Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Damn this Velcro strip

To disable ads, please log-in.

After my ride, I changed clothes and found that my cycling tights got scratched -- 3cm in diameter. I was really surprised and didn't know why at first. Later I realized it's because of the velcro strip of my saddle bag. That strip (with hooks) wasn't sealed properly and apparently it scratched my right inner tight through my pedaling.

I just wear this Cannondale for about three times only. I have spent too much on bicycle stuff recently (clothing, shoes, pedals, trainers etc), so I don't expect to buy new cycling tights any soon. If I still wear this pair, will I face the same situation like this thread "My shorts gave my friend a good laugh today"?

Another new lesson learned. Not cheap though.

I did something similar this evening. I've got the little saddle pack with a blinky light hanging off of it on my bike... For some reason, my saddle was sliding down like crazy, so every couple miles, I'd stop, undo that velcro strap, lift the seat up, tighten as hard as I could, tighten velcro strap... move on...

And then one time I don't know if I hadn't done the velcro strap up right, or if the seatpost just slid down that much - but I start hearing a sound and there's something wonky about the bike, so I brake and get off the road as quick as I can....

And the seatbag was dragging on the back wheel, which really means my blinky light had been dragging on the wheel, so the blinky light had black plastic fused to it and gouges going down it. One of the gouges went through all the way.

Definitely not as expensive as your shorts though.

After putting a hole in a pair of tights through the same process I made a little tube out of some lycra from an old worn out pair of my husbands shorts. (though I suppose it could have been any material). Slid the tube over the velcro and no more worrying about putting holes in my shorts.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

There must be an opportunity here for a "beat the velcro rub" product for cyclists. Dunno what it is, but it must be there...

We've had the same problem in our house too

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I don't know how this would turn out, but maybe a seamstress could repair them somehow if the spot gets worse? Depending how much you paid for them, might be worth checking into.

I'm a humble hack of a seamstress. But, the only fix I can think of is adding two external lycra panels/strips on the outside--stitched over the hole location. You would have to do the non-hole side also so it matched and looked like it belonged there from original design.

This was mentioned in the other thread you posted, but they would serve some other purposes before totally trashing them. Wear/add a cycle-skort cover over them, wear as liner shorts under baggies or knickers, or under tights in the cold etc.

If all else fails, at least cut out and save the chamois. An aquaint of mine, excellent seamstress, used to make her cycle shorts. The chamois is the hardest to find she said. I have a couple pair of my shorts I am getting ready to make into something else. I just had a GoodWill charity store shopping trip. For $8 I have enough technical fabric to make myself a cycle/skort wrap, trail short, and jersey (depending on how it turns out lol). In the words of my excellent seamstress aquaint "lycra is forgiving" to sew with.

On the nasty velcro saddle bag strip... maybe some black electric tape that's used to finish bar wrap??? Try cutting a strip and trim it over the edge of the sharp part. Or hack off the extra length if you don't need it. Oh, me being a pack rack, I'd save the hacked off scrap in my sewing basket... just in case I needed to repair the length later.

Thanks for suggestions. I'm not going to trash this pair immediately.

When the scratched part gets thinner, I will try to patch it up by myself. I'm not good in sewing but will give it try anyway. See how much I have returned this back to school. If all fail, at least I 'd have the material for the next fix.

I'm a hack seamstress too, but my machine can't hack lycra... so all my thin lycra shorts or "holed" lycra shorts - I just wear two pairs... usually by the time they are thin or damaged, the pad is thinning too, so just wear two pairs and only use on training rides.

psst

I need a sewing machine....

Sorry, threadjack for a mo....

Psst RR..how come you've not been biking as much? I was enjoying trying to keep up with you on Bikejournal..now i'm trying to keep up with Oakleaf..

Psst... CC... if we keep our voices real quiet maybe no-one will notice
    I have had to go back to work and run around after boys after school and for the past few weeks have only been able to get in 3 rides per week. But I'm making them count - the last 3 club rides - including today I've come second... have written a teeny bit in the race forum. Just logged into BJ before you posted here, am going to update the last week or two I'm so chuffed you had your first race the other day. Way to go my krazee ozzy canuckite friend