Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tire suggestions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I have been riding Panaracer T-Serve 700 x 28. They are great in wet weather and very puncture resistant- only one flat in 4 years! I want to switch to a narrower tire, probably a 700 x 23. Any suggestions for what would be good in wet weather, not too heavy, and if it's not to much to ask, fairly puncture resistant? I could go to the Panaracer T-Serve 700 x 25, but I'm not sure if it's enough of a difference. Thanks

We just tried a pair of 28 T-Servs on our tandem- as you said very grippy but we lost about 2-3km per hour compared to our normal tyres and really lost it on the downhills. BTW these were new formulation 2009 T-Servs.

If you want to stay with a 28 try Conti Gatorskins- we have had great success with these (same weight as the T-Servs but faster) and very puncture resistant (we don't wear out tyres- they get sliced up by glass in NZ). The T-servs only lasted 5 rides, we get 3-6 months out of a Gatorskin.

I ride Gatorskin 23s on my single as well.

If you like Panaracer tyres I noticed on their website a brand new tyre for 2009, the RibMo that comes in 23, 25 and 28. This is a better tyre again with less tread so should roll more and even more puncture resistant. Both this and the T-Serv are commuting tyres BTW.

LOVE the Conti grand prix 4000's! With the black chili compound, they are the best! No flats for me in years.
    Tho I must say I don't know how they work in wet weather. I live in the desert so...

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    LOVE the Conti grand prix 4000's! With the black chili compound, they are the best! No flats for me in years.
    Tho I must say I don't know how they work in wet weather. I live in the desert so...
    As a wet road expert I can tell you: they are perfect!!!

Tire suggestions

I have been running Maxxis Courchevals the past four seasons and love them! Last season, I put several customers on Schwalbe tires ... different models. I just mounted a pair of Ultremos' on another bike, and although I only have a few rides on them I love them as well. Both give you a nice ride, very supple... good on wet weather... although perhaps I don't have the wet weather that many of you have. At any rate, there are lots of good tires out there...perhaps ask your LBS as well.

+1 Cont grand prix 4000s

Awesome!

I have continental gatorskins in 25. they are pretty great. I've never gotten a puncture (except when I fail to keep pressure at a minimum).
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Conti GP 4seasons is my tire of choice on the road bike. I use the 700x23 on my road bike, my husband the 700x25 on his Colnago and on my tandem the 700x28.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Another vote for the Conti GP's. I got sick of flats several years ago and switched to these. Rough roads, wet roads, unexpected gravel, ... the Conti's handle them all well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I went to my lbs today and they said skinnier tires wouldn't make that much difference and that I should just work harder to keep up with my group. They did take a lot of time to ask about my riding, looked at my bike setup, etc. They suggested Schwalbe Durano tires. They didn't have Contis. I'm mulling over all they said, and might go back and get the Schwalbes. I'm thinking about this too much

Erm. I'm running panaracer t-servs 700x28 on my surly. That's also a much more upright bike for me, and until recently it didn't have very nice wheels....

However, the panaracer tservs definitely are slower than my 700x23 tires. Now, I also claim that some 700x23s feel slower than others, and my bf thinks it's all in my head... however, I'm pretty sure even given the uprightness of the bike vs the crappy wheels vs the t servs - the t servs definitely slow the bike down.

I can go down a hill on the surly leaning forward to make myself all aero and just be going....Erm... why aren't I picking up speed? There's definitely some rolling resistence.

Now, if they're slowing me down more than like .5 - 1 mph, I have no idea - but they're definitely on the slow side with that tread.

I haven't ridden any other 700x28's though.

I've got a set of continental gp4000's in 700x25 that I just bought and I'm debating putting them on a road bike. I'm just worried that they'll feel slow compared to my 700x23's I usually run (I use some hutchinson kevlar 127 tpi tires usually, can't remember the name).

Things I read seem to be mixed with regards to whether 700x25s are slower than 700x23s

Tire suggestions

Schwalbes are a great choice! Any time that I have put them on a customers bike, they have loved them! In fact, as I started getting bikes this year for maintenance work, many have requested them!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I used to ride Pasela Panaracers w/Tourguard(kevlar). They were great tires and a good price, but a bit soft feeling.

Now I like Continental GrandPrix 4 Seasons. They are very puncture resistant but a bit harder than the Paselas, I like them. I use 700x25. Don't want to go thinner than that, since we do frequent riding on back country dirt/roughgravel roads.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DH and I just put the Vittoria Corsa 700 x 23 on our bikes. Love them!!! Really didn't think tires could make that much difference, but these are really nice. They are a bit hard to install the first time, but once you have a few miles on them, they are much easier to get on and off the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I used to ride Pasela Panaracers w/Tourguard(kevlar). They were great tires and a good price, but a bit soft feeling.

Now I like Continental GrandPrix 4 Seasons. They are very puncture resistant but a bit harder than the Paselas, I like them. I use 700x25. Don't want to go thinner than that, since we do frequent riding on back country dirt/roughgravel roads.
    how backroads are we talking? I have 32's that still can't prevent shell shock on the C and O. I find them more than adequate for the DC roads.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen