Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Does your body adjust to low-fat diets?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have always eaten a lowfat diet since my first husband died of cancer. I have also tried to improve recipies to make them better. This is especially true in the dessert department.

So, the other day, I had a jello pudding snack that was not low calorie. It was the real deal. A few hours after eating, I had this acidic and bad feeling in my stomach. I figured it was all of the fats that had not been digested that were giving me this problem.

So, I thought I would ask to see if this is actually the case or not.

Thankyou,
    Red Rock

I've never really started a low-fat diet, but I do eat less fat in a single meal (not necessarily throughout the entire day though) than I did before I met my dh, mainly because he dislikes fatty foods. He's also allergic to milk, so we cook mostly without it. I notice that my tolerance for dairy products is drastically lowered after many years of a low-dairy diet, and eating a single fatty meal can upset my stomach and have it roiling about.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I'm on a calorie-deficit plan, which naturally means I choose lower fat foods when I have a choice (but I never choose "low-fat" products specifically because they have lower fat, if that makes sense. I eat real cheese and mayo, for instance, just not so much and not very often). I recently ate at Long John Silver's and the next day my gallbladder acted up so bad I couldn't do jumping jacks at boot camp. A gallbladder "attack" can make you feel nauseous.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Red Rock, when I was in very low-fat diet (not self-aware of until I was less than 100 lb), yes, greasy food made me feel uncomfortable. But in my case, it's my throat. Now, I'm in a less fat than normal diet, and I still don't like greasy food much.

Just wanted to say thank you for your input here. I guess when I said low-fat, I'm thinking not a strict low fat, I just try to eat the most natural, unproceded foods with the least amount of fat possible.

Red Rock

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    We don't cook or bake anything with butter at home. It's never been much of my style of cooking. In the past, I used to bake several times a year with some butter. But last few years, I can't get enough motivation to do that type of baking anymore, beyond focaccia baking.

So now, I notice at a restaurant or party, if I do have the rare dish with a butter sauce or something savoury cooked with a certain amount of butter, I get diahrea.

I definatley notice it. I gave up most dairy (the bulk of my fat consumption) and now notice that if I eat out or something like that and have a higher fat meal my stomach is a wreck.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Red, I'm guessing my partner eats similarly to you which results in alow-fat intake.

Occasionally he craves something with a higher fat contact, and yup, if he partakes too much (which is not a large serving) he feels unwell for a few hours.

Road Raven-yes, how strange is "old age" although I am "only" 40. A spring chicken by some standards. I guess my body is starting to tell me things.

The other day, i finished a cookie bar that I had made from stratch. I had some for lunch and some for dinner. I do not know if it was having both in the same day or what. It used a stick of 65% cooking butter, condensed milk, chocolate chips, walnuts, white chips, and some peppermint chocoloate pieces. In other words, all the good stuff you want when you cook at home. Which includes to much saturated fat. So this AM my gallbladder was telling me it was there. The pain/discomfort went away, which is a good thing. I guess I will have to be more strict with myself on what I really am eating and not to over do it in any way. When your only talking 10-20% of saturated fats!.

Thankyou all,
    Red Rock

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
    ...I just try to eat the most natural, unproceded foods with the least amount of fat possible.
    I use real butter when I bake and olive oil when I cook. For snacks I'll eat a few nuts. I try to steer away from processed stuff.

We use olive oil based spread (olivani) and the butter in our fridge is for when the boys want to cook.

Neither of us cope with pastry well, and butter on scones or bread when we are out make us feel unwell.

I (43 years) can cope with more sat-fats than he (49 years) can, but he's been on this low fat diet a few years more than me, and has much greater discipline. He's still winning gold medals at national level, so its not compromising his power or health

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    Neither of us cope with pastry well, and butter on scones or bread when we are out make us feel unwell.
    My reaction to butter isn't quite like that, I still like to butter my bread rolls at a restaurant. It's a decadent pleasure for me because we normally don't buy/keep butter at home. No need 99% of the time, given our cooking style.

I still haven't pulled away from desserts completely, but have noticed for the past 5 years, I have no interest in cheesecakes. 15 years ago it was not like that.

Methinks my shift to low-fat diet..happened very slowly over the decades and started when I was a late teen, when mother was cutting off all the fat/skin before cooking chicken, pork or beef. Includes skimming off fat for soup broth leftovers, etc.

Now 1 doughnut is enjoyable or a deep fried thing. After 2 or more, it becomes less enjoyable.

Yes, I do want a certain quality of Asian cooking when eating in restaurants that use less oil in stir-fries, broths, etc.

And no kiddin, whole, unprocessed foods is kindest on stomachs/gastrointestinal system.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I try to 'eat clean', as in unprocessed and natural foods. I do indulge in pizza now and again because I love it too much. When I do, I feel queasy and generally unwell afterward. It's not just you.

A good friend of mine who'll be 50 in Sept. had a really hard time eating any fat without it upsetting her tummy so had gradually shifted to an extremely low-fat diet. She then went on a 2 week road trip with her DH around the southwest, which of course involved a lot of meals out, and she was miserable enough in the gut to see her doc upon her returned. Turned out it was her gallbladder. It was inflamed and full of stones. She just had surgery to have it removed. In the few weeks prior to her surgery she could tolerate almost zero fat.

I don't have much problem eating fat in moderation, luckily. Love my olive oil and cheese and thankfully am still able to enjoy it.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow