Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Adopt a stone? For an iron bridge?

I think something got lost in the thread... it is time to replace the bridge
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

The iron bridge was erected after the original stone aqueduct collapsed. Because the C&O Canal is a national historical park, they're trying to rebuild it. Unfortunately, the US park service just doesn't have as many $$$ as they need for this sort of thing.

This link describes the situation a bit better. I agree with Zen that the iron & wood bridge is fun to ride across, but the stone aqueduct will be more open and will have that 'historic' feel to it.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I'd be game to contribute and bring the cost/person down a bit. And I don't care about the certificate.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I will also contribute.

This is great! So, we've got the following contributors:

KD (no certificate)
    DB (no certificate)
    7Rider
    Zen
    madscot
    MDHillSlug
    Possegal (no certificate)
    pfunk

and dingster's thinking about it. With eight of us definitely interested, I'd suggest we go with a $200 stone. How about a prism stone, since it's along the inside wall where the towpath would go? And, out of the list above, who does want a certificate and map showing the stone location?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

I would dig a certificate.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I don't need a certificate...just a receipt.
    Prism stone sounds great. Did you say there'd be something carved in it? How do we coordinate getting $$ to a central source (you?)? Pledging is great...but you gotta hold my feet over the fire to get any cash out of me (just ask Nicole...I'm good for it...but you gotta ding on me or I forget).

I don't care about a certificate (maybe a receipt for taxes?); just glad to know I helped.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Did you say there'd be something carved in it?
    According to the website, the Park Service doesn't allow carving in the stones.

Nope, no carving, which is probably why they offer a map showing your stone location along with the certificate. There's also a list of donors at the website, so the Ladies of TE-DC would be added to that.

So Mad wants a certificate, how about Zen and pfunk? I'll also find out what the deal is with the receipt. I assume they only give one since there's one payment. Would it work for tax purposes if I send a copy to each of you and you note the portion of it that you paid?

I have a Paypal account, but I need to take a look at it to figure out how to collect money. Janice, you've done that before-- I assume it's pretty easy? And Regina, I won't send the money for the stone until I've collected from everyone, so we can all pester you to pay up

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I'll also find out what the deal is with the receipt. I assume they only give one since there's one payment. Would it work for tax purposes if I send a copy to each of you and you note the portion of it that you paid?

I have a Paypal account, but I need to take a look at it to figure out how to collect money. Janice, you've done that before-- I assume it's pretty easy?
    I'd think that the combination of my canceled check (made out to whatever the name of the charity is) and their receipt would be enough for tax purposes.

I'd suggest not using PayPal if possible, because (1) they take a cut and (2) I'd rather make the check out to the charity directly (for tax reasons). We could all just send you a check, and you send them all in together.

Would that work?

Count me in.

I want to be certified.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

A certificate would be cool if doable.