Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for all of the advice. I really don't have any problems with infection, I just didn't want to start if I used some chamois butter. Right now I think I'm just gonna continue with some saddle adjustments on my new saddle and get some shorts and see what happens!! I don't think I need chamois butter just yet.
    ~~Help me in the fight to cure diabetes, by either joining my team, "The Freedom Riders" at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/thefreedomriders, or by donating at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/jake for the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 12, 2010~~

Quote Originally Posted by jessica47201 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice. I really don't have any problems with infection, I just didn't want to start if I used some chamois butter. Right now I think I'm just gonna continue with some saddle adjustments on my new saddle and get some shorts and see what happens!! I don't think I need chamois butter just yet.
    i don't have infections either, but i do have that burning feeling without the butter. The first couple of rides the butter feels 'strange and akward' but after that you won't leave without it.

If I am hopping on my bike to ride a mile to town, I won't use chamois cream. Otherwise, for any "real" ride, even if it's only 10 miles, I use it and it really does make a difference for me. I spread a generous amount all over my chamois.

I am trying different kinds -- I wouldn't say I have a favorite yet. I've used Assos -- I like the menthol actually, but interestingly, unlike Aica, I found it to disappear faster than Chamois butt'r in sweaty environments. I've used Chamois Butt'r and it's fine (I'd like to try the Eurostyle version). I actually use Body Glide frequently and I think it works pretty well. It's the least messy option, although you can't reapply it hygenically like you can with the creams. However, it's quite long lasting, so it's less likely that you would need to.

Anyway, I haven't tried anything I've hated yet... Except someone here recommended Astroglide as a chamois lubricant. I tried that and it just didn't work for me -- it was gone in about 10 miles. It seemed to me to sweat off much faster than actual chamois cream.

JUST FYI - I find yeast infections and general irritations were minimized when I switched to a free and clear laundry detergent for my cycling shorts (and everything else too). No dyes or fragrances in a biodegradable formula. Given my success w/ that I'm hoping that any chamois butter would also be free and clear....any clue on that ladies?

The Astroglide comment made me think. What about lubes? Astroglide is pretty down-market imho, but there are lots of other longer lasting formulas that are specifically made for mucus membranes that might work for our biking purposes

Maybe some of these might work?
    Primo Lube link

My concern with lubes would be that some start to feel tacky after a while. Yuck! In previous threads about chamois cream others have mentioned using diaper rash cream in place of the chamois butter because they were sensitive to the ingredients in various chamois creams. You might give that a try. Aveeno makes one that is a lighter texture and washes out easily.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Another Assos chamois cream fan, here. I'll use Chamois Butt'r in a pinch, but I prefer the Assos by far. It seems less messy/goupy to me and it definitely lasts longer. It washes out easily, too. I only use it on rides of 40 miles or longer. It makes a HUGE difference in my comfort (girly bits, not sit bones).

I haven't found my 'dream' shorts yet...so until I do, I have a couple of different brands/styles that I'm wearing. Nothing I'd recommend as outstanding or anything though.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Has anyone else tried the new formula Assos?
    I want the old Assos back, with that reassuring tingle!

The new formula doesn't seem quite so mentholated (although the colour has changed from cream to blue), and the ingredients seemed to have changed from things like "Which Hazel" (sic) to a whole host of parabens and chemicals.
    It doesn't seem to last as long as the original stuff too, which is the most important downside.
    Now looking for an alternative, sadly.
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by SnappyPix View Post
    Has anyone else tried the new formula Assos?
    I want the old Assos back, with that reassuring tingle!

The new formula doesn't seem quite so mentholated (although the colour has changed from cream to blue), and the ingredients seemed to have changed from things like "Which Hazel" (sic) to a whole host of parabens and chemicals.
    It doesn't seem to last as long as the original stuff too, which is the most important downside.
    Now looking for an alternative, sadly.
    if it's blue, it's the cleaner not the creme.

Nope, it's definitely chamois creme, not cleaner ...

And it's definitely Assos.
    Bought a couple of tubs from different stores here in the UK.
    Life is Good!

bizarre... i bought mine just a couple of weeks ago and it's cream coloured.

I have the pale blue stuff too. Just bought my new jar a week ago.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

I think the cream coloured stuff is the old stock.
    That's what I'd previously used prior to the new stock.
    The tubs have also changed colour - no more red Swiss flag logo.
    Now reads "Cycling Body R&D", as per their website.

They've also changed the wording of the ingredients - no longer reads "natural"

The new stuff doesn't have the same, umm, warm glow, and tends to disappear after an hour or so.
    Life is Good!

What?! Why would they mess with a good thing??? I'm so bummed out...I liked the old formula and that it was 'natural'. I actually started using it because of the witch hazel figuring that it would help deter bacterial growth. Crap.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

ewwww. Why don't I like the idea of putting anything BLUE on my "Kaiser roll?"
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    ewwww. Why don't I like the idea of putting anything BLUE on my "Kaiser roll?"
    Honestly the idea of putting something there that has WITCH HAZEL in it is even more shuddersome, in my book.

LOL!
    By charity, goodness, restraint, and self-control men and woman alike can store up a well-hidden treasure -- a treasure which cannot be given to others and which robbers cannot steal. A wise person should do good. That is the treasure that cannot be lost.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

The word of God comes down to man as rain to soil, and the result is mud, not clear water
    - The Sufi Junayd