Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for the links. I'm not planning a tour, but I've gone from the "what, are you crazy" stage to "hmm, sounds like fun" stage, and am interested in how light you can make credit card touring. Your packing article was very helpful.

I knew you'd be taking tours again! You're an inspiration.

Good luck, good weather, all that.

I'll be following the write-up.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

ahhhh Denise! After your accident I know how important this trip is to you. Keeping you in my thoughts and yuppers - I'll be following you in your journals. Have a safe and fun trip!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Denise, I just wanted to say that I really like reading your journals, you have a distinct voice and the pictures are great. We have another friend going across country right now, so I drop in on his and yours, oh, and the guy with the two dogs, I just can't resist them.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

Be safe and have fun, Denise! There's nothing like the wind in your helmet!

Enjoy the trip! I always enjoy reading your journals. I'm doing my first small tour this year so my curosity is quite high.

Hoping the weather gods are good to you!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by susan.wells
    ...I'm doing my first small tour this year so my curosity is quite high.
    Susan -
    I'm sure that you'll have a great time! Where are you planning to tour?

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

It will be a supported tour. I'm doing DALMAC which is Lansing to Mackinac City, MI. The final day, weather permitting & bravery in tow, you can ride across the Mackinac Island bridge.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by susan.wells
    ...The final day, weather permitting & bravery in tow, you can ride across the Mackinac Island bridge.

Susan
    I've never been to Mackinac Island, even though I lived in Michigan for many years (many years ago). I remember driving across the bridge to the UP, but I'd love to see the Mackinac Island Bridge from the perspective of a cyclist! Pictures, please... (I hope you'll have a camera with you on your trip.)

Have fun!

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-18-2005 at 05:08 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

For Denise and all y'all tour folk

Watching GMA and they were showing Fathers Day fun gifts... but one of them is made for you Denise.

It was a little Samsung dig camera... shoots vid and stills. The clincher, a remote lense attachment you plug into the little camera and you can mount that puppy on your head ... or your handlebars.

spazz, always looking for products for my TE buddys
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    ...The clincher, a remote lense attachment you plug into the little camera and you can mount that puppy on your head ... or your handlebars.

spazz, always looking for products for my TE buddys
    Hey, thanks Spazz!

Now if they only made something like that for my little Canon digital (still-only) camera, since I'm not likely to buy a video camera... But much as I'd like to be able to shoot pictures while I'm rolling down the road, I do enjoy stopping to look around and enjoy the places I'm traveiling through. So for now I guess I'll just have to continue using my camera as an excuse for a stop!

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Smile

By the way, Denise, are you aware that there is a ferry which goes from Bar Harbor over to the Schoodic peninsula. You could avoid backtracking from Bar Harbor to Ellsworth, and also avoid doing the Route 1 section from Bar harbor to Winter Harbor twice. The ride around Schoodic is lovely.

I was on the island last month and was lucky enough to get a couple of days of dry riding in. Spent many a day at Otter Cliffs supposedly studying when I was in college (Univ of Maine).

Quote Originally Posted by oldbikah
    ...are you aware that there is a ferry which goes from Bar Harbor over to the Schoodic peninsula. You could avoid backtracking from Bar Harbor to Ellsworth, and also avoid doing the Route 1 section from Bar harbor to Winter Harbor twice. The ride around Schoodic is lovely.
    Thanks! I am aware of the ferry (although I wasn't until the innkeeper from the place I'll be staying in Prospect Harbor mentioned it). I did consider it, but I decided that I would like to do the ride. I will only be doing the section of route 1 between Ellsworth & Winter Harbor once though, because after I bike the Schoodic Penninsula I will be staying in Prospect Harbor, then heading east to Jonesport the next day. There are a few sections of route 1 near Jonesport that I'll have to repeat as I return to Ellsworth, but I'm planning my return trip via route 182 from Cherryfield. Have you ridden that road?

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Looks like you have all the info! Have a great time. Have not ridden the Cherryfield rd.....most in that area are pretty narrow and wind about like a snake!

I guess I'll have to let you know how it is after I ride it! It's marked on my map as a State Scenic Highway, which made it jump out at me as I was trying to avoid riding the same roads that I did on the way out. Of course on the Maine Bicycle Map it's marked exactly as you described it - no shoulders!
    www.denisegoldberg.com