Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Sore you-know-what - saddle issue?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am new to this forum - hello everyone! I have learned a lot already reading through the existing posts. What a great forum.
    I am 'back in the saddle' again after a long absence from cycling. I bought a Giant Avail and am using the seat that came with the bike. I wear padded shorts (either Sheebeest or Louis Garneau). However, I still feel sort of itchy and uncomfortable afterwards. Don't ask, I am washing my shorts!
    I was considering seats with a cut-out in them - do any of you use these? Do they relieve some of the pressure?

I would die without a cut out. I use the Terry Butterfly Ti saddle. Many of the women on this forum use cut out saddles.

Oh yeah! Welcome back
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

If you're itchy and/or uncomfortable afterward, I would suggest chamois cream. It's very highly recommended. If you do decide to use it, take whatever amount you think is a lot...then double it. It'll feel gross and weird and funny at first but you get used to it and your under carriage will certainly thank you if you put more time in the saddle.

Yea, finding the right saddle for you can be a real hunt. OK, are you sure your bike fits you right? Correct frame size? Saddle fore/aft, height ok? Saddle levelness? I went through many a saddle until I figured out it was my too big bike as part of the source. Good fitting helped unravel it. Waiting for my new ride to be built atm.

OK, if none of the above, besides getting a cut out saddle (which Terry has the great ride it, love it, or return it policy--so basically no harm in trying one), what about chamois cream? I started with my kids zinc diaper rash ointment before I knew about Chamois Butter. Totally ruined some shorts. Cycling specific lube adds so much more comfort. I haven't tried it yet, but I just switched to Belgium Butter, vs Chamois Butter, due to the parabans. Strong family hx of b-ca, so thought I'd better try changing lubes.

Sometimes our gynological issues can play apart in things. As we age, tissues there thin and can have less overall moisture. A cream from the doc can help. Also, on the itchy, my gyno doc (whose also a cyclists and as is his wife) said sometimes in heat ladies can get an 'external' yeast infection. I think it looks like some sorta of cracking besides other symptoms. It can be treated then. Just another piece of food for thought.

Also, if you are new back... remember to gradually add your miles. If you were used to being out a lot before, it's hard sometimes to get the concept of scaling back. But unfortunately our bodies can protest in various ways if we don't.

And yes, welcome back... TE is a great place!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Hi e.e.cummings! Just wanted to welcome you aboard.

Thumbs up Grateful for the quick advice...

ASammy - I am checking out the Terry Butterfly saddle pronto. I checked out the jewelry and blog - great stuff!

Equus123/Miranda - is the chamois cream easy to wash off the shorts?

Miranda - My bike is made for a woman, and it was fitted to me at the bike store (I guess they did a good job, it took long enough - in all other ways it is the most comfortable bike I've riden). However, I am passing by there this weekend, I will check it out.

Sundial - thanks!

Have you looked through the threads on saddles under Gear and Accessories? There is lots of information there on determining if you need a cutout, how wide a saddle you need, etc.

Good luck.

Yes, chamois cream does wash out and is hygienic. Not to worry!

I recently got a Specialized Lithia for my hybrid, which does have the cutout. I love this saddle, but I'm not sure how much the cutout matters. For me, the key is getting my sit bones properly placed and supported. That takes pressure off the soft tissue.

I did worry that the cutout would pinch or chafe, but it doesn't. I honestly didn't know a bike saddle could be this comfortable.

Pam

I like the Specialized dolce saddle, which has ridges for the sit bones and a cut out. I also like the WTB standard women's saddle. A lot of times you can find them on e-bay.

I also use KY clear lubricant gel for rides over 30, and I put it on my sit bones (the shorts usually work it in to the other areas.) I also suffer from hems. and use the Prep H gel on those sensitive areas.
    I can do five more miles.

I second the Terry saddles, but the Butterfly Ti did not work for me.

I ride the Butterfly CrMo. The Ti was (for me) like riding a board.

They LOOK extremely similar and the Ti is supposed to be the "better" saddle, but it's a very individual thing, what fits and what doesn't.

I would suggest trying more than one saddle if you can, and picking the one that's best for you. Lots of people LOVE the Ti, but if one Terry saddle doesn't work for you, another one probably will.

Smile Undies under Cycling Shorts....cycling for dummies

OK...........I am a newbie to road cycling and got cheap padded shorts from Performance. I am riding 10-12 miles 3-4x per week getting ready for the Tour de Cure which is 31 miles. I am having mild discomfort towards the end of my ride...........IS THAT NORMAL? I did use ADE ointment last time and it didn't seem to make a difference. I got to thinking and wondering about what to try next. Here is a dumb question............AM I SUPPOSED TO WEAR UNDIES UNDER MY CYCLING SHORTS or go COMMANDO? You are laughing with me not at me......LOL

a lot of people go commando on this forum. I don't.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Some people do wear undies underneat, but for me it's unbearable. So commando.

Definitely commando.