Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quinoa questions..

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wondering if you have a favourite & healthy Quinoa recipe? Is it something you can eat at each meal or is it mainly a breakfast thing? Should it replace rice? Does it go ok with meat/chicken?

I think it was Oakleaf that posted a link to the LA times Quinoa salad recipe & am now drooling for more.

Any info is lovely Healthy cooking is so much fun!

I've never eaten it for breakfast, though I suppose it could sub in for cream of wheat.....

I like to treat it mostly like pasta or couscous. It's got a slightly different texture and a bit of a nutty flavor. It makes great salads and is nice in soups. Quinoa tabouleh is very good. Yeah - it goes fine with meat as a side dish.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

ta

Thanks!

I didn't know if it was an every meal type thing or not & had to ask. I have seen a few posts here about it for breakfast with cut oats?? (what exactly are those anyways..not that i am an oats fan..)

Papaver-that site looks cool!

I vote every meal. Best way is to make a big pot of it early in the week and dip into it for meals throughout the week.
    It can make a nice hot cereal- Warm the cooked quinoa in a pot with your choice of what type of milk you like, and stir in some dried or fresh fruit, a little maple syrup or agave nectar, some cinnamon, vanilla, and you've got a nice hot healthy breakfast! Oh, nuts on top of that rule too.
    Later for lunch, throw some steamed veggies and dressing over it, later for dinner put it in a soup or wrap!

My favorite quinoa recipe- and I won a healthy iron chef competition with this one

• 3c cooked quinoa or brown rice
    • 2c Tahini dressing (p 29)
    • 1 head kale, ripped in small pieces and steamed
    • 2 beets, raw, peeled and grated
    • 3 carrots, grated
    • 1 butternut squash, sliced and steamed
    And any other veggies that you or your family enjoy.
    Set it out so that you go down an assembly line to make up
    your plate. Start with the quinoa, make your way through the
    veggies, and top with Tahini dressing.
    Serve hot
    Dressing
    • 3tbsp Tahini (sesame paste)
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 1 handful fresh Cilantro
    • 1tbsp maple syrup
    • 2 tbsp tamari, or soy sauce
    • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
    • 1/3-1/2 c water
    Put all ingredients, (just put ½ of the water) into food processor or blender for now. Puree until creamy. Add more water slowly to obtain desired
    consistency. (Thickens in the fridge)

Talking Lots of tasty options

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

non-breakfast Quinoa

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Just wondering if you have a favourite & healthy Quinoa recipe? Is it something you can eat at each meal or is it mainly a breakfast thing? Should it replace rice? Does it go ok with meat/chicken?
    I'm vegetarian, so can't answer the meat/chicken question, but I have never eaten quinoa for breakfast--I cook it with garlic (or not if I don't feel like it) and eat it as if it were rice or whatever my starch for my meal would be. Often I eat it as an accompaniment to an omelet...

I love quinoa!

Here is my favorite recipe -

Lynette

Quinoa with Chick Peas

2 cups of quinoa
    2 cans of chick peas (also called garbanzo beans)
    olive oil
    2 big cloves of garlic - chopped
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 small bag of slivered almonds
    hot sauce to taste
    salt and pepper to taste
    fresh rosemary to taste
    juice of a lime or lemon (optional)

Cook quinoa according to directions on the box. Put into a casserole dish.

Preheat Oven to 450°
    Rinse chick peas and spread them out onto a baking sheet. Don’t pile them onto each other; make sure that your pan is big enough so that they are in one layer on the pan. Drizzle them with olive oil. Roast them until light brown and starting to crack. Add them to the quinoa.

In a frying pan, drizzle some olive oil and add onions. Cook on medium-high heat until caramelized. Add garlic and cook until tender. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a little more olive oil. Add almonds and cook until toasted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add stewed tomatoes. Lower heat and cook for 5 minutes until the stewed tomatoes are incorporated into the rest of the ingredients. Add hot sauce (either Tabasco or a Louisiana Hot Sauce) to your liking. My family likes it spicy.

Add the onion mixture to the casserole.

Add fresh rosemary to taste.

Add the juice of a lime or lemon (optional)

Mix well.

Serve immediately or you can refrigerate it and heat it back up the next day.

We like it better the next day!
    Last edited by Over50Newbie; 04-12-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Here's my favorite quinoa recipe:

1 package quinoa, cooked according to directions on the box
    1 large can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
    1 head kale, chopped
    1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic, depending on how much you like garlic
    olive oil
    1 can of black beans (not refried)
    a little salt and pepper, to taste
    Shrimp, chicken, or turkey, if you need meat; ground beef works well, too.

In a large pot, sautée the kale, onion, and garlic in the olive oil, then mix in the tomatoes, black beans, and quinoa.

This makes a really good burrito filling, too. Also, I use as many organic and locally grown things as I can get.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I'll eat quinoa in place of any other whole grain; I've also been known to eat random types of grain for breakfast (oatmeal is still my favorite though).

Just make sure you thoroughly rinse the quinoa before cooking it to prevent a bitter flavor.

I like to make a veggie-quinoa pilaf as a side-dish. Toss some veggies in the food processor to get them finely chopped--like carrots, celery, zucchini, or whatever you want. Then cook the quinoa in vegetable broth, toss in chopped veggies and a dash of sea salt. Sometimes I add fresh herbs like parsley. It's really good with chicken and cooked veggies. My 3-yo always eats several helpings of this, which is surprising because she won't touch rice.

I almost always use quinoa as a rice replacement. My husband even prefers the quinoa over basmati when I make Indian dishes.

I'll also throw some quinoa in the pot when I make vegetable soup.
    Last edited by limewave; 04-13-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more info
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Qunoa seems alot more expensive..maybe someone can explain why? What do you pay per lb./kg.?

hmm

Ok, i tried quinoa & am unsure of how it's supposed to taste/look.

I think i just experienced my first cooking disaster...

I used to make salad out of it - much like you would with macaroni. I basically threw everything into it, like celery, carrots, and a healthy dose of trail mix with raw cashews, almonds, sunflower/pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.

I'd make a dressing out of extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar and some honey to sweeten and voila, healthy salad.

I haven't made it in a while as I got sick the last two times I ate it and am afraid of eating it again. I'm thinking the grains were probably contaminated with mold or something but am still hesitant in trying it again.

I saw it at the store for $10 a pound.

For that price it better be really tasty!