Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My return to touring --- 6 days riding in Downeast Maine

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just over a week to go...

I'm (finally!) about to re-enter the world of touring on my bicycle. I'll be headed to Maine for what was intended to be a long weekend on my bike, but somehow it morphed into the better part of a week of cycling, with a day off to go visit puffins on an island off the coast (the ocean permitting, of course).

I'll be keeping a journal of my trip, and I've just made it available. You can find it at http://denise2005downeast.crazyguyonabike.com. Right now it contains my thoughts leading up to and planning the tour, along with an overview of my plans.

I intend to update the journal while I'm on the road, but there will be several nights when that won't be possible. And pictures will have to wait until I get home again.

I'd be honored if you'll follow along with me in my journal. I'll be on the road (and on my bike) from June 24th through the 29th.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-16-2005 at 02:26 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Good luck and good riding to you!

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Do you suppose we could see the voyage by following your tres chic purple armwarmers by satellite?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Do you suppose we could see the voyage by following your tres chic purple armwarmers by satellite?
    Well, I was kind of hoping for bare arms weather - but you know I'll have those purple armwarmers with me just in case! I don't suppose you have a satellite tracking attachment for me, do you?

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

Being a Mainiac at heart...

Where exactly are you going?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Where exactly are you going?

V.
    I'll be driving to Ellsworth and switching to my trusty purple steed there.

1. Day 1, June 24th. Ellsworth to Bar Harbor, then a loop around the east side of Mt. Desert Island, back to Bar Harbor for the night
    2. Day 2, June 25th. Cross the island to the west, loop around the west side of Mt. Desert Island, back to Ellsworth
    3. Day 3, June 26th. From Ellsworth to the east along Frenchman's Bay, down and around the Schoodic Penninsula, overnight in Prospect Harbor
    4. Day 4, June 27th. Wander along the coast (with a few inland roads), still heading east to Jonesport
    5. Day 5, June 28th. A boat tour to Machias Seal Island to visit the puffins in the morning, then probably some unloaded riding in the area in the afternoon. One more night in Jonesport.
    6. Day 6, June 29th. Last day of riding, Jonesport to Ellsworth

I'll spend one more night in Ellsworth, then drive home the next day.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

That sounds wonderful! Are you camping or "credit card" touring? Either way it will be an adventure.

We'll be in Maine at the end of July and again in in mid August.

V.

TandemHearts.com

It's definitely a credit card tour this time, split between hotels and B&Bs.

Where are you going to be on your visit (or is that visits ) to Maine?

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

It's visits. We'll be there July 26 - Aug. 2 to go to my reunion and visit with my family. Thom's parents are truck drivers and they won't be home then. So we're stopping back again for a few days before we fly to the Azores Aug. 16 - 19.

It's going to be a busy summer!

Please write about the B&Bs you stay at - especially the hosts and the breakfast! We like to go up to that area if we're spending more than a week at home.

I'm glad you're touring again. I haven't gone to read about your accident. Just the things you said here were enough to freak me out. So I'm thrilled that you're out and about.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Tailwinds!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Please write about the B&Bs you stay at - especially the hosts and the breakfast!

...I'm glad you're touring again... V.
    There are links to the web sites for the two B&Bs in the journal already, and I'll plan on including at least a quick review of both of them after the trip. The folks I talked to on the phone when I made the reservations seemed very nice, so here's hoping they are good spots to stay!

I'm glad I'm touring again too. It's been a long spring, trying to get myself back into shape for biking 50+ miles day after day with gear on the bike. Of course credit card touring is much easier from a weight standpoint! Here's hoping...

You are going to keep us posted on your own travels this summer too, right?

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-16-2005 at 02:34 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

We'll at least put pictures up on tandemhearts. I don't know how much of a write up I'll do for the mountain bike trips. Battery life is one of those things we have yet to work out.

V.

TandemHearts.com

It's wonderful that you will be touring again soon, Denise! I look forward to reading your tour journal. Wishing you lovely weather and tailwinds!

~Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Great name for your journal, Denise!

Can I ask what are probably stupid questions? In picking your route, do you also look at topo maps so you'll know the climbing to expect? What gear do you take for a credit card tour -- do you use the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by aka_kim
    Great name for your journal, Denise!

Can I ask what are probably stupid questions? In picking your route, do you also look at topo maps so you'll know the climbing to expect? What gear do you take for a credit card tour -- do you use the trailer?
    I'm glad you like the name - I had fun coming up with it!

Your questions aren't stupid at all. It probably would have been smart to use topo maps, but I didn't. I just assumed that coastal Maine would have some ups & downs... From the state road map it doesn't look like there are a lot of roads to choose from, so I just used a combination of the state map, the Maine bicycling map (which really doesn't show much more - they have good cue sheets for specific rides, but only 1 is in the area that I am planning to wander in), and a confirmation of distance by using AAA's online TripTik.

On the panniers vs. trailer front, I'm planning to use just 2 panniers for this trip. And I'll be using my front panniers (because they are smaller than the rear panniers) on the rear rack. I haven't tried to fit everything in them yet, but I don't think I'll have a problem.

Are you asking just because you're curious, or are you planning a tour yourself? If you're planning a tour, I've written a couple of articles about my decisions between using a trailer or panniers, and about the gear I take with me on my tours. Here are links to the articles in case you're planning your own tour - but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you have, just keep asking!

"Panniers, a trailer, both?" can be found at http://PanniersOrTrailer.crazyguyonabike.com
    and
    "What's in that trailer? Or in those panniers?" can be found at http://DenisePacks.crazyguyonabike.com
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-16-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com