Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

We carry our bikes that way (except forks to the back) in the back of my Explorer and the back of bf's Saturn Vue (although, he has to drop his saddle a touch for the Vue). When carrying other gear, we slip wheel bags over the rear wheels to cover the cassettes and keep things a bit tidier. Front wheels go into wheel bags for their own protection. We've actually used this method with 3 bikes + gear, with bike in the middle fork toward the front.

thank you girls.

yesterday i took some measurements and looks like with the bikes angled at about 45 degrees, like someone suggested earlier, they can actually fit even in a medium size car, which will work best for me here in europe.

here's the link where you can buy a fork mount, and build very easily your own internal-car-bike-carrier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-fork-mount-b...3A1%7C294%3A50

thanks to all for precious feedback!
    now i'm on to the "appropriate" car search
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    Ow wow, we saw one of those yesterday on the freeway near us (near San Jose, CA). Cuuuuute!

They're not for sale in the US (yet?) - no clue how that one got here

But we still love our Honda Element. We can remove the back seats and roll 2 (maybe up to 4) bikes into the back, no disassembly required. Although if our bikes were any longer or taller that would be an issue. It's too bad the Element wasn't a couple of inches longer in the back compartment, but so it goes.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    If you click on my blog link, there's a slideshow of how I made a mount for my bikes in the back of my Element (the slideshow is on the right, 3rd down). Doesn't require both seats up/down/out, and while it is maximized for space on a long long trip we take every September which requires lots of gear, you could modify to fit your situation.

Karen
    Hey thanks! We'll check that out - we were discussing something like that just recently.

Yeah, the Element is a bit too tall for either of us (dh is about my height) to consider loading bikes on top. Plus one of us would be sure to drive them into something.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

You don't "load your bike on the car"...

You buy a bigger car and/or a trailer.

One bike fits in the boot of my sonata... with layers of padding

Two bikes can be lain in the back of the van with the seats down (again, well-padded)

3-7 bikes will fit in our trailer, with special holders so that no two bikes touch each other or move in transit.

;p

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    If you click on my blog link, there's a slideshow of how I made a mount for my bikes in the back of my Element (the slideshow is on the right, 3rd down).
    Excellent! I just had to check it out cuz I'm an E person too.

I have several strategies. If it's me, and it may rain, I fold the seat up out of the way and roll the rear bike tire in first and angle the front tire 45 degrees.

If it's the mountain bike, I fold both seats out of the way and lay the bike flat.

If Mr. Sundial joins in the ride, and the weather is nice, I mount my Thule hitch rack and put both bikes on it.

If we both are going out of town with our bikes, or if it's going to rain, Mr. Sundial takes the pickup w/ camper shell with the RecRac system in it.

I don't trust myself to use a roof mounted system because I'll plow the bikes into the garage door.

Unfortunatey I can't, I have a BMW Mini convertible and although I believe there is something you can buy, it costs a small fortune.

Fortunately, my partner and I moved to a place where whatever direction we go in, we can be off road.

Clock
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Excellent! I just had to check it out cuz I'm an E person too.

I have several strategies. If it's me, and it may rain, I fold the seat up out of the way and roll the rear bike tire in first and angle the front tire 45 degrees.

If it's the mountain bike, I fold both seats out of the way and lay the bike flat.

If Mr. Sundial joins in the ride, and the weather is nice, I mount my Thule hitch rack and put both bikes on it.

If we both are going out of town with our bikes, or if it's going to rain, Mr. Sundial takes the pickup w/ camper shell with the RecRac system in it.

I don't trust myself to use a roof mounted system because I'll plow the bikes into the garage door.
    For two bikes on a quick trip, I just put up both seats, roll the bikes in on either side, and bungee them to the handle above the door. That keeps them from rolling around or touching each other. I admit, the rear car seat on the right has a chainring tattoo on the side. I haven't tried to get it off but I'm pretty sure it will come off with some Simple Green. That fabric is indestructible.

karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

That fabric is indestructible.
    Yeah, you're not kidding! I have an '05 E and it's survived the abuse from crates, 4 dogs, puppies, bikes, you name it.

I did put an Elemmat in my car so that I can shove bikes and paintings in it without worries.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange View Post
    Unfortunatey I can't, I have a BMW Mini convertible and although I believe there is something you can buy, it costs a small fortune.

Fortunately, my partner and I moved to a place where whatever direction we go in, we can be off road.

Clock
    No room in my mini for a bike and I'm too short to do a roof rack. I added this option when I bought the cooper. It wasn't that expensive, but it may be as an add on. I absolutely love it--so easy to load and unload.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_042309_002.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	9121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_042309_003.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	9122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_042309_004.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	9123  

Normally I carry the bike inside the car. I have a rack but inside it gives me the impression of being safer. I either take off the front wheel and fit the bike on the back seat, or take off both wheels and lock everything in the trunk.
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
    With the right bike it's never an issue.

My thoughts exactly. I tuck two Bike Fridays inside the back of my VW Rabbit.

Tulip, how long does it take you to ride 10 miles on your Bike Friday?

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Tulip, how long does it take you to ride 10 miles on your Bike Friday?
    Same time it takes me to ride it on my Luna. I average about 14-15 mph, with cruising in the 17-18 mph range. Depends on the terrain, of course. Last month I rode about 300 miles in the Arizona mountains in a week on the Friday, and last week I rode 200 miles on it at Cycle Zydeco (4 days). I'm doing two centuries on it in May. It feels like a full-sized bike and rides like a full-sized bike.