Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: BREAD baking

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Looks great, bleekerstgirl. If we did it, we would be double-loading the dough with the olives, sundried tomatoes!
    I know what you mean! But last time I made it, i did double load it and the Kalamatta olives became just too salty and overpowering, and the bread was too tomato-y, not in a good way, believe it or not. K.olives are very powerful stuff, especially when baked in!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This thread is such a bad (but tasty) influence. I got frustrated with the weekly fighting to get bread from our local bakery (they never know when it will be out, whether they have any, they'll tell you do and then you get there and it's not out of the oven, etc., etc.). I made the basic Boule yesterday (before I stopped to buy the book - I had the wrong yeast measure off the internet and it STILL worked), and I'm in love.

My next project is to see if I can replicate the bread type I've liked. It's a whole wheat sourdough (but not very dark), so I think the basic recipe from the HABin5 will work. However, it has what I think are wheatberries scattered through it. I have some soaking - can you use them in dough after soaking but without sprouting? The ones in the bread we've bought didn't LOOK sprouted. Any idea how much of them to add to the recipe? Or how long they should soak before I do? Any other ideas/tips? I wouldn't think I'd need to adjust the other quantities much.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

The Volkornbrot recipe uses wheat berries. It has more water in it than the typical recipes, and instructs you to not use the dough for 24 hours, to enable the wheat berries to absorb moisture.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Smile

So...to follow up on my request:

I think I've found my magic bread recipe (or at least one that makes me very happy as a daily loaf). I'm using the recipe from the original book (I think it's called light wheat - it's 5.5 cups white to 1 cup wheat). To that I add 1/2 cup of wheatberries that have been soaked overnight in cool water or quick soaked in nearly boiling water (until it cools). Love the flavor and texture - it's whole wheat without being too dense or chewy.

I still want to try olives in the plain dough - but it's always much stickier and I haven't quite figured out how to add them. All in good time
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I still want to try olives in the plain dough - but it's always much stickier and I haven't quite figured out how to add them. All in good time
    I never had success folding the olives in before the second rise. They would all end up in one place and usually along the top of the loaf. I just dump them into the initial mix and they distribute evenly.