Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Green Lentils & Polenta

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sounds like Green Eggs & Ham..err nopey

Just wondering which tastes better: Green lentils or Polenta? I have a package of each, have done a few searches round here & am now looking for a yummy introduction to either.

Anyone? Bueller?

Oooh, tough choice, both yummy.

For the polenta, you can cook it up similar to rice, then put it into a flat container and let it cool. It will solidify a bit. You can then cut it up and put it on the grill or roast it in the oven to give it a really nice flavor and texture. People often serve it with pasta-type toppings.

For the lentils, it's hard to go wrong with either a nice lentil soup or a cold salad. Lentil soup is comfort food for me. Lentils are easy to cook, they don't require pre-soaking like most legumes.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Sounds like Green Eggs & Ham..err nopey

Just wondering which tastes better: Green lentils or Polenta? I have a package of each, have done a few searches round here & am now looking for a yummy introduction to either.

Anyone? Bueller?
    Love lentils. I have a nice recipe for lentils with brown rice (I think) and vegies. Yummy on a cold night.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

hmm

Trekhawk..next time we do a ride, can i see the recipe?

MsI-thanks! I shall experiment..

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Trekhawk..next time we do a ride, can i see the recipe?

MsI-thanks! I shall experiment..
    Of course!
    I will track it down today so I don't forget to give it to you on our next ride.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Is it instant polenta, or regular? Regular needs a little more attention, i.e. fairly constant stirring once it starts to thicken, otherwise it will stick. It's good as a porridge with sauce, or you can cool, slice and fry it as MsIncredible said. Any red sauce is good on polenta. One of my favorite recipes is just broccoli cooked to death in the Italian way. Peel the stalks, chop stalks and florets finely, mince some garlic and saute it all in plenty of olive oil until it's very soft, half an hour or more, stirring regularly so it doesn't burn or stick. Then just salt to taste. So simple, and it really brings out the sweetness of the broccoli, and it's delicious over polenta with some parmigiano reggiano on the side, or shaved/grated over the top.

Lentils, there are the French green lentils (kind of shaped like mung beans but a little smaller and a deep dark green), then sometimes you'll see what I know as brown lentils (the familiar round flat thin ones) labeled as "green lentils". The French green lentils have a nuttier and richer flavor and thicker skins, but I'll use them interchangeably. Probably French green lentils are better for salads just because of their thicker skins. Mostly I just make a simple lentil soup with whatever vegetables and herbs happen to be on hand. It's really one of our go-to meals when we don't have the energy for something elaborate or just can't think of what to fix. Try it with barley and a little thyme; or with tarragon and no grain, but bread on the side.

+1 that not having to soak lentils is a big plus. For some other options, black-eyed peas (or similar field peas and pigeon peas) also don't require soaking, and mung beans cook up quickly from dry as well.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-04-2009 at 02:56 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler