Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    Why is it always bus drivers who do that? Goodness. I've had similar experiences of bus drivers thinking they own the road and laws don't apply to them.
    Actually, I should have added that bus drivers in Vancouver are otherwise quite courteous. I have had only this incident in four years of riding the streets. In Montreal it would be a weekly problem.

Another reason to take the lane? I like to have an "out"--somewhere to go when the cars try to pass to closely. This is my determination on whether to ride the shoulder--do I have room to bail, if a car gets to close. Believe it or not, "taking the lane" alleviated my fear of riding on the roads. To get the hang of it, I bought one of those bright orange flags that stick out the left side of your back wheel. Cars won't risk scratching their paint..........
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by cunninghamair View Post
    one of those bright orange flags that stick out the left side of your back wheel
    WHERE oh where did you find such a thing?! I keep swearing I'm going to take one of those recumbent flags and mount it sideways. I haven't seen one that's actually meant to mount that way!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by cunninghamair View Post
    To get the hang of it, I bought one of those bright orange flags that stick out the left side of your back wheel. Cars won't risk scratching their paint..........
    I've recently thought about getting one of those flags attached to my bike, but putting a key on the end. "Do you feel lucky, punk? Wanna pass me too close? Your car will get keyed if you do, punk."
    We just passed the 3 ft. law here and nobody seems to know it (duh-it's not been very publicly announced and only the cyclists seem to know about it). I thought a sideways flag would be sure to make them aware of the 3 feet. That or a yardstick taped to my bike.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike