Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I second what Biciclista et al said about moving your hands around. This was one of the main things I learned as a noob. That plus I was tensing my shoulders which didn't help.

Your seat might be a little low (just a guess). You do look happy!

Pam

In the first photo it looks like your wrists are lower than the level of the bar. Usually, flat bar bikes are set up with the brake levers about 10 to 15 degrees below the horizontal plane so that when your finger are on the levers and palms on the bar your wrist is straight. This might be something your bike shop can help you with.

I would also encourage you to invest in some bar-ends, because they will let you put your hands in the more neutral "hand-shake" position at least part time while riding.

The other thing I notice is that it appears that you may be locking your elbows. I can't be sure because of the long sleeves. Try to make a conscious effort to relax your grip, keep your wrists straight and elbows slightly flexed. All much easier said than done. I often ride with one hand just touching the bar or even on my thigh to give the nerves a break.

Try different brands of gloves. For me the Specialized gloves work better than PI.

We do need another picture with you leg maximally straightened to better judge whether you need to raise/move your seat. The goal isn't to have a perfectly straight leg but with less angle than you are showing in any of the pictures on this round.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Loosen the velcro that closes around your gloved wrist- that used to make my hands numb even though it didn't 'seem' tightly closed.

Dont point your toes as your pedal comes back up- concentrate on relaxing your ankles so the your heels stay down more. Riding with pointed toes can put more pressure on the ball of the foot, causing numbness or foot pain. People who ride horses are always told to keep their heels down.

Relax your shoulders and your hand grip.

It does look almost as though your saddle is a tad low.
    Aslo- it's hard to tell, but the sun/shadows make it look like you are sticking your elbows out to the sides- that would not help your hands. Keep shoulders and elbows down and relaxed.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree, the seat looks a little low. It's my experience that new riders usually think a seat at the proper height is too high. In fact I accidentally scared a friend who was thinking of getting a bike and going riding with me when she saw how high the seat is on my bike (it's actually higher than usual in proportion to the rest of the bike because I'm so short-waisted and long legged that in order to get the top tube short enough, my frame is just a little short for me for standover). She backed out so quick it left a vacuum, LOL!

Gloves that are too small will cause some numbness or pressure points, you might try the next size up. When I was thin I wore XS gloves or kids gloves; now that I'm *MRRRPH ahem* not so thin (cough cough) I wear a women's medium. That took more getting used to than going from a 2 to a 16. 18. 16. Well it varies a little.

Changing hand positions is really important for wrist and hand problems, that's why some people do better actually with road bikes than mt. bikes, a road bike offers so many different ways to hold on. Bar ends are probably a really good idea on your hybrid, as others have mentioned already.
    By charity, goodness, restraint, and self-control men and woman alike can store up a well-hidden treasure -- a treasure which cannot be given to others and which robbers cannot steal. A wise person should do good. That is the treasure that cannot be lost.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

The word of God comes down to man as rain to soil, and the result is mud, not clear water
    - The Sufi Junayd

Wow, guys, thanks for the suggestions!

Ok, to address each thing...

I do wear fingerless gloves and I think the gel padding in the palm is causing me more issues than not. I am going to address that.

I have these grips on my bike as of this morning: http://www.ergonbike.com/us/grips/gr2.html and I am, and have been, constantly changing my hand position., shaking my hands out, wiggling fingers, etc.. Today's ride was much better with the new grips, by the end (11.5 miles on mostly trails) I didn't have numbness, but I did get that zing when I would bump my hands that tells me that my nerves were annoyed with me.

Now, I did mess around with the seat yesterday, I brought it forward and then back again (because it was *way* too far forward) and now I probably need to readjust the height. I think the first pic I posted is my fully extended leg shot, but I might be wrong. DH isn't home right now but I will get him to take another pic when he gets home and I will freeze just for all of you and not wear long sleeves, either, so you can see how my elbows look when I am riding. All in the name of science, right? I was actually noticing that they seemed turned out as I rode today. I will work on relaxing those. I was also thinking about how I missed being able to get down into the drops like I used to when I was a kid on my 12-speed (oh sooooo loooooong ago At some point I think I will look into new handlebars but I need to get more miles in so DH knows I am serious about riding. I, um, tend to get all zilla'd about something, spend $$$$ on it, and then it goes by the wayside.

My feet felt a lot better today, too. I got my new Keen Commuters and they are much stiffer than the tennis shoes I had been riding in. I have rat trap pedals and I think that the softer shoes were flexing too much and my feet were wrapping around the pedal (I also have very wide feet). I have considered switching to BMX platforms because they are much wider than the pedals I have and I think that would help, too.

Stem height. I have an old quill stem setup, so finding stems seems to be rather adventurous. Very few bike shops seem to carry them, and I am not really wanting to mail order everything. But I will check around and see what I can find and see if it helps any. I'm also considering getting one of those adapters that allows you to use the newer stems (threadless?) on what I have because that would really give me a lot more flexibility than I have right now.

I think my saddle is pretty comfy for me. It's wide enough so that my sit bones are actually on it (they straddled my old saddle....owie!) and I really don't even notice it when I am riding, and I don't have any butt pain after my rides.

Thank you guys SO much for your replies. I get the impression that DH thinks I am being a prima donna because I complain about the numbness and stuff, because he has never had any of these issues. I am sure that my weight doesn't help things, but part of the bike thing is to get my rear in gear and get some of this weight off, so I gotta find the comfort level where I am currently. It's nice to have a place to go where everyone is so helpful and not getting all sneery that some fat girl would dare get on a bike, yanno?
    "A bicycle does get you there and more. And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun."

I totally get being hesitant to order parts online -- but since it can be hard to find quill stems, etc, I wanted to point you towards a website that has a huge selection of components including parts for older bikes. It's called "Alfred E. Bike" and the url is www.aebike.com. I've ordered a variety of parts (stems, bars, seatposts etc) from them and I've had a good experience. But I've never had to return anything, so I can't comment on that.

Good luck with everything .

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I try to make sure my wrists don't bend back towards me when I'm riding - so I move the shifters kinda so that they are pointing down towards the front bike wheel... it keeps my wrists in sort of a neutral straight position... If you're bending your wrists you can aggravate things and make things go numb. Move your hands around, and keep the weight off your wrists as much as possible.

You already look pretty upright.
    I second this advise about angling the brakes and shifter more so that your wrists aren't bent back as much. I have some trouble on my flat bar bike because it forces my wrists to rotate a bit inward.

What kind of pedals are you using? It looks like maybe your feet should be a bit further forward on your pedals so that the ball of your foot is more over the spindle.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I froze to death and got more pics And, no one looks good in a bike helmet, do they? And man, this is not a flattering angle for me

"A bicycle does get you there and more. And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun."

Heifzilla, I order you to stop fussing about how you look.

I don't know, the seat height doesn't look SO far off in these pictures, though you're a bit shy of 6:00 in both photos... Again, I'm no expert, but it looks within range... other opinions?

I'm thinking I stick with what I said about maybe trying a stem that has less rise though.

I'll be interested to hear other responses.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 04-28-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Heifzilla, I order you to stop fussing about how you look.

I don't know, the seat height doesn't look SO far off in these pictures, though you're a bit shy of 6:00 in both photos... Again, I'm no expert, but it looks within range... other opinions?

I'm thinking I stick with what I said about maybe trying a stem that has less rise though.

I'll be interested to hear other responses.
    I can't help it

As for the stem, can you show me an example of one with less rise? I don't even know where to look Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Heifzilla, I don't know, the seat height doesn't look SO far off in these pictures, though you're a bit shy of 6:00 in both photos... Again, I'm no expert, but it looks within range... other opinions?
    It looks different than the first picture. I think the seat is a little further forward now than it was. I can't tell if it's positioned correctly fore and aft but it's different.

Here are some links to bike fit if you want to see illustrations of how to make the adjustments you're working on. The last one in particular is to a series of videos specifically about fitting a hybrid.

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
    http://mikesbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=22&tipid=30
    http://www.ehow.com/video_2363020_hy...eight-fit.html
    By charity, goodness, restraint, and self-control men and woman alike can store up a well-hidden treasure -- a treasure which cannot be given to others and which robbers cannot steal. A wise person should do good. That is the treasure that cannot be lost.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

The word of God comes down to man as rain to soil, and the result is mud, not clear water
    - The Sufi Junayd

Quote Originally Posted by ZenSojourner View Post
    It looks different than the first picture. I think the seat is a little further forward now than it was. I can't tell if it's positioned correctly fore and aft but it's different.
    I didn't move it, so unless it moved by itself it is in the same exact spot it was earlier.

Thanks for the link to the videos. I have watched them and there was one I thought that said a weight hung down from my nose was supposed to be about an inch from the handlebars (or maybe it was in one of those other links...I saw these in another thread you replied to). My nose is not an inch away from the handlebars, so I was a little confused about that.

Mehr?

Now, I did mess around with the seat yesterday, I brought it forward and then back again (because it was *way* too far forward) and now I probably need to readjust the height.
    Was that BEFORE you took those pictures then?

I don't know, it looks different somehow - maybe it's just a different angle.

I'd suggest hitting those sites, you can really tell more about your bike's setup in person than we can tell by looking at pictures.

*CORRECTION*

Than *I* can tell by looking at pictures, LOL!

Other people can probably tell more than I can.
    Last edited by ZenSojourner; 04-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

- The Sufi Junayd

Quote Originally Posted by ZenSojourner View Post
    Was that BEFORE you took those pictures then?

I don't know, it looks different somehow - maybe it's just a different angle.
    Nope, I took those first ones this morning after I adjusted the saddle back. Then I rode, but didn't change anything. I bet it's just the difference in angle.

Those sites you linked are great sites but I figured that someone who is used to looking at people on bikes would have more info/suggestions for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
    Nope, I took those first ones this morning after I adjusted the saddle back. Then I rode, but didn't change anything. I bet it's just the difference in angle.

Those sites you linked are great sites but I figured that someone who is used to looking at people on bikes would have more info/suggestions for me.

Other people probably do. Remember I'm a loner rider, so I usually only see them from behind as they pull away, LOL!
    - Khuddhaka Patha

- The Sufi Junayd