Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

April 11th Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

A couple of weeks ago , I did recumbent only ride. We were talking about how LA has no organized recumbent rides.
    We decided to organized a few, to see if there was interest. I 'm doing one next week, and wanted to check out the route.
    The weather wasn't the greatest , so only a few shots:

I also met up with my normal club buddies, Said hello to Jiffer, and after the ride want to my lbs to let them know that we had settled the case from my accident and that soon, they could start work on getting my Roubiax on the road again
    Last edited by Fredwina; 04-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.

God Moving Over the Face of the Waters

58 miles, 1762 feet of gain, and one beautiful moment that reminded me why I love this beautiful suffering that is riding. As I rounded Carter Lake after surviving the evil switchbacks my MP3 player shuffled to Moby - God Moving Over the Face of the Waters. Awe, complete and utter awe. It was such a mesmerizing moment and such a perfect song. And I will admit, I just kept staring at the lake, and I might have teared up a bit.

For those not familiar with the song it has a gorgeous rolling piano intro, beautiful strings and just enough kettle drum to really make it stirring. Here's a clip:

http://www.pandora.com/music/song/mo...face+of+waters

And here's a pic I'm going to have to borrow of Carter Lake. Naturally it was not all snowy, but I couldn't find anything that remotely did it justice but this one:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...7467SCFdGFKpam

I highly recommend looking at the picture while listening to the song. Mmmmm, pedaling goodness.

The route, for those who like that stuff:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...23949321562404

My soul needed a big ride, and the big ride delivered. Things are good.
    Last edited by smurfalicious; 04-11-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

Was planning on riding a 50+ mile route today with my normal riding buddies, but by 20 miles in, we already experienced a rogue downpour, 4 flat tires and had gone through 5 tubes (one exploded while inflating with the CO2 cartridge). We decided to finally listen to the bike gods and turn around. 10 miles from the cars, one of my buddies with the patch job (as we ran out of tubes!) gave out, so I waited with him while the others hightailed it back. Half an hour later we were rescued. It was a good day.

Poor Onyx took a beating too! She was covered in mud
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

52 miles total (25 of sufferfest in direct headwind of undetermined speed - but it sure felt horrid)
    3,453 elevation
    14mph avg speed (tempered by aforementioned headwind of undetermined strength) :P
    65degrees and sunny - beautiful! Wind? Not so beautiful...but that's Oklahoma in Spring for ya.

This was one of those rides where I just wanted to cry upon turning around and realizing I was 25 miles from done with a headwind in the direction of home. LOL My legs are still yelling at me this morning!

Here's a picture from the westwardly direction I was travelling WITH the wind. Note the lovely condition of the roads ahead and Arkansas River on the left. Trees still waking up... It'll "prettier" in a couple weeks. I'm inbetween Sand Springs and the Keystone Dam here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41109wekeiwa.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	9058  
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

hooked up with a bike racer (that I met at a bike clinic )... and we hauled 45miles against the wind!!, ugggh!! It was a fun ride and my first ride with a single guy post break-up... I am definitely healing, LOL!! Fun ride... he was nice and went my pace (well a little faster so I'd work, LOL)... my legs were dead after 45 miles with this guy.

I also have figured out my Edge 705 a bit and was able to log the ride and upload the data. If you're interested in the GPS stats, here it is

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=7980170
    if you don't like sewing, you haven't found the right fabric

We did 45 kms today and it was great! Sunny weather, nice scenery and a good average speed...

The 11th - I raced that day. And am still enjoying thinking about it. Because I was helping another rider (visitor) and trying to tow her back I ended up over 3 minutes behind the leaders. The visitor turned off and waited for the next grade to pick her up and I was in chase mode. When I had shut down the gap to 2 minutes, the leaders realised I was there, and knowing I had sacrificed my time to help another, sat up while I closed the remaining minute. We worked well rotating into head winds, and the last 1.5km was pretty much full bung, strectched out and I had my tongue hanging out when I crossed the line in 3rd (must've looked real purty )

A really good ride, a solid workout and over 43kms for the day.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post

The 11th - I raced that day. And am still enjoying thinking about it. Because I was helping another rider (visitor) and trying to tow her back I ended up over 3 minutes behind the leaders. The visitor turned off and waited for the next grade to pick her up and I was in chase mode. When I had shut down the gap to 2 minutes, the leaders realised I was there, and knowing I had sacrificed my time to help another, sat up while I closed the remaining minute. We worked well rotating into head winds, and the last 1.5km was pretty much full bung, strectched out and I had my tongue hanging out when I crossed the line in 3rd (must've looked real purty )

A really good ride, a solid workout and over 43kms for the day.
    woohoo you go girl!