Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yikes!

Yikes!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My first MTB race of the season is tomorrow, and I've already been nervous for over a week. The bike is prepped and ready to go, and I have been training all winter... Still not sure that I am ready though.

Last year, I upgraded to Expert (now Cat 1 in the US), and typically was behind the leaders by quite a bit. I am hoping this year to improve, and not always be last . AND I am racing on our club's Elite MTB team as the only woman - no pressure or anything .

Forecast for tomorrow's race is 60% chance of rain with temps in the low 50s, and rain today and overnight. It should be fairly muddy.

I'll post here after the race, if I can ever get those darned butterflies to stop doing backflips.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Hey, best of luck to you! Of course we want a race report.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Hope you kick plenty of tail
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Good luck!
    Maybe the rain will stop before your race...

Best wishes, ice rider!

I can't wait to hear your race report. Be thinking of you and sending you strong-'n-fast karma!!!

Good luck and have fun!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Get a massage and you'll be ready to go! Good luck and we'll be thinking of you.

Have fun! Enjoy!
    Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Thanks, everyone! Just took the race bike out for a shakedown and some openers, and felt pretty good. Hopefully that will bode well for tomorrow. Race report to follow - I appreciate the good wishes!

SheFly

Too tired for a full report now, but the first race was wet (it rained the whole time), muddy (like riding in peanut butter), cold (high was only 40) and HARD. But it was fun, and I did well.

Thanks for the encouragement. I promise a more lengthy report tomorrow.

SheFly

cool

Good job Shefly! I bet you zoommmed through the mudddddd though

Perfect weather for a mtb race. Look forward to reading your report.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Race Report - LONG!

A week ago, the nerves started. I was sure that despite all of the hard work, I wasn't going to be ready. What if I went, and I stunk? DH had spent a lot of time and effort on my bike (which was beautiful BEFORE the race ) and my coach had spent a lot of time and effort on my training. I KNEW in my head I was ready, but the butterflies still insisted on their version of the Olympics.

Oddly, as we made the drive to Connecticut, I was calm. I think I figured that at this point, it was too late to worry and be nervous - whatever was going to happen was going to happen. And what happened? As we got on our bikes to go out and pre-ride the course, the skies opened. Yup - rain and cold the entire day. An auspicious beginning to the MTB race season!

DH and I suited up and went out to hit the course for one lap prior to the race to see what we would face. At one point, we ended up pre-riding behind none other than Tim Johnson, and Lyne Bessett! Imagine our surprise to see the pros out at this race - especially Lyne, since we haven't seen her in this type of race (yet). And Tim must be home prepping for Battenkill next week... Since DH was racing in the Pro category, he was going to have some tough competition. Me? I'm used to getting lapped by Lyne on the road and in 'cross, so was half expecting it here too .

First impressions of the course were good. I liked the mix of power sections with technical. The consensus back at the car, however, was that we needed to be careful and safe - the downhills were going to be slick, and sliding out on a corner in the mud wasn't going to get anyone anywhere fast.

We made our way over to the staging area since DH's group was going off first. There were a huge number of racers who turned up despite the weather, and the Pro/expert fields were packed with talent. The Pro men's field had 25 starters lined up! I cheered as DH got underway, and then stood and shivered until it was time for the women to head out - at the end of the entire wave of racers.

Standing in the back of our field (Pro and Expert women get sent off together), I looked at the talent ahead and beside of me - besides Lyne, my coach was on the line as well as two of my training partners, and next to me was Sue L, who won the overall series last year. I still managed to remain calm, knowing that my goal was to try to stay with the pack of Pros as long as possible, and then to bury myself to hang on to Sue as long as I could.

On the whistle, we were off, and I managed a decent start into the first corner, and then was swarmed hitting the first narrow single track. That meant that heading into the woods, I was second to last, with only Sue behind me. It was a single file trudge up the first hill, but I managed to pass a couple of the pro women once things flattened out. I still had Lydia (who was the other racer in my category) ahead of me, and Sue close behind. As we hit a technical uphill, Lydia didn't make it, and Sue got caught behind her. I had the MOST SPECTACULAR 'cross move ever at that point, dismounting and running past both of them to remount at the top of the hill (not sure why I can't pull off this move during 'cross season...). I was now leading my group, and had another pro racer in my sights.

Unfortunately for me, soon thereafter the course started uphill - Sue's specialty. I have gotten better at the hills, but Sue past me and quickly put a gap into me here, and now I was chasing again with Lydia not far behind. The good thing for me was that I could make up time on Sue anytime we went downhill or hit a technical section of the course; the bad thing was that Sue regained any time I made up every time we started uphill... I kept Sue in my sights for most of the first lap before losing her for the remainder of the race - an improvement over last year!

Lap 2 was difficult in that this was where most of the Pro field, and some of the expert men started lapping me. Now, I'm ok with being lapped, but there were some places where it was just plain difficult to get out of their way. I tried my best not to hold anyone up, but also to not give up any time myself - I still had my own race going on! Despite the lapping traffic, I believe that lap 2 was faster for me than the first lap. The bad thing was that at that point I could no longer see Sue in front of me, nor Lydia behind me.

By the third lap, course conditions had completely deteriorated. I now know what it must feel like to ride around in peanut butter - sticky, and no control over tires, steering or braking. Sections I was making in the first lap in my big ring I was having to run with my gearing now in the middle ring. I ran some sections I had ridden cleanly in the previous two laps - more for fear of a major injury than anything else. I also gave up some in this lap. Not being able to see the people against whom you are racing is detrimental to my motivation. That, and I really didn't want to get hurt, it was still pouring, and by now I was cold. I was also wondering if it was possible to get an infection from all the mud that was in my shorts (my mind goes to some strange places when it is tired...)!

So, the end result for me was second place in my age category. Second out of three. Not great. BUT, let me now put that in perspective over last year. Last year, Sue was consistently beating me by 10 to 15 minutes in our races (I upgraded to mediocrity, you might remember). Saturday - Sue was a scant 5:30 ahead of me - not insurmountable before the season is through! I also finished ahead of Lydia and two of the Pro women, and didn't get lapped by Lyne . I rode the technical sections of the course, and didn't crash. I drank from my bottle, AND ate food (this was a big problem for me last year). Overall, I am happy with my result and have left some room for improvement.

DH had a great race as well, finishing 8th in the Pro/Expert Open category (in a starting field of 25).

After our races, we de-mudded as much as possible, and waited for teammates in the Cat 2 race to finish. Unfortunately, that means that even as I type this on Monday, I am still trying to warm up! And the kits? One wash with the garden hose and then two times through the washing machine (which needed vacuuming when finished) got MOST of the dirt out... Here's hoping for drier conditions in two weeks at Winding Trails!

Thanks for reading, and for the encouragement!

SheFly

What a report! The weather was absolutely frightful and I think just finishing would have been an accomplishment, given the prospect of hypothermia and injury because of the course. I only have one mtb experience in a deluge, but it was 65 out. I can't imagine racing and it being 40 degrees.
    Hope you warm up and your kit gets clean. The weather looks great all week, into the weekend.
    When does the TT start? I'll try to get down and watch more this year.

Sounds like you and DH each had a really successful day.

Making up 10 mins over last years gap (Sue) in such abyssmal conditions - you absolutely deserve to be proud of your effort. Well done you

Thanks for the detailed report... hope you have just about shaken and washed all the mud out of your wings... and that you feel truly warmed through again by now.
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 04-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.