Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here's how to defend yourself against an alligator:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQ_tQzge_Y

(For fans of the inimitable Stephen Fry, here are a few hilarious and informative moments from a British quiz show called Qi)
    Keep calm and carry on...

Holy cow that's funny!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerz View Post
    Here's how to defend yourself against an alligator:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQ_tQzge_Y

(For fans of the inimitable Stephen Fry, here are a few hilarious and informative moments from a British quiz show called Qi)
    Goodness. I love him. I want the Jeeves series on DVD.

Did you see the Mythbusters episode where they were testing the theory that you could escape a croc chasing you by running in a zig-zag? They couldn't get the crocs or the alligators to chase them. The result: Busted: crocs probably won't chase you on land, so it doesn't matter if you zig or zag.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

<Hijack for Stephen Fry fans>

SK - you will probably enjoy this, as would all logophiles: Fry and Laurie, but not as Jeeves and Wooster.

</End hijack>
    Keep calm and carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Goodness. I love him. I want the Jeeves series on DVD.

Did you see the Mythbusters episode where they were testing the theory that you could escape a croc chasing you by running in a zig-zag? They couldn't get the crocs or the alligators to chase them. The result: Busted: crocs probably won't chase you on land, so it doesn't matter if you zig or zag.
    Yeah, they're more opportunistic predators than hunters.

They like to lie in wait until you come near, then they lunge out and grab you, pull you under, and wait for you to drown before chowing down.

They're VERY fast at the lunge thing. Like 35 or 40 feet per second, but they can only maintain that speed for something well under a second. Basically they're lightning fast in the first 12 feet or so, not so much after that.

<Hijack> I LOVE FRY AND LAURIE in any combination or separately. I loved Hugh Laurie in all the Black Adder episodes he was in. He's a great comedian. Stephen Fry has been on several Bones episodes recently playing a rather reserved psychologist. Then he reveals he used to be in a heavy metal rock band. He's a master of contrast, LOL! </Hijack>
    Last edited by ZenSojourner; 04-29-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    By charity, goodness, restraint, and self-control men and woman alike can store up a well-hidden treasure -- a treasure which cannot be given to others and which robbers cannot steal. A wise person should do good. That is the treasure that cannot be lost.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

The word of God comes down to man as rain to soil, and the result is mud, not clear water
    - The Sufi Junayd

plan

I feel a bit like a dorky planning student

I'm now curious of how the local transportation dept in that area plans for these types of creatures.

I saw that Mythbusters episode & now think they need to do it in the wild with buster. That would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I feel a bit like a dorky planning student

I'm now curious of how the local transportation dept in that area plans for these types of creatures.

I saw that Mythbusters episode & now think they need to do it in the wild with buster. That would be cool.
    This is a link to a map of Shark Valley. http://www.sharkvalleytramtours.com/biking.html

The road is open only to the tram that runs to the observation tower, bikes, and walkers. As you bike, you can see the tire marks of where the tram had to drive off the trail to avoid them gators. (That shot is along the very straight stretch of the trail - the canal runs along side the whole way do.)
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.