Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

These are kind of funny - especially the second one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

MIT has an hour-long video conversation with John M. Barry, author of "The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History":
    http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/499

As of 4 p.m. April 30, Barry's 2004 book has jumped to number 101 on Amazon's bestseller list:
    http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenz.../dp/0670894737
    Last edited by kathybiker; 04-30-2009 at 01:10 PM.

I work in an ER. I've been getting almost HOURLY emal updates from the CDC, the California Health Dept and the hospital infectious disease committee. For the life of me I can't understand the panic.

The incidence is lower than the regular flu. The case fatality rate is low. The disease, if you get it, is relatively mild. There's no specific treatment unless you are really sick, and then you get treated the same as any other respiratory illness. WHAT IS THE ISSUE? You'd think that smallpox had resurfaced or that Ebola was rampant if you listen to the news.

My county had not had any positive cases as of yesterday. But now there are a few in Reno, less than an hour from here. I go in to work in a few hours. I bet I spend the entire shift counselling the worried well. What a waste of resources.

Sister-in-law just emailed a memo she received from her school here in Seattle that several kids have flu like symptoms and were sent home and won't be allowed to come back for 7 days (even though none have tested positive). I am glad they are being a bit cautious without overreacting and closing down the entire school. I figure if the kids are sick, whether it is with the swine flu or another virus, they shouldn't be at school anyways.

Oh God, I knew this one was coming!

I think it's so incredibly overblown that it's just ridiculous. The news companies are making bank off of this story and that is why they are milking it as much as possible.

From what I've heard, it's not even as deadly as the regular flu! Older folks and children have always been more suseptible to every virus, this one included. I don't think it's the end of the world or that we're all going to die.

On a sort of creepy side note, this happened in 1976. I found this super creepy PSA from that "epidemic". It's funny... and really creepy at the same time:

What really worries me is this:

-When this happened in the 70's, president Ford created a plan requiring Mandatory vaccinations for all Americans.

-A major company that is working on the new vaccine is Baxter. Last December, Baxter was caught shipping live and dangerous strains of avian
    flu globally, and it was inside their avian flu vaccine! These are the guys making the swine flu vaccine now??? How are they even still in bussiness???!!!

I certainly hope we don't get a repeat of the mandatory vaccination measures they tried the first time this happened, and from Baxter none the less!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IvonaDestroi View Post
    Oh God, I knew this one was coming!

I think it's so incredibly overblown that it's just ridiculous. The news companies are making bank off of this story and that is why they are milking it as much as possible.

From what I've heard, it's not even as deadly as the regular flu! Older folks and children have always been more suseptible to every virus, this one included. I don't think it's the end of the world or that we're all going to die.

On a sort of creepy side note, this happened in 1976. I found this super creepy PSA from that "epidemic". It's funny... and really creepy at the same time:

What really worries me is this:

-When this happened in the 70's, president Ford created a plan requiring Mandatory vaccinations for all Americans.

-A major company that is working on the new vaccine is Baxter. Last December, Baxter was caught shipping live and dangerous strains of avian
    flu globally, and it was inside their avian flu vaccine! These are the guys making the swine flu vaccine now??? How are they even still in bussiness???!!!

I certainly hope we don't get a repeat of the mandatory vaccination measures they tried the first time this happened, and from Baxter none the less!!!
    The swine flu of 1976 killed ONE person. The vaccine induced Guillian-Barre syndrome in hundreds and killed over 50. There were millions of dollars in lawsuits over than vaccine, which the US government covered. But it put a huge damper on the companies which make vaccines. Many refused to make any more because of liability. So the technology that we have to make vaccines now is decades old. It can be traced back to the last swine flu scare.

Quote Originally Posted by IvonaDestroi View Post
    Older folks and children have always been more suseptible to every virus, this one included.
    Most viruses, this one included, and "this one included" is what the virologists have just deduced in the past couple of days. Initial reports were that it was killing predominantly healthy adults with strong immune systems. That was the hallmark of Spanish flu. The virus provoked such a strong immune response that healthy individuals died of pneumonia. Children, the elderly, and those with otherwise weakened immune systems disproportionately survived Spanish flu. That's the characteristic that has them so wary of avian flu, as well.

It's true that it's unknown how many people died of secondary bacterial infections in the 1918 epidemic. However, just as this isn't 1918, it isn't 1965 either. We now have lots of antibiotic-resistant organisms, and I'm reading that flu viruses are already becoming resistant to over-used antivirals as well. Whether or not this is "the one," and it's increasingly appearing that it isn't, IMO it's silly to think it's not coming.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This article discusses the issue of immune response in younger people.

Ivona, I don't think the vaccine was mandatory in the earlier swine flu scare. It was strongly encouraged, but I didn't get one and I don't think many of my friends did either. I did know someone who developed Guillain Barre syndrome, and it put me off getting flu shots for years.

Pam
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-30-2009 at 03:18 PM.

In the Y2k scare I had a rosary as my back up plan. I'm going to go look for it now.

not touchin' that one...
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

My understanding of the threat comes by comparing seasonal flu with this current virus, which is swine flu and now designated "Influenza A(H1N1)" by the World Health Organization.

Seasonal flu is a common respiratory illness that is spread from person to person. A healthy person might contract it, but usually their immune system is strong enough to fight off serious complications. Vaccinations also can protect us from seasonal flu.

In contrast, we have no natural immunity to Influenza A(H1N1). It too is spread from person to person, but there is no vaccine for it.

CDC statistics for the U.S. indicate seasonal flu-related causes most often kill the elderly and children under five years old. See: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm

In comparison, WHO said many of the Influenza A(H1N1) deaths "have occurred in otherwise healthy young adults". See: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/index.html

Medical professionals are familiar with diagnosing and treating seasonal flu. On the other hand, no one really knows how severe or mild Influenza A(H1N1) will be.

"Let me remind you. New diseases are, by definition, poorly understood. Influenza viruses are notorious for their rapid mutation and unpredictable behaviour," said Dr. Margaret Chan, WHO Director-General, in her April 29 press statement.
    See:
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html

We do know that in recent days Influenza A(H1N1) is spreading rapidly. This fact, plus our lack of immunity and lack of a vaccine, are sources of anxiety and give us reasons to practice risk prevention.

The Center for Disease Control's web site says, "In the past, CDC received reports of approximately one human swine influenza virus infection every one to two years in the U.S., but from December 2005 through February 2009, 12 cases of human infection with swine influenza have been reported." See:
    http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

As of April 30, swine flu Influenza A(H1N1) numbers for 2009 in the U.S. have grown to 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico had 97 human cases of infection and seven deaths . See:
    http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_30_a/en/index.html

These numbers show the spread of Influenza A(H1N1) is much more rapid than swine flu has been in recent times.

When the World Health Organization upped their alert status for a pandemic, i.e. global outbreak, of Influenza A(H1N1) to Phase 5 yesterday, they were signaling a high probablity of worldwide swine flu outbreak. See:
    http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian.../en/index.html

Right now the World Health Organization doesn't know how debilitating or deadly this outbreak of swine flu might be. CDC doesn't know. The media doesn't know.

Yes, maybe Influenza A(H1N1) will turn out to be a mild disease that most people will recover from quickly, but it can't hurt to:

* Stock up on food, health items, sanitation and comfort items
    * Avoid contact with people in public places
    * Wash your hands more often
    Last edited by kathybiker; 05-01-2009 at 05:26 AM.

I've been reading everyone's responses to this and entertained by a few . I think there are reasons to be concerned but not to flip out about it. The only thing has me even slightly concerned is that I'm running the Mini Marathon in Indianapolis with 35,000 other runners from many different countries. I don't know if I should be worried about contracting the Swine flu and dying or just simply having a heart attack and dying trying to run 13.1 miles. It begs the question .

On a serious note though, I am a little worried about being in such close proximity with that many people.

My company has been taking the normal precautions. Sending us helpful information, asking us to go to the doctor if sick and limiting outside visitors to our office. No panic though. My mother works for the state health agency, haven't had a chance to see how that is different.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

aghh

I saw a great word today to describe the reaction to this..

PANICDEMIC..

The media should be ashamed.

I received an automated call yesterday afternoon from my daughter's school informing us that a student was sent home from school because one of the student's parents had the swine flu. The student's father, a World Bank employee, had just traveled to Mexico. One of my daughter's friends called last night to say that her mom was keeping her home from school today as a precaution. I respect her decision but I don't think it's necessary. Much to my daughter's dismay, she will be going to school today On the other hand, when my ex-husband finds out, my daughter might be quarantined