Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

!!!HELP!!! No place to stay for the BP MS150

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is related to the Houston to Austin MS 150

Hello! I need your help! I am supposed to join my boyfriend and his family for the MS 150. They said that they were going to take care of hotel reservations for Saturday night, but due to his Aunt over committing to others, we (boyfriend and I) dont have a place to stay.

::::: Does anyone have a place in their for 2 people to stay on Saturday night?

(I've called the MS office twice and haven't heard back from them...)

Thanks for any help
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Ouch - will likely be very tough to find a hotel room at this point. Have you considered just staying overnight at the fairgrounds? If you're riding with a team, you can probably sleep in the team tent on Saturday night. In my experience, this has always been a lot easier, but I understand that not everyone enjoys camping.

In case you haven't seen it already, there is a list of hotels "in the area" on the MS150 website under the "About the Ride > Accommodation" link. Good luck!

The team tent experience is really a fun experience, I did it both times I did the MS150. You will likely have trouble finding a hotel at this point but don't be scared of the fair grounds.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Thanks... I'm definately not afraid of the fair grounds.... We are not a part of a team.... so we don't know what to do. (This is my first time doing the MS 150 ever... and my bf has always stayed with his family). I"ve called the MS Lonestar number, but still haven't heard from them.

Can you please explain how the fairgrounds work... Do I bring my own tent?
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

There should be exact instructions but you can send a tent and bag on a van to the grounds. You get to the grounds pretty early so you have plenty of time to relax even after setting up a tent.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Definitely bring your own tent/sleeping bag - you can drop it off at the luggage trucks with your bags at whichever starting point you are leaving from.

I'm not 100% sure about how it works for people not riding w/a team, but I think once you get into La Grange, you drop your bike off at the bike corral & then go to the luggage area to get your bags. They have areas set up specifically for camping. A piece of advice about the bike corral - pack a plastic grocery bag so that you can cover your seat overnight & it won't be damp in the morning.

Like Aggie says, the fairgrounds are really a lot of fun - I've always stayed there just because it's logistically easier on Sunday morning.

Hope you enjoy your first MS150! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know - this will be my 8th year to ride so I'd be happy to help if I know the answer!

Have you tried www.couchsurfing.com

I have never tried it personally, but it looks a brilliant idea :-)

Not sure this totally counts, but what about:

http://www.warmshowers.org/
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

I don't live in Texas, but am a veteran of 6 MS 150 rides in another state. If you don't mind camping, staying on-site it preferable to going off-site to a hotel. I've done both, and prefer to bring my tent and gear to stay on-site - more fun, and a much easier time in the morning.

Just my $0.02. You'll have a blast whatever you decide!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

hotel rooms

There is a brand new hotel that no one knows about 400 yards away from Tully stadium. It is called the Hilton Garden Inn Energy Corridor, really, really nice. I hear that they have rooms available during that time. 281-531-0220.

Hope that helps!
    S

Hey,
    I am doing the BP MS150. I am from out of town--Florida. And I luckek up and joined a team early on. I heard that was the best thing to do d/t the size of this. (I must admit my Team Co-Captian is FABULOUS)

The Hilton Garden Inn is where I am staying...but that is PRE ride. (Friday night)
    You are looking for Sat. night. Go to the Web Site, there is the riders booklet about what to do, etc.
    It is a big PDF, don't print it, but you can get some info and print the pages you need.

Yes, you will be "camping" at the fair grounds. That is the best option.
    I think there was some info on teh website about some hotels around Grange (?)--not sure of any vacancies.

I must say this one is BIG and there are more logistics involved than many others I have done.

Good luck. I you want to contact me just sen me a PM...I'll see what help I can offer.

K
    katluvr