Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Adopt a stone to rebuild Catoctin Aqueduct on the C&O Canal

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I was riding the C&O the other day between Point of Rocks and Brunswick. For the past several years, there's been restoration work going on at the Catoctin Aqueduct, with signs about their need for donations to complete the work. For the first time, I noticed that they've got an "Adopt a Stone" program going on.

Stone adoptions begin at $125. Would anyone be interested in going in on this with me? The C&O is such an awesome place to ride (as certain TE ladies besides me know ) and the restoration of the Monocacy Aqueduct turned out so well, it'd be terrific to see another section restored as well. If a few of us chipped in together it'd be fairly cheap. Anyone else wanna see this iron monstrosity replaced by an open stone bridge supported by elegant arches?

And, of course, I have to add the obligatory bike shot

"How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Stone adoptions begin at $125. Would anyone be interested in going in on this with me? The C&O is such an awesome place to ride (as certain TE ladies besides me know ) and the restoration of the Monocacy Aqueduct turned out so well, it'd be terrific to see another section restored as well. If a few of us chipped in together it'd be fairly cheap. Anyone else wanna see this iron monstrosity replaced by an open stone bridge supported by elegant arches?
    That sounds like a great plan. I'd be happy to contribute.

I've known about that adoption plan for a while but I had no idea it started at that level.
    I can pop for a few bucks.

Although I kind of like that bridge
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I'll chip in, too.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't have a calculator but that would make it $33 and some change.

What name do we put it under?

i'll go in.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    What name do we put it under?
    The Ladies of TE-DC? We'd have to ask whether we could have more than one certificate, though I wouldn't necessarily care if I got one.
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 04-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Hmmmmm...possibly. Sounds like a good cause.

Ok, so six of us are interested at this point. I e-mailed to find out whether each of us could get an adoption certificate and map of our stone location (at least any of us for whom that stuff is desirable). Then we'd just have to choose a stone.

Anyone else out there who might want to join in?

I don't care about a certificate, but I would like to get a tax deduction.

I'm willing to chip in, too.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I've never been able to get a tax deduction to work for me
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    I've never been able to get a tax deduction to work for me
    Buy a house with a big mortgage and property taxes, and a rental property, and voila! itemized deductions kick in. Give it time, you're young and relatively unencumbered.

She already has a box.

Ok, here's the reply I got when I asked about a group adopting one stone on the aqueduct:

George Lewis here, I am the president of the Catoctin Aqueduct Restoration Fund, Inc. many thanks for your interest in the Catoctin Aqueduct.

The norm is one adoption certificate per adoption; however, we could stretch this a bit.

Suggest you get back to me with the number of certificates you have in mind and the type (and adoption fee donation) of stone you have in mind; keeping in mind that the objective of the Adopt a Stone project is to raise funds to restore the Most Beautiful Aqueduct on the Line, and that each certificate costs $4 to print and $1 to mail.
    So, any thoughts? Janice and I don't care about getting a certificate, so who would like to have one? Do we want to go for a $200 stone or stick with $125? At this point, we've got six of us (plus dingster as a maybe), which would make for approx. $33 per person for a $200 stone, or $21 per person for a $125 stone. If anyone else wants to join in, that'd reduce it even more.

And thank you, ladies. It'll be very cool to know that we contributed to restoring history on the C&O
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 04-15-2009 at 11:36 AM.