Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What to take in an earthquake and tsunami...

To disable ads, please log-in.

You may all have heard that we had a 7.0 earthquake (about 90 mi. off the coast up here). I happened to be driving back from a dinner and on getting home made mental list of what to grab:

dogs
    dog food and meds
    BIKE(which I keep conveniently in the living room)
    water
    documents, etc.
    sleeping bag
    etc.

Fortunately, the tsunami warning was called off shortly thereafter, but, it was a good exercise in priorities!
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

I like your attitude - the bike is definitely a must have item!

I remember seeing the tsunami signs as I rode down the Oregon Coast back in 1999 and wondering what I would do if there was a tsunami warning. Traveling by bike definitely doesn't give you a fast way to exit an area... guess I was kind of hoping that some kind stranger would let me jump into the back of his or her truck!

It wasn't necessary on that trip though (although I have to admit the indications of where the water hit in Crescent City, CA many years ago was pretty scary), and I'm glad that yesterday's warning for you folks on the west coast was just a warning and not the real thing.

--- Denise
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tsunami.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	183  
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-15-2005 at 08:31 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

I personally wouldn't worry about anything replaceable by insurance or just money. People talk all the time about losing photos and heirlooms. We were burglarized in '94 and I lost two cameos, one from my grandmother and one from a great-grandmother, both of which I had worn in my very simple low-key wedding ceremony. Bill lost his USAFA class ring and temporarily thought he had also his grandfather's gold cufflinks (the only item of his grandfather's he had). These were the things that hurt the most. Dogs, meds, sleeping bags, water, etc., I agree with but I can replace my bikes (after a long argument with the insurance company on how much they're worth ).
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    ...Dogs, meds, sleeping bags, water, etc., I agree with but I can replace my bikes (after a long argument with the insurance company on how much they're worth ).
    Of course you're right - and my thought process as I was riding the coast was that if there was a tsunami (and luckily there wasn't) that my only priority was to get myself out of there, and that all of my belongings could all be left behind. I had similar feelings when I had scheduled a tour in Wyoming in what turned out to be a bad fire year. I canceled that trip rather than be within a mile of forest fires with no transportation other than a bike.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

You'll laugh, I slept through the warning. Woke up to see on the screen "the Tsunami warning has been canceled". Tsunami? What Tsunami?

Guess i would not have known what hit me. Comforting to know, also thank you to all my family who did NOT call to see if I was going.

Guess that's cause I live near the bay but that's bay, not ocean, so sheltered from it. I can not believe the idiots on the news who headed right down to the beach to see....have we taught you NOTHING?

As for a real Tsunami evacuation I think a bike could be an advantage. I don't know how far up or how far away you need to be to be safe (I should find out) but you might whizz by those stuck in traffic.

Now to get a trailer for Mae and then it's bike, me, dog all in one unit ;-)
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Ah, life in Ka-lee-fornia

Well, in case of aftershocks, I thought having a bike to get around might be good (I am also on the college's emergency response team--fortunately, there are almost no students here at the moment)--hmm, Trek, maybe I should look into that trailer, my dog kids are rather elderly! I am also on the Bay side, and there are communities located on the spits of land that frame the bay, so they were definitely evacuating last night. According to the interactive map on our website, our area is OK, but who really knows? You are right, Denise, the wave took out a big part of that community, which is about an hour from here. It is probably wise for everyone to think about those priceless things (e.g.such as in my case, my deceased mom's wedding ring) that one would want to grab in any emergency. People here were also pretty blase, at least in my 'hood; the tsunami warnings are normal in ocean based quakes, it is just that after the Indonesian wave we all respond with a higher level of anxiety, plus this one was a long roller one.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

Wabisabi:

Did you feel the quake? A friend of mine lives up in McKinleyville and felt absolutely nothing--they were bowling, so that might explain it. They heard the tsunami warning was because of an earthquake in Hawaii, so I'm wondering if my local news channel exaggerated the effects.

Deanna

Deanna, yes, definitely; I was at a semi work dinner, it was long and rolling and the pictures were moving on the wall. One of the people at the table said "5.4." Then we all made a guess. It was a 7 at least. Turns out we were in what is consider one of the primo good earthquake-proof buildings. That is funny, I could see how bowling could mask it! Happily, so far no aftershocks. I am happy to live in the 'hasn't flooded in 5,000 yrs.' area. http://www.humboldt.edu/~geodept/ear...ldt_hazard.pdf

And, Denise, I would definitely give you a ride!
    Last edited by wabisabi; 06-15-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Happy to hear things are OK at the ole' homefront...

Really puts things in perspective sometimes! I grew up in NoCal...in a LOW-threat area of anything. Yeah we could have had earthquakes, but we were on a military base...where else could you be more prepared? I moved to the SF area and lived on a boat...again where else would you want to be in the event of a flood or earthquake? Since I have lived where there are tornadoes, hurricanes, and lightning...after last years hurricane season...who is NOT prepared to evacuate on a moments notice. I do have to admit...we get a little bit of a warning (but look at Punta Gorda - Charlie was sneaky to say the least!)

I have everything important in one area of the house (easy acces) and now with the beauty of computers all important photos are scanned and burned on a CD that goes with me. Of course the dog & turtles (I even have a jar ready to put the fish in - I am not that crazy - just a soft heart for animals) a pile of CD's (computer stuff) and the bikes will always find room in the car...
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

I live in a fire zone area and when fire threatens - sometimes they only give people 30 mins to get out. So far in Albuquerque, the only fires we had was on the Bosque Nature Preserve (5 miles from downtown Abq) and Every person that was qualified to fight a fire was called out to try and protect the city. But I decided if it ever happened, my biggest priority was my animals since my cats are indoor/outdoor. My 30 mins would be spent trying to get the cats home and in the truck with the dogs (can't ya just picture that??). I just pray every summer that yet again this year I won't have to face that decision!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"