Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: super sized

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Take a tupper ware with you to the restaurant. If they want to make a rude comment, tell them that you are doing your part with reusable items to reduce waste paper etc.

Besides, if the restaurant is smart, they would encourage it because those boxes, buckets etc all cost money 20 cents to over a dollar a piece. And when your margin is slim like net profit is only around $2.00 per dinner, that one dollar box is a BIG expense.

And so what if other people look. We tell them flat out that we prefer re-usable containers over paper products, use it once and throw it away. If more of us do it, then it will become the norm.
    I talked this over with my SO last night and since we both really like different kinds of food, this option will allow us to stop sharing plates of food that the other may or may not like and order or favorites instead...and have leftovers!

I have been to buffets where people exhibited great engineering and balancing skills with the amount of food piled on to one plate. This is especially puzzling when it's all you can eat - you can go back!

'Splain that behavior
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I have been to buffets where people exhibited great engineering and balancing skills with the amount of food piled on to one plate. This is especially puzzling when it's all you can eat - you can go back!

'Splain that behavior
    They don't want to have to get up and walk over to the table too many times.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Splain that behavior
    They are just afraid that everybody will do the same as they are so there won't be anything left when they go for a second or third time.

I don't believe in the "clean your plate or you can't leave the table theory." I know it was popular when I was growing up, 50's, 60's, early 70's, but my parents never subscribed to it. I was a very picky eater until I was at least 12. I have a vivid memory of my mom forcing me to eat a banana and drink some horrible chocolate looking goop that was supposed to help my digestive system, which had basically broken down because I was living on bread and butter (Wonder Bread?) and milk. Boy, that really helped .
    I had the same issue with my oldest son. He weighed 5.7 at birth and was consistently in the 10th percentile for weight. He pretty much lived on pbj for a few years, in addition to some breakfast foods. It became a real battle between us and was ruining our relationship. So, I essentially gave up. I served fairly healthy meals, but I never forced him to eat anything, including veggies, fruit, etc. He is still a skinny adult, at 118, 5' 6.5" inches, but he eats most foods. And, he's healthy.
    If I have leftovers, I take them home. I don't bring Tupperware, but it's a good idea.

after forcing my first son, a 2 year old, to eat something he didn't want, he puked it back up.
    Cured me completely. Never did it again. He'll eat anything now.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

'Splain that behavior
    "No way, pile the plate with a mound of bacon bigger than my head, I'm not going back because that would involve walking"

I went on a cruise ship once (won the trip at work). Once was enough. Buffet behavior was gross.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I just refuse to eat at buffets. People are gross. Who knows what they have touched, or coughed or sneezed on... or how long the food has been sitting out. Just nasty.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I went on a cruise ship once (won the trip at work). Once was enough. Buffet behavior was gross.
    This is what I would not want for this type of vacation nor could I be convinced for myself, that the physical activities organized on a cruise ship would help me burn off enough of the ship buffet meals.

It's pretty rare we go to buffet meal restaurants. I will go places like this if there is absolutely not much restaurant choice while cycling in rural areas which has happened on the odd occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    This is what I would not want for this type of vacation nor could I be convinced for myself, that the physical activities organized on a cruise ship would help me burn off enough of the ship buffet meals.

It's pretty rare we go to buffet meal restaurants. I will go places like this if there is absolutely not much restaurant choice while cycling in rural areas which has happened on the odd occasion.
    Same here. Why would i want to be stuck on a boat?

Buffet restaurants here are awful. they attract clientele who like to overeat.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I love cruises. You're not stuck on the boat. Usually it travels at night, and the next day you get off the boat and go on an excursion.

When we had a bigger family we enjoyed buffets because everyone could get what they want. The three of us who are left enjoy Chinese buffets, but I look around me and try to not eat like some of the people I see there.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I just refuse to eat at buffets. People are gross. Who knows what they have touched, or coughed or sneezed on... or how long the food has been sitting out. Just nasty.

Veronica
    Well then you don't want to know what goes on in any restaurant kitchen.
    But I digress.

Well then you don't want to know what goes on in any restaurant kitchen.
    But I digress.
    You're right. I don't. That's why we seldom eat out. That and I'm a good cook.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

What I had for dinner

free happy hour paella. But it wasn't a buffet, it was dished out individually.and it was gooood

Still the thought crossed my mind that it was made from the leftovers from patrons dinner plates

I woke up at 4:00am and couldn't get back to sleep, so I went to Hulu and watched "Supersize Me". Holy CRAP, all I want for breakfast now is organic fruit!!