Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how do you load your bike on the car?

To disable ads, please log-in.

hi girls

i've been using a rear Thule bike carrier or a audi for a couple of years, and the draw back is that at the end of a trip on a highway, my 2 bikes are carpeted with insects...

so i'm investigating on different ways of loading them, possibly even inside the car, without damaging the interiors and getting greas all over when loading-unloading.

has anyone tried this method on her car?
    http://www.bdc-forum.it/showpost.php...&postcount=129

ideas? suggestions? opinions?

we were thinking of buying a Honda FIT with this exact method/configuration in mind, but my husband's bike was just too big (so we bought a Ford F150). He has aerobars and between that and the saddle it just wouldn't go in.
    We have that same mounting system in our pick up bed for taking numbers of bikes places, they fit fine there.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I have a Yakima roof rack. We use "bike bras" and have found them to do the job -- the bikes are not dirty/buggy when unloaded, even after highway driving.

Here's an example:
    http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Sci...nder_P2816.cfm

Ours came from Nashbar and were much cheaper.

This style wouldn't be all that helpful for a trunk or hitch rack -- but I wonder if there is something similar designed for rear-mounted racks? I wonder if you couldn't rig something functional up out of black plastic garbage bags?

Is your Audi a wagon or a sedan? I have a Subaru wagon and with the back seats down, it's quite easy to slide one bike in without removing the front wheel, without damaging the bike or getting grease on the upholstery (just make sure to lay it down on the non-drivetrain side). Two bikes will fit but it takes two people and a bit of care to line the up in such a way as to avoid the possibility of scratches.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 04-19-2009 at 09:47 AM.

I know lots of people with that type of fork mount setup in their trucks or SUVs. It works fine for them.

Don't put anything over your bike when it's mounted outside unless it's very tight (tarp, plastic, anything like that). Otherwise, the wind will blow the cover back and forth and strip your paint right off.

Maybe a boat or auto shipping place could shrink wrap your bike?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    we were thinking of buying a Honda FIT with this exact method/configuration in mind, but my husband's bike was just too big.
    How tall is too tall? Just curious.

mine is an audio a3 hatch back.

interesting the link with the bike-bra, good to know that is effective.

with the roof racks, isn't it too difficult/heavy to rise the bike over and place it on the rack?

Quote Originally Posted by djgafi View Post
    with the roof racks, isn't it too difficult/heavy to rise the bike over and place it on the rack?
    I would have a hard time if the car was higher maybe, but we have a Honda Civic, and it's totally manageable. My bike is in the 20 to 22-lbs range and I have matchstick arms.

I'm 5'6", also with puny arms, and I don't have a problem getting the bikes onto the roofrack on my Outback. If I were closer to 5'0", I think it might be a little awkward (as it is I sometimes end up stepping up onto the door frame). Raising the bike above your head is much easier than you expect if you haven't done it before. At the gym, I do shoulder presses with weights that are a good deal heavier than my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    How tall is too tall? Just curious.
    just an inch too tall.
    he's not even a big man, it's a 56cm bike i think. it's just the combo of fenders, aerobars, etc..
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by djgafi View Post

has anyone tried this method on her car?
    http://www.bdc-forum.it/showpost.php...&postcount=129

ideas? suggestions? opinions?
    Me! That's how I do it, but in the other direction - take off front wheel, roll back wheel in and the fork mount is at the back of the car, so I just secure it and go. Takes less time than strapping onto a bike rack. Protects from rain, bugs, rear-bumper hits, roof rack meets garage door incidents, etc. Works in my Rav4 and BF's PT Cruiser
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I have a Yakima on my Outback and always stand in the doorway! I am 5'5" and usually have gear in the car (and people) so need the bikes on top. DH has a Toyota Tundra with the fork mount in it and it is good for more bikes. I have seen several of my friends with minivans who have the back seat down and use the fork mount inside. Sure keeps the bikes cleaner on a long trip. There is plenty of room too, for gear.

If you click on my blog link, there's a slideshow of how I made a mount for my bikes in the back of my Element (the slideshow is on the right, 3rd down). Doesn't require both seats up/down/out, and while it is maximized for space on a long long trip we take every September which requires lots of gear, you could modify to fit your situation.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I can't put my bikes on top of my Element because I just can't reach it. I can't stand in the doorways in order to get the bikes up there without holding on to something, which makes it hard to hold onto the bike, too. I don't want my bikes riding outside on long trips, because I never know when I might be in a dicey neighborhood. I say go with an inside setup.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    just an inch too tall.
    he's not even a big man, it's a 56cm bike i think. it's just the combo of fenders, aerobars, etc..
    Bummer...I've stuck the Fit in the back of my mind as a possible next car, but I bet it won't work for me (won't keep me from test driving the car and trying put the bikes in anyway, of course).

Still looking for a high mileage vehicle (45mpg highway) with room on the inside for two bikes....a woman can dream.

Thanks for the info.

We have a tow ball and one of these

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/t...ke-carrier.htm

so so good. I was so sick of having to lift a filthy wet bike too high to get it up onto our window mounted angled rack and struggling like no body's business. I'd never go back now, only problem is that it's only a 3 carrier. But it does leave the boot empty for all your gear which is nice.
    Marin Rift Zone 1999 - Manitou Rear Shock - Marzocchi SuperComp Bombers on the front.