Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

LAF - Ride for the Roses, Austin TX

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ride for the Roses Weekend - Fri, Oct 21 thru Sun, Oct-23

Is anyone signed up for this?

What is the fundraising requirement to ride? I send a msg to LAF for this info, but haven't gotten a response yet (hasn't been too long, just wondered if anyone here knew)?

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Dh and I do this one. It's gone up this year, it's $150 to ride. It's $100 to become a member of the peloton project, which you have to do (last year you received a t-shirt) and then you either have to kick in another $50 or raise it. The deadline for raising funds is the first part of September. Well, they'll take funds after that, but that's the deadline for counting towards the awards. If you look up laf.org, and look under the peloton project and events links you should be able to find answers to most of your questions. I'd be happy to answer any that I can based on our experiences.

Steph

That's it! $150.00 Wow that's not bad at all.
    Which course (short, med, long) have you/are you going to do?

I love Austin and the surrounding area; I'll have to put it on my "to-do" list for the future.

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Medium for me...40 miles. With the guaranteed winds, the direction is always uncertain, it's a plenty challenging course. It's a great ride, you should definitely make the trip one of these days.

Thumbs up I did this 10/04

My DH sent me to the Ride for the Roses weekend to celebrate the end of my year long cancer treatments. I did the 25 mile course 9 days after completing my treatments. It was the MOST awesome experience of my life! I am a "lone rider" and to take part in a ride with 6500+ cyclists was a bit intimidating but not a problem once I got started. I only did the 25 mile ride and didn't think it was bad at all. The folks I talked with while riding (several of them) kept telling me "wait till you see the last hill". Well, all I can say is they definately don't live in central PA! The ride was so well organized. Lots of "support" along the route (police officers to direct traffic, cheerleaders, etc.). The after ride party was a blast...lots of food, beer, entertainment. I would recommend the ride to anyone, especially a cancer survivor. I felt so special, coming across the finish where the lanes splits...one for "all other riders" and one for cancer survivors. When they handed me my rose I was a sobbing fool but so happy to be there and so very proud of my accomplishment! To be surrounded by all the cyclists and so many of them being cancer survivors themselves was so very inspiring!! I hope to return to do the 100 mile ride someday. I say I rode with Lance (well I did...I just didn't see him! lol) but I may actually see him if I do the same route. Robin Williams, Will Ferrell and Sheryl Crow all did the ride with Lance.

Great story and what an inspiration for all of us! You made me puddle-up!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Me too....thank god I have no reason to ride other than the love of riding itself. Over the years I have taken care of many cancer patients - some as old as a few days, some as old as life itself. They have always been an inspiration to me, but there cannot possibly be more inspiration than what comes from within.

Awesome story! You really should consider writing it up as an article!

cycling.. what an awesome story... thanks for sharing it...

I just put the breast cancer terry butterfly saddle on my bike in honor of a friend of a friend who just lost her battle with breast cancer... and in honor of another friend who beat it! She's passed the 5 yr mark! WOOT!!!

I didn't realize this was only $150 to ride either... I'm going to have to be sure to plan for it next year... I would love to do this ride...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".