're effectively buying corn flakes and hot dogs dressed in a little left overs from the brewery.

I can understand being dubious of the anesthesia free cleaning but the gals that do it are amazing. We had multiple cats at the first clinic and you never would have known. So I imagine that after 8 years of school the gals that do the clinic are aware of what needs to be done and do so.
    8 years of what? School for anesthesia-free dentals?

As for the prescription diets, people need to understand they are designed to treat a particular issue and they do it. Most people do not have the expertise, time, or nutritional education to be able to fix an appropriate diet for their animals with certain health issues. If someone does, then by all means they should make their own food. But the prescription diets have their place. They're not perfect but not much is in life.
    "A bicycle does get you there and more. And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun."

Well, today Shoni had here teeth cleaned and while she was under they also removed some "tumor" like bumps off of her neck and back. They ended up having to pull 3 of her teeth. She is pretty sleepy right now and I can tell she does not feel her best, my poor little baby girl. Every so often she growns a bit. I know/hope it is only temporary. She has to wear one of those cones so she won't lick her sutures. I plan to give her all the love in the world.

Poor Shoni. I hope that she is feeling much better by morning. Keep her warm and comfy tonight, and stay with her. She'll appreciate it. It's always hard to see them that way after anesthesia. They are so sad. Glad things seem to have gone well.
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Ugh, I took my Heidi to the vet last week for her shots and he said her teeth are bad. He said from a visual exam it appears she needs some pulled. She is a tiny miniature schnauzer and already had two pulled two years ago. My poor baby is going to need doggie dentures soon and she is only 7! She hates chewing, so getting her to assist in cleaning has never worked for her the little Diva.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Chicken necks are not a bad idea, Smurf - I do want to advise a little caution on chicken - sometimes my dogs do not deal well with the cartilage, and puke it back up later (the bone is fine). And I agree with you on the packaged food... one of the biggest scams of our current day. I also agree with Hef that most people lack the nutritional education to figure out what it is their dog needs (let alone THEMSELVES). Good on you both for figuring out what it takes to keep your buddy healthy.

Something I'd like to add: if a dog is not used to raw, it takes a while for the body to adjust - even in a young dog, I'm told you can look forward to two weeks of the runs (mine didn't have this problem). I'm not sure I'd advocate doing this with an old dog whose teeth are in rough shape - you could *try* a large bone or so, since he'd have to work to get the meat off and likely wouldn't manage to ingest much of the bone itself, especially if his teeth are not feeling great.

Quote Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
    Third, I am all for raw diets. However, too many people that feed them do not feed them correctly and feed diets that consist solely of necks and wings because these are cheap cuts. There has to be meaty pieces in there: breasts, thighs, etc., or you run the risk of blockages from the bones. The necks and wings are simply not meaty enough. Please, if you are going to feed raw, make sure to feed plenty of *meaty* cuts, too. I have seen way too many blockages come through the clinic from people who think they are feeding a great raw diet and since they are only feeding necks and wings, their animals block up. Done properly, a raw diet is a great way to keep teeth clean and animals healthy and regular. I'm not saying never feed necks or wings, just make sure to make those the smallest part of the diet. Just make sure to research raw diets well before throwing some chicken parts to your dogs.

Off my soapbox now
    Seconded. I'm a raw feeder - yes it costs more to get pork, organ meat, beef and some of the bigger cuts, but it is NECESSARY in order to ensure the dog's health. Big, raw bones with marrow are also needed - they need the marrow in their diets.

My older dog is not geriatric at 7 years old - but her teeth are beautiful. A dogsitter got confused seeing some of the age in her face (hair from cornering a cat grew back in white) and tried to guess her age at three because her teeth are so pretty. It is work to keep dogs on a raw diet... but it is worth it.
    Last edited by grey; 05-20-2009 at 05:02 AM.

doggie

Solobiker, how is your doggie today?

She is doing much better today. Her eyes are brighter and she is moving around with more energy. DH and I had given her a new stuffed animal the day she came home and she was not interested in it at all. Today she playing with it She is such a trooper. Thanks for asking!!

I have mixed feeling about this. The practical part of me says not to do it, only because dogs have lived hundreds and thousands of years without getting their teeth cleaned. I don't even have dental insurance, why the heck would i pay for my DOG to get its teeth cleaned?

I realize it is important, but for older dogs, I don't believe it's worth the risk AT ALL. My 8 yr old Boston Terrier just died last week after having complications with the anesthesia after his dental They did a full blood panel, he was perfectly healthy before, and then was just gone. He didn't have any problems with his teeth at all, we had just been getting pressured by the vet to get it done. I would take it back in a heartbeat. I'd rather have a dog with no teeth than no dog at all.
    --Coral

I'm sorry, grey...that is so sad and senseless.

I had my dog's teeth cleaned when he was already being sedated to have a cyst removed from his neck. He was 5 at the time, and I figure he's good for at least another 5 years.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Unhappy

OMG Grey..I am SO so sorry for your huge loss . The vet should feel every bit of guilt... It was NOT your fault...you did every bit of prep necessary and we just don't know when a dog's systems will react so poorly to it. I am sure you are devastated at the loss of your Boston. I'm a fellow dog mom and I can feel that pain. I SO wish I could take it away. I feel horrible that happened to your baby.
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

thanks guys :\ It's been really really hard. Like I mentioned, he was older, but we only had him for 3 years. I miss him so much.

That's Frank, our Boston with Gus, our Pug. Gus really misses his brother too. He's been moping around ever since we lost him. I'm so hesitant to get a dental done on Gus now too, brachycephalic dogs are so much more susceptible to problems with anesthesia than other dogs. He's only 5, but still.
    --Coral

Grey, I am sooo sorry for your loss. Such a cute picture. It was a very hard decision for DH and I to make as Shoni is our child and has been with us for 12 years. Once again, I am so sorry that happened.

Grey that is terrible! I am sorry for your loss as we are still getting over Maggie and we knew it was coming, days get easier but us doggie moms (and dads) still miss our babies. ((HUGS))

I am still trying to decide on Heidi. She has visible teeth issues but still eats like a pig. It is a hard call because after Maggie I can't bear to lose Heidi now. We got her as a puppy and she is only 8 years young. Again I am sorry you did what you thought was best and now your little Frank has passed.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan