Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recurring UTIs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies,

resurrecting an old thread here. I thought I had a run of the mill cystitis here a few days ago, but after a full day of blood in my urine and general miserableness a friend bullied me into going to the dr and sure enough, I had a kidney infection. Lucky me.

I've been taking penicillin for two days now and am back on bike, though a bit cautiously... The doc said I could "exercise at will" and we're planning to go hiking this weekend. Any reason I shouldn't do this? I realize that a kidney infection is definitely something to avoid getting again, but I do feel pretty chipper. Hoping that as long as I stay warm, drink lots and avoid exhausting myself I'll be ok.

PS. I do not in general suffer from recurring UTIs, this is only my 3rd ever.
    Last edited by lph; 10-07-2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Nothing of substance to add to this thread; just wanted to whine because I'm awake at 3 a.m. with a UTI. Can't take pyridiate for the symptoms because I have a new dr who asked that I give a urine sample for the next UTI (and he'll take my word for it after this), and pyridiate colors it orange so the dipstick test won't work.

Anytime I'm awake at 3 a.m. the world is a horrible place (brain chemistry I suspect?), and add in UTI symptoms and I'm very very miserable.

Happy Tuesday to everyone else!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Ugh. Hope you feel better soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Kitsune06 Guest
    UGH, Lph. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff though. Not sure if you're into herbal remedies or not, but marshmallow tincture is pretty commonly used to help soothe the renal system and so is dandelion tea (though the latter can be pretty bitter)

Hi, Kit, and thanks But my post was old, so it's Melalvai who needs our sympathy now. Hang in there, uti's suck, and so does 3 am!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Kitsune06 Guest
    Oh! My mistake! Feel better, Melalvai!

I've mentioned on this site before, but I had about a year of recurring UTIs that was so annoying and hated taking antibiotics for them every time. So, after some research, I found d-Mannose. It's a form of sugar that isn't processed by your body but makes the inside of the bladder slippery so the bacteria can't adhere. Works very well as prevention as well as treating full-blown UTI.

Not the cheapest stuff out there, but works very well. Whole Foods carries it.

Kitsune06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I've mentioned on this site before, but I had about a year of recurring UTIs that was so annoying and hated taking antibiotics for them every time. So, after some research, I found d-Mannose. It's a form of sugar that isn't processed by your body but makes the inside of the bladder slippery so the bacteria can't adhere. Works very well as prevention as well as treating full-blown UTI.

Not the cheapest stuff out there, but works very well. Whole Foods carries it.
    sounds like the way xylitol functions orally. Good to know.

any research on it?
    Got my drugs, better now
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

your shorts

Try boiling your shorts. It may sound odd however, it will kill off any lingering infection that may be remaining in the padding. It's helped me in the past. You may have to do this several times to avoid passing it back and forth from yourself to the shorts.

As well, the idea of washing with no soap applies to laundry as well. Try washing your shorts separately with no laundry soap.

Really great information! I've had a re-occurring bladder infection (3 times) in 8 months. I talked with my doctor, she's not an antibiotic pusher and neither am I, but we both thought this would be the best way. I think I got it from my riding shorts. I washed them with hot eater, but they were 6-10 years old and they should have been replaced a long time ago. I need to stay cleaner when I commute to work. I'm off the bike for a week, I can wait to get back on the saddle! Thank everyone!

More thread resurrection -- anyone who's dealt with this intermittently rather than all the time, what does/doesn't make a ride cause UTIs for you? I have only had mild symptoms of one a couple of times until this past weekend, when one derailed a 1000k brevet 400k in. (It definitely started within the first 200k, and I had no problems on multiple 200ks, multiple 300ks, a 400k, and a 600k this season at all; the only previous little inklings of ones were in previous years.)

My working theories are two: heat/humidity and the point in my cycle (PMS-y and expecting to start my period some time within the next 0-48 hours). Unfortunately, I can't control those, so I can't easily experiment to figure out what to change next time.

Maybe change your shorts after a certain distance on these long brevets? Bring wipes made for female anatomy? I know I have shorts that are lighter weight that I wear in hot weather; very compressive material seems to promote bacterial growth in hot/humid weather.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Maybe change your shorts after a certain distance on these long brevets? Bring wipes made for female anatomy? I know I have shorts that are lighter weight that I wear in hot weather; very compressive material seems to promote bacterial growth in hot/humid weather.
    The weird part was that I was having symptoms after like 60 miles, when other times I'd been OK for 250. Changing shorts isn't impossible although I don't usually carry a bag big enough for a spare pair.

I'll start looking for more breathable ones; 200k is about my limit for fleece-only tri shorts because eventually I want a little padding, but something in between that and my terry bellas has to exist.

I’d talk to a gynecologist or urologist about it!! I use cranberry juice and especially the lactobacillus in probiotics with its good bacteria in my regular diet. That helps me. For a few days before a long ride drinking LOTS of water to induce more frequent urination helps to flush out and mitigate infection too. If post-menopausal again talk to a gyn or urologist about low-dose vaginal estrogen cream.
    For a chamois those with a bacteriostatic layer helps too. Castelli’s progetto X2 air donna chamois works really well for me especially on long hard rides.

hoping you find a good solution antimony!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron