Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Finished my first triathlon this morning... and I kicked butt on the bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Triathlon: 4th Annual PowerMadien. All women triathlon.
    300 yard swim, 13 mile bike, 5K run.

So, we went to Athen's, Tx on Friday... because it is 90 miles from Dallas, and I wasn't going to start driving early in the morning before the event!

We chilled in this very small town... found some pasta to eat... and went to bed at a decent hour.

I could barely sleep! I was so nervous/anxious/excited! I even had *nightmares* that I didn't get there in time to set up my gear perfectly before the tri started.

So... I get up at 5:00 AM (on Sat. June 18th)... and kind of mull about eating and drinking. We pack up and leave at 5:45 AM.

Once there I unpack all my gear, set it all up just perfect for a quick transition time... and then I did some running and swimming to warm up.

I have to say that I was a little intimidated which I saw some of the competitors... I didn't see cellulite on any thighs at first... I figured I was going to be the *fatty* on the course! These ladies (most were older than me) were in amazing shape! But...as more people showed up... I started to see more ladies without perfect bodies... and I felt much better about my tiny outfit!

Then comes the pre-race meeting... that lasts around 15 minutes or so.

Finally... it is time to start!

Due to the fact that my swim time is pretty good... I was in the first group to be lined up for the pool. I was #17 in the line!

The swim was 300 yards in this very murky pool. It kind of sucked, because I had to go to my right to change lanes and make my turns. So, doing *perfect* flip turns were out of the question.

The swim portion in one word: CHAOS! At one point I had someone going slow in front of me... two people passing on my left... and someone in the left lane trying to pass those people. At that point I just stood up. Then I got back to it... and I had to breaststroke... because the girl in front me.. her freestyle was a fast my my breaststroke! I finally found a place to pass her and took off.

Out of the water, I ran over to the bikes. YEA for getting to run through gravel barefooted. I was so happy that I had an extra hand towel at my spot... the gravel/dirt had turned to nast mud and I was able to quickly clean my feet.

My transition time from swim to bike was around 1 minute! *Smile*

Then I hit the bike. I knew going into this that the running portion was going to be my weak spot, so I focused on hauling butt on the bike!

I kept my speed around 18-22 MPH the whole way... with some exceptions. I was SHOCKED! I never ride that fast! WOW!

The 13 miles just flew by... I had it over in around 40 minutes! I was truly in *awe* of myself!

The only bad thing is that I got caught behind this lady... and I didn't have the power to pass her... and some other lady was caught behind me. We were clumped up too close and I got a 2 minute penalty for drafting! I knew it was going to happen... but oh well??? I kept trying to fall behind, but I didn't want to go under 18 MPH.

Towards the end of the bike portion I started to get a stitch in my side... not good.

Off the bike and on to the running... my transition time there was very quick... under a minute.

Once running I realized that the stitch in my side was not going away... and was going to cause an issue. The 3 miles I had to run started to seem VERY FAR! I tried walking... stretching... breathing deep... rubbing on it... and the stitch was there to stay.

So I ran hunched over on the side with the stitch... and I just kept going... walking/running... I must have looked a little pathetic... because the ladies who passed by would say, "You can do it"... etc. Which was very nice as well!

I made sure that I stood up straight at the end for the pictures and to make the spectators (when they could see me) think I was in great shape! I smiled and waved!

My time overall was 1:28. I wanted 1:20... but that was darn good considering my run was really bad. I am just happy that I finished in the upper part of the pack... and that my bike portion ROCKED!!! I truly couldn't believe how good of a cyclist I was out there!

So, it was fun... and my boyfriend Jonny was kind and generous for going and supporting! I will post a link to pictures later!

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by KSH; 06-18-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks for the report, KSH! Sounds very exciting. I really admire triathletes. Training for three events............ I can't imagine. Glad you had a good time! Will you doanother one?

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Hey... here are the pictures that my boyfriend took!

http://www.sonic-convergence.com/mis...athlon_athens/

Annie... I will do another! I love training for all 3 events... really keeps me interested in working out! I would get bored if I only did 1 thing all the time!
    Last edited by KSH; 06-19-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Congrats!! That's awesome!! usually the people who enter the tri's are x-swimmers. the cramping issue is the worst.. What's the answer...do you rest or just try to run it off??

I loved that you looked good for the crowd. That's why you pushed yourself. During racing, you will almost always experience your personal best.

I did one 2 summers ago. The swim killed me and my confidence. then as soon as i jumped on my bike, i was back in the Zone. Great feeling to pass people that passed you earier in the race.

Yeah Karen!!!!! cellulite? where????? you look fine. Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to do one, I have done a few duathlons and will do a biathlon next month (run shoot run shoot run), but the tri's are out right now with my shoulder problems I haven't swam in 2 months, everytime I think it feels better and I get ready to swim it starts hurting again.

I have trained so hard and it kills me that my shoulder is bothering me, heck I just learned to swim last year and my coach thinks I rock at swimming. I may have to go to the dr. but I don't want to.
    LIFE IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by bikerINco
    Congrats!! That's awesome!! usually the people who enter the tri's are x-swimmers. the cramping issue is the worst.. What's the answer...do you rest or just try to run it off??

I loved that you looked good for the crowd. That's why you pushed yourself. During racing, you will almost always experience your personal best.

I did one 2 summers ago. The swim killed me and my confidence. then as soon as i jumped on my bike, i was back in the Zone. Great feeling to pass people that passed you earier in the race.
    The cramping issue? Well, for me, for it to truly go away, I have to just stop running... at least when it gets that bad. When I get a minor one... I can usually just slow down and stretch/run to get it worked out.

Yea... I started an open water swim clinic this past week... so I would be comfortable swimming in a lake! If you get nervous, or if it doesn't feel right... you can lose focus quick! But.... as I sure you know... in a sprint triathlon the swim does not MAKE or BREAK the event! Being good on the bike and on the run is what matters!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Quote Originally Posted by trigurl
    Yeah Karen!!!!! cellulite? where????? you look fine. Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to do one, I have done a few duathlons and will do a biathlon next month (run shoot run shoot run), but the tri's are out right now with my shoulder problems I haven't swam in 2 months, everytime I think it feels better and I get ready to swim it starts hurting again.

I have trained so hard and it kills me that my shoulder is bothering me, heck I just learned to swim last year and my coach thinks I rock at swimming. I may have to go to the dr. but I don't want to.
    Biathlon? Do you live in Texas too?

Sorry to hear about your shoulder... that really sucks! I had some knee issues from mashing on my pedals, and there for a little while, I thought I was not going to be able to compete, because of that.

It is so frustrating... when you set a goal and train for it... only to have your body tell you "no"... and there isn't much you can do about it.

Yea, I didn't go to the DR for my knee... but then again, I have to pay up to $500 before my insurance kicks in. I have to be on my death bed before that will happen!

Well, best of luck... and focus on your du/bi athlons! Those will be fun. And for what it's worth... the swimming portion in a sprint tri... is pretty short, and annoying.