Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

In love and wanting to commute...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I finally live off campus (3.05 miles away) and can now commute to school. I want to commute on my bike, the only problem (I guess it's a problem) is that I only own my road bike. I LOVE MY ROAD BIKE... it is my dream come true, and there is nothing I want more, except to just ride all day. I feel so flashy bringing it in my lab and leaving it (it's locked and secured). I want that feeling, I want to ride to school, but not sure of what else to do............... HELP
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    So.... You love your bike, you want to ride it, you only live 3 miles from your commute destination, and you have a safe place to stash it while working. Is there a problem?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yeah, I don't get it. I ride my road bike to work. i leave it stashed all day.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Either ride your bike & feel flashy, or look on craigslist for a cheap beater and ride that & not feel flashy?

I used commuting as an excuse to build up a commuter/touring/whatever bike - but I didn't really have a safe place to stash my bike at work. I can lock it at a crowded bike rack full of old beaters that might crash on it and it'd get rained on and stuff.

(I'm still convincing myself that I had to build a commuter)

IF you feel like a poser riding your road bike, why don't you just buy a cheap vintage bike? It's only 3 miles. You could pedal anything that far, and you can get some pretty cheap ones on craigslist. Or a cool mixte...
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

What help do you want?

I ride my flashy carbon roadie home from work. I love her, she loves me. I had a commuter bike but we never got each other so I sold her and went back to my one true love. Get a comfortable backpack, make sure you have a good lock and you have no problem.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Be flashy! Wear your clacky shoes and do the road shoe duck walk with pride! So let em stare. I get wierd looks at market all the time.I just pretend that Im famous and everyone is amazed Im shopping!!
    Just make sure you secure all wheels and saddle. I saw a sad pic of a trek the other day. It was missing everything but the middle part
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

I've been riding my road bike (I call her Ole' Blue) to school. I've loved it!!! I just hope that it stays below 90 for a little longer
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Just concurring with the masses

Ride the bike you love riding

I ride my training bike, my race bike and my TT bike depending on what I want out of the commute. I have contemplated getting a commute bike, but no... I like the bikes I ride!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I like having beater commuter bikes that I can lock up anywhere. I have two-an old trek mtb covered in very obvious stickers so it won't get stolen and a rusty steel frame fixie that I just adore riding-but I don't have a secure place to put my nice bikes, so I'm forced to ride the bad ones.

If you like your road bike, ride it! But I personally like my beaters for the peace of mind that I can lock them up anywhere and noone would look twice at them.

Quote Originally Posted by cylegoddess View Post
    I get wierd looks at market all the time.I just pretend that Im famous and everyone is amazed Im shopping!!
    This made me laugh out loud. I'm going to start thinking this way too!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!