Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAD baking

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Baking bread in a cast iron pot

To disable ads, please log-in.

I tried this technique today with sourdough bread, and it came out wonderfully! The truly PERFECT crust!
    Here are some pix, but I described it in detail in my home blog, here:
    http://strumelia.blogspot.com/2009/0...utch-oven.html
    I'll definitely be making this again!! Mmmmmmm.....

Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Beautiful! You are truly the Bread Queen! I've been making my own bread for at least a month now-- haven't bought any. It's so easy and delicious. I might have to spring for that book so that I can expand my technique horizons a bit.

Too bad you can't put tastes on your blog!

That is just gorgeous, Lisa!

I'll try it soon.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    That is just gorgeous, Lisa!

I'll try it soon.

Karen
    Thanks you guys!

The recipe I used is found here:
    http://mysisterskitchen.wordpress.co...irs-sourdough/
    Lisa

Pass the butter and jam.

I even have some fresh blueberry jam to smear on those loaves BleekerSt. Sigh
    Beth

After baking a few more varied types of round bread loaves in my cast iron Dutch oven pot, I see that the crust comes out by far the BEST this way, and without needing a steam pan or spraying the loaves either. Very simple! The crusts are coming out absolutely PERFECT- thin, crackly crisp, and golden.
    Using a piece of parchment makes it easy to just lower the risen loaf gently into the hot pot, cover quickly, and bake, parchment and all.

I ordered a second Dutch oven of the same size as my ancient garage sale one (6 qts), so that I can bake my usual 2 loaves both at once in the oven. Both pots will fit side by side, and it will save 45 minutes of oven 'on' time and saves me additional running around when timing and tending two baking loaves in succession.

This afternoon I made a regular white boule with white sesame seed topping, and a parmesan cheese-laced boule with black sesame crust. The dough for those two loaves had been in the fridge for about a week already. (I think 10 days is the max I want to go on storing the dough {the book says 12 days is max}, and it definitely has better flavor and texture when stored at least 2 or 3 days)

I also mixed up a wet sticky sour dough batch today (enough for 2 loaves) which will sit overnight on the counter and get baked tomorrow afternoon. That'll be enough bread for the next 3 or 4 days.

I love the convenience of simply mixing up dough batches ahead of time and then refrigerating them until it's convenient to bake a loaf or two. This bread method really suits my lifestyle, as opposed to years ago when I had to spend a whole day baking bread from start to finish. The bread is 100 times superior, too!
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 06-02-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Lisa

I'm going to get a dutch oven! I bet Southern States carries them.

I found a source for local (relatively) flour. My local Kroger carries flour that is grown and milled in Virginia. It's about a dollar more than the regular Gold Label flour, but it's worth it to be 'cause it's local.

This bread is fantastic, just like Lisa says. It's so great to have the dough in the fridge ready to bake. I took a loaf to a small luncheon on Sunday and it was a huge hit.

It think I'm going to swing for the book. I've been using recipes from the NYT adapted from the book. It's time I get the book.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I'm going to get a dutch oven! I bet Southern States carries them....

...This bread is fantastic, just like Lisa says. It's so great to have the dough in the fridge ready to bake. I took a loaf to a small luncheon on Sunday and it was a huge hit.

It think I'm going to swing for the book. I've been using recipes from the NYT adapted from the book. It's time I get the book.
    I ordered my Dutch oven from here, I think someone right here on TE recommended them:
    http://www.cajuncastiron.com/eshop/1...uctCode=10487A
    Of course you have to anticipate that the postage is going to be relatively high for heavy cast iron items.

I also ordered a smaller saucepan with lid and handle that will be good for cooking/heating food and water on the hot coals inside our living room woodstove when the electricity is out. Last time I used a cheap aluminum saucepan but I was afraid the hot coals would start melting it! Besides, I didn't savor heating my tea water or soup in aluminum.

I got the 6 qt dutch oven which matches the older one I have- the two will fit side by side in my oven to bake two loaves. the 6 quart is pretty big, and these artisan loaves aren't exactly huge from my recipes.
    If you don't already know, the 'camp style' Dutch ovens have a flatter lid with a lip sticking up all around the outside top to hold hot coals on top of the lid if you are baking on a campfire, thus heating/baking the food from both top and bottom. Obviously you don't need this feature in a kitchen oven, and it's better to have a traditional domed lid for bread baking, to give extra rising room for the loaf.

It's cool to not have to bother with the steam pan or spraying to get a crispy crust! But I do highly recommend using parchment to make it easy to lift and gently place the loaf into the pot without having it deflate and without burning your fingers. I don't know how else i could do it! The parchment gets brown and brittle after baking, and can only be used once. Don't worry about parchment corners sticking out from under the lid while baking.

I just had some parmesan-laced boule toast with black sesame seeds for breakfast....mmmmmm.....
    Lisa

We're going to the Buffalo National River this weekend, for canoeing, and I always bring my Dutch ovens for cooking on the coals. I'm going to make bread this time!

Karen

Seriously, if you are going to buy a cast iron Dutch oven, hit the flea markets. You will pay a good price as if it were new, but the quality in an old one will be much better. http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/20...cast-iron.html

I have a friend who has PhD in food history, and she turned me on to that blog. We've discussed this over and over, and boy does she have a gorgeous collection of cast iron!

Karen

Flea markets are my number one destination, and then Southern States farm store. I don't want to have one mailed to me, as they are so heavy. I got my favorite cast iron skillet from a consignment store. I do have a Le Creuset pot with a top, but the handle/knob of the top is some sort of plastic and I don't think I should put it in the oven. Otherwise, it would do the trick.

You can put the Le Creuset pot in the oven with the plastic top. I do it all the time.

Karen

You can put the Le Creuset pot in the oven with the plastic top. I do it all the time.
    At 450F for 45 minutes?
    I read that some people do have problems with the plastic handles. You are lucky!

Many places that sell La Creuset pots now stock the metal replacement handle specifically for high heat oven baking, you can buy it separately and screw it on yourself I think. I saw one for sale recently- or you can order one online.
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 06-03-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Lisa

Karen
    Yep, me too. It's designed for that - the 'plastic' is just the little handle and it's made of a high heat resistant material of some sort.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Yep, me too. It's designed for that - the 'plastic' is just the little handle and it's made of a high heat resistant material of some sort.
    well, I suppose I could try...and put on all my fans and open all my windows to diffuse the toxic fumes from melting plastic...sure wish it was enameled cast iron like the rest of the pot, but I gotta say, those Le Creuset folks seem to know what they are doing. I might look into the replacement handle (it's more like a knob) that Lisa mentioned.