Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: April 9th rides

April 9th rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had very little time today, but the temperature is rising and the sun is out. It is going to be raining for the next two days and Sunday, while supposedly will be sunny, but barely above 40.
    I decided to do my shortest loop, of 11 miles. I am so glad I did; sometimes when I am short on time, I say "forget it" and go for a walk or run. But, it was worth it. I started up Strawberry Hill and I realized that for the first time this season, I can see the buds on the trees. It was also much windier than I thought. I can't quite figure out which direction it was coming from, because I felt like I was in a cross wind or headwind the whole way...
    I saw a few other riders, including one guy changing a flat near the end of my ride. Everyone seemed "happy," probably because it has been so raw out lately and it was 55 when I returned.
    Even though I have made a point not to get hung up on speed, when I turned into my neighborhood, before the mile uphill climb, I noticed my average was over 16; that seems strange because I felt like I was hardly moving against the wind. I haven't seen that speed in over a year.

Crankin, I also forget about the short loops. Sometimes, an hour on the bike is just perfect!

I commuted again today, but was feeling a little shot. I really hammered home last night, and had to pay the piper this morning (against a headwind). This evening's commute, I took a short cut over the bike path, which took a couple of miles off. I never do that, but I decided to listen to my body.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be nice in the morning, and rain at night, so I am meeting my friend before work for a ride. She just got a new bike, and this will be her 3rd ride. I can't wait!

It was forecast to be 60 and sunny today, so DH and I threw the MTBs on the roof rack and loaded up some gear bags before our drive to work. We then left the office early to meet up with our friend Ken for some quick mountain miles before he went to work.

We did 5.5 miles at Middle Run on a glorious, sunny early spring day. Not a lot but, as fast as Ken is, more than enough to have me crying "uncle!" I felt really good about my skills and bike on this ride. I'm becoming happier with the way my suspension is tuned, and that makes descending less scary. All in all, today's ride went a long way to making me feel better about MTBing in general. It also reminded me that I need to seriously work on my climbing and overall anaerobic efforts

Wacky weather on our commutes. 2 days ago it was 36 on the way in and 76 on the way home, yesterday it was 50 on the way in and 87 on the way home. Today was 61 on the way in and 99 on the way home. You heard me, 99, yet 2 days ago it was 36. Just wacky!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    grumble, grumble, grumble
    Last week, I had 2 aborted commute attempts due to repeating flat tires in the front. Pepper at my LBS found 2 teeny tiny thorns I did not, replaced the rim strip on my wheel, and sent me home with a new CO2 head, 3 cartridges, and 2 new inner tubes. My frame pump was also not working...and he felt it was high time I got with the program and got some CO2 cartridges!
    So...This past weekend...I changed out my "winter" tires (700x28's w/ reflective sidewalls) that had been flatting, with my "summer" tires (700x25's no reflective sidewall). New tire. New rim strip. New tube. Figured I was good to go. And I was for nearly 2.5 whole days!
    Today, I'm riding home and I'm thinking "Gads...there is something totally wrong with the front end of my bike. It feels like it is completely off." I pull over and ponder. I feel the front tire. SOFT! Not completely flat, but probably at about 40 p.s.i., when it should be 100. Grrrrr....
    Call DH. I'm still 2.5 miles from home. "Well, I can come get you, or you could try those new CO2 cartridges," he said. Sun was shining. It was warm. I was near a parking lot that allowed me to get fully off the road and out of harm's way. I'll risk it.
    So....take off the tire. Check for slits in the tire. None. Check for prickers or anything on the inside of the tire. None. Check for spurs on the rim. None. Not a single thing that I could find that would cause a slow leak (not a rapid deflating) of the front tire. Pull out the air cartridge. Inhale deeply. Ponder. Put the tire back on. Inflate a bit. Brrrr....those things get COLD. Check the bead. All is good to go. Open up the valve. WHOOOSH! In about 1/3 of a second...the tire is tight as a drum!!! Holey Toledo...That was FAST!!! There's frost on the stem. Frost on the head. Those things are wicked.
    Feeling all darned impressed with myself, I ride home.
    I come into the neighborhood. "Dang. This bike still feels off balance." Pull into the driveway. DH is waiting for me. "How's the tire?" he asks. I pinch it. SOFT AGAIN!!!!! What the ...????
    So DH and I spent the next half hour in the driveway, looking for leaks, cleaning the wheel, and the tire, putting in a new tube. Guess what??? The tire is FLAT AGAIN!!!
    We gave up. It's sitting on a flat tire in the garage right now. We're both absolutely puzzled why this is happening.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Wacky weather on our commutes. 2 days ago it was 36 on the way in and 76 on the way home, yesterday it was 50 on the way in and 87 on the way home. Today was 61 on the way in and 99 on the way home. You heard me, 99, yet 2 days ago it was 36. Just wacky!
    I tried to ride this afternoon and after 9.5 horrible miles I called it good......wind and nearing 100 is just nuts!!!

tina

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    grumble, grumble, grumble
    Last week, I had 2 aborted commute attempts due to repeating flat tires in the front. Pepper at my LBS found 2 teeny tiny thorns I did not, replaced the rim strip on my wheel, and sent me home with a new CO2 head, 3 cartridges, and 2 new inner tubes. My frame pump was also not working...and he felt it was high time I got with the program and got some CO2 cartridges!
    So...This past weekend...I changed out my "winter" tires (700x28's w/ reflective sidewalls) that had been flatting, with my "summer" tires (700x25's no reflective sidewall). New tire. New rim strip. New tube. Figured I was good to go. And I was for nearly 2.5 whole days!
    Today, I'm riding home and I'm thinking "Gads...there is something totally wrong with the front end of my bike. It feels like it is completely off." I pull over and ponder. I feel the front tire. SOFT! Not completely flat, but probably at about 40 p.s.i., when it should be 100. Grrrrr....
    Call DH. I'm still 2.5 miles from home. "Well, I can come get you, or you could try those new CO2 cartridges," he said. Sun was shining. It was warm. I was near a parking lot that allowed me to get fully off the road and out of harm's way. I'll risk it.
    So....take off the tire. Check for slits in the tire. None. Check for prickers or anything on the inside of the tire. None. Check for spurs on the rim. None. Not a single thing that I could find that would cause a slow leak (not a rapid deflating) of the front tire. Pull out the air cartridge. Inhale deeply. Ponder. Put the tire back on. Inflate a bit. Brrrr....those things get COLD. Check the bead. All is good to go. Open up the valve. WHOOOSH! In about 1/3 of a second...the tire is tight as a drum!!! Holey Toledo...That was FAST!!! There's frost on the stem. Frost on the head. Those things are wicked.
    Feeling all darned impressed with myself, I ride home.
    I come into the neighborhood. "Dang. This bike still feels off balance." Pull into the driveway. DH is waiting for me. "How's the tire?" he asks. I pinch it. SOFT AGAIN!!!!! What the ...????
    So DH and I spent the next half hour in the driveway, looking for leaks, cleaning the wheel, and the tire, putting in a new tube. Guess what??? The tire is FLAT AGAIN!!!
    We gave up. It's sitting on a flat tire in the garage right now. We're both absolutely puzzled why this is happening.....
    SOrry to hear about your ride from HE**!!!!!

I don't have any advise for you .....
    tina

Its funny, if it were summer I would have been used to it, but I had on my heavier clothes from the morning ride at 61 (and even felt a little chilled going in with the wind) which made the ride home at 99 incredibly uncomfortable. We need more time to acclimate. Its like it went form winter to summer in a couple of days!

4,460 ft of climbing in 44.5 miles. I blogged about it (with pics!!!) here. I took my Cervelo R3 on a dirt truck trail in the Santa Ana Mountains...I need a mountain bike!

Hey nice to see a new entry in your blog!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Trisk, I had many commutes last spring where it was 42 in the AM and 85 on the way home. I started leaving a short sleeved jersey at work and bringing regular socks to exchange for my wool ones. It's crazy to acclimate in weather like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Hey nice to see a new entry in your blog!

Veronica
    I'm good for one every few months. Thanks Veronica...I finally had something to write about. Now I need a mountain bike! :P