Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEW AND PUMPED....need xxl apparel help please

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Gals,
    I have always wanted a road bike! Now I have one to go with my mountain (trail)bike. The short of it. I hired a personal trainer, have lost 50 pounds to date and have become addicted to training and cardio(as my busy schedule allows). So..........I took the plunge and bought a ROAD BIKE. I was gonna wait to be slim and to ride, but decided to take the plunge. Biking will help me loose ther rest of the weight. HERE IS THE DEAL! MY LYRCA SHORTS ARE SHOWING MY BIG BELLY AND RUMP. I am sure that is attractive to the drivers coming up behind me. Is there any under garmet that I can wear that will slim me down(until I finish slimming myself)? Or..........would a bike jersey pull down over my middle and do the trick. Happy to be here!!!!!

Hi milkmaid! And welcome to TE.

Have you ever tried Bib shorts? There is no waistband and they really slim your middle section. Also, you could get the padded liners and wear those under regular shorts.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Wear your belly proudly (mine used to flop over the nose of my saddle) and consider yourself a great role model for others well endowed in the belly and butt department, and on the days when you're feeling insecure, wear a big top.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Hi Milkmade, congratulations on your fitness quest! I am always thrilled to hear of people who just do it! Don't let what other's think stand in your way of a great ride. You keep at it and I know you will become addicted to it as we are.

The first thought that came to mind was a touring type jersey that is a looser fit paired with mountain bike shorts. The mountain bike shorts will cover the compression short underneath and may give you more confidence. Also, wearing a summer weight wool tank under the jersey will help smooth out the speed bumps created by the bra. It will also wick and keep you more comfortable.

Click on the woman cyclist logo at the top of this page and pull up cycling gear. Then click on the plus sizes. There are extended sizes offered by TE and if you have a question about fit, call Susan Otcenas at TE and talk with her. She is very, very helpful and knows what to recommend for us curvy gals.

Another option is to wear a men's jersey--since it's longer, it will provide better coverage--especially over the rumpus. And as a bonus, you get deeper pockets on the jersey.

To hide your bottom, you could try a cycling skort. Here's one option:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodTY_1899.html

I have a pair each of the Terry Flare Skorts and Pro Racer Skorts. The Flares are stretchier and drape better, though I'm afraid of snagging them on something. The Pro Racers are made of stiffer fabric. While riding, I'm not bothered by the skirt portion of either one.

Welcome!

I am a big fan of the Mt. Borah underliners that are worn under regular shorts. Super light and comfy; the chamois is minimal but awesome. I also have a pair of Mt. Borah Baggy Shorts that are pretty nice, too. Got both of 'em from the TE store.

I haven't found any jerseys that I feel comfortable in (I don't like stuff that's too clingy) so I just wear t-shirts.

Thanks for all of the advice............the weather has been down right cold, but I am going to layer up for an early ride on Saturday morning no matter what. Thanks again...........I'll sleep on it on decide what to do tomorrow. I am happy to have found all of you.

You go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job! Don't let wardrobe get you down--just get out there. I wear oversized moisture-wicking t-shirts over my bicycle shorts--so nobody has to see my belly
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I am just getting back into cycling so I went to REI men's department and bought a nice wicking tshirt (loose fit). It feels like cotton but is not. For only $25.00, I am pleased to have a comfortable shirt for hiking, biking and other exercise. (I need to loose about 40 lbs.)

-Sue

It's good to know that others are in the same boat that I am! I say good for you!
    good goddess, I haven't a clue what I'm doing!

I'm in a similar situation and have been looking into sporty tunics (of athletic and "dry" fabrics) and dresses to wear over cycling capris for the summer months. I think they'd look nice but offer extra length when off bike and cover the butt, and would be nice for my trips out for things like work, or shopping by bike.

Hey there! Well done! It's a long journey -- I know, i've lost 65 pounds. Even at a size 10 wearing size medium pearl izumi shorts I still have body image issues.

I was wearing mtb shorts because of my image issues and found that the extra fabric was causing irritation to the point of rubbing me bloody. I finally realized that I was going to dress for my sport and not worry about what other people thought. It's completely their issue and they don't have to look. Find the shorts that work for you. Wear them proudly and be happy to be on your bike.

plus size rider

I have found that the Shebeest kickers work really good for me. They seem to have a firmer hold and I can pull them up higher so that when I bend over while I am riding no one behind me is getting mooned. I have been pleased with TE selection of plus size gear. What amazes me is that when I show up for rides I am usually the ony plus size woman there. I feel bad that my sisters are missing out. If anyone is in the Missouri area, ride the Tour De Corn this year. It's a great family friendly ride.

You go girl................. I'm a bigger gal and I got some moisture wicking t-shirts at Wal-mart(mens department) and like to wear nylon basketball shorts(with compession shorts under).
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100