Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Electrolyte Tabs?

To disable ads, please log-in.

What are your thoughts on these?

Saturday I did my longest ever ride at 62 miles. At 55 miles I started to feel the effects of dehydration (chills, dizziness). One of my riding friends gave me an electrolyte tab and that really helped me make it back to the car. I'm not sure I would have made it without that tab.

Do you use these? Which brand do you use?
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yes, I use them on rides over 50+ miles. I use Hammer Endurolytes. Just started using them 2 years ago and really made a huge difference on long hot rides.

Thanks ttaylor!

The temp gauge on my computer indicated it was 91 F when we finished so I'm sure that definitely played into my dehydration.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200

Holy cow, I would definitely use the tabs. I also use Gleukos sports mix which has electrolytes in it but is very light and not too sweet. I alternate between that and plain water.

I use Endurox Excel Electrolyte Replenisher. I find that a couple of these after a hard ride, along with plenty of water, alleviates a lot of the fatigue and the "I gotta nap" feeling.

For during a ride, I've had good luck with Vitalyte (if you want carbs) and Nuun drink tablets (if you don't want carbs).

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I use Endurox Excel Electrolyte Replenisher. I find that a couple of these after a hard ride, along with plenty of water, alleviates a lot of the fatigue and the "I gotta nap" feeling.

For during a ride, I've had good luck with Vitalyte (if you want carbs) and Nuun drink tablets (if you don't want carbs).
    Good to know! I did notice my soreness on Sunday was considerably less than on my last long ride
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200

I have used them on long (as in century plus) rides. I primarily rely on Cytomax on long/hot rides, however.

Out of curiousity though, what and how much were you otherwise drinking? Remember that the tabs will help with electrolyte replacement--which is important, don't get me wrong--but not dehydration. For that you need fluids. Also, what were you eating? Chills and dizziness can be a sign of bonking, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hi indysteel,

I was drinking out of two 24 oz Polar bottles and had refilled one of them (so three 24 oz bottles worth). Two with G2 and one plain water. I also had eaten a PB and J that morning and while riding had eaten 2 Luna bars and 2 Gu packs.

Thanks!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200

I just carry some rock salt in a baggie. It's a lot cheaper, and salt is 99% of what you sweat out, anyway.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    salt is 99% of what you sweat out, anyway.
    I went looking for data on this and couldn't find any. Do you have any references? Instinctively I find that a little hard to accept.

I know for sure I sweat out lots of magnesium, for one thing. And it really bothers me to replace sodium but not potassium - my blood pressure tends to run marginally high, and my dad has been on BP pills since he was in his 30s.

My choice is Emergen-C. I just hate the little packets. Sometimes I mix my own stuff with sugar, salt, baking soda and potassium chloride, then just take a 1:1 calcium-magnesium supplement later. But it tastes pretty funky with no flavoring.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've used Elite drops (tastless in any water bottle/camelbak bladder) or tabs. They're great and not expensive.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ASammy1 View Post
    Hi indysteel,

I was drinking out of two 24 oz Polar bottles and had refilled one of them (so three 24 oz bottles worth). Two with G2 and one plain water. I also had eaten a PB and J that morning and while riding had eaten 2 Luna bars and 2 Gu packs.

Thanks!
    Three bottles over 62 miles? I think the rule of thumb is 1 bottle per hour, minimum. So most likely you did not drink nearly enough. Possibly did not eat enough, either.

I've said this before in other threads, but I highly recommend Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guide Book. Among the many topics it covers are what and how much to eat and drink before, during and after a long ride or other endurance event. It's very helpful. I just bought the latest edition from Amazon.

This is more about sweat collection method than just sweat, but it's got data about sweat content as well...

Journal of Applied Physiology
    Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 336-341, January 1997
    SYSTEMIC CIRCULATION AND FLUID BALANCE

"Normal values for the composition of sweat induced by exercise in a hot, humid environment in healthy young men and women were (in mM) 50.8 ± 16.5 sodium, 4.8 ± 1.6 potassium, 1.3 ± 0.9 calcium, 0.5 ± 0.5 magnesium, and 46.6 ± 13.1 chloride."

So maybe 99% is a slight exaggeration, but it's not incredibly far off.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

cool, thanks!

Now I'm curious about sweat collection methods... yuk... they could wring out my sports bras
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler