Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gift for wounded comrade?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got a question for all you ladies who've had the misfortune to have had an accident....
    I've got a friend who had a bad tumble this past weekend and I'd like to get her a practical get well gift. Flowers, cards, balloons - the sentiment is nice, but they all just get thrown away. I'd prefer to get something really useful for a person who is hurting. What was something that you would have really liked to have had when you got home from the hospital? A big wedgie pillow? Some nice soap and a scrubber on a handle for showering easier? A big soft bathrobe or throw blanket? (a nice basket of microbrews )
    Last edited by Eden; 04-06-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

A really good book and some fuzzy socks. But that's just me
    Hope your friend is feeling better soon. She's lucky to have a friend who cares so much about what to get her.
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Bath salts for when her wounds are closed up enough that she can take a bath without it stinging?

One of those microwavable/freezable hot/cold packs?

Deliver food so she doesn't have to worry about cooking?

A nice big box of tegaderm?

Some spray & wash for cleaning her road rash?

I remember really wanting a good night's sleep when I got home from the hospital. Between the pain and somebody coming into your room every 10 minutes to sweep the floor, empty the garbage, fill up the ice water, turn my leg circulation gadgets on or off, schedule meals, deliver meals, etc. -- and every task was a different person -- there was no way to rest in the hospital.

Maybe some nice healing relaxing aromatherapy product? I don't know what's out there.

For myself, I splurged on some Pimsleur Italian language tapes to get ready for an upcoming trip, and once I was able to get out of the house on my own, I went out for pedicures . . . because I couldn't comfortably reach my feet for about a year.

The best thing when I was still feeling fragile was actually getting out of the house. I was convalescing at my parents' place in Pgh, so when DH visited in between business trips we rented a wheelchair so we could go to baseball games, and another big highlight was when a friend visited for the day and we went to Primanti Brothers. Home can feel a bit confining when you're healing up, and it's nice to get out and do "normal" things.

Hope your friends starts to feel better soon!

Hi,

When I got hurt, the thing that made me feel good day in and day out was a nice new bath robe, oversized T-shirt (cause of broken collar bone), and oversized socks to lounge around.

Wedge pillow would fit the bill. Something to make us more comfortable is really appreciated. Ask her what she would like to make it more comfortable for her.

wish her a speedy recovery.

boo boo gifts

Thinking back to my bike wreck almost 4 years ago, I would have enjoyed a journal with a bright cover design and a set of colored pens. Stickers would have been nice also.
    I read a lot. Most of my selections were children's books with encouraging stories and happy endings.
    Other ideas:
    Really soft pillows with washable cases because it was so hard to get comfortable.
    Art kits/coloring kits/craft projects that are found in the children's activity section.
    More than anything . . . it's just nice to have friends who think of you when you hurt and are struggling with pain and injuries.
    Barb

a couple of years ago my boss' wife was in the hospital. And he was figuring out what to buy her... I just told him to buy all the magazines he can get.

It was such a big succes that his wife, after she recovered, donated monthly a big pile of magazines to that hospital.

When my son hurt himself one day I told him I would try to make him this:

It cracked him up.
    Then again, he's only 5.

A handmade card isn't as good or useful as magazines and pillows and shower helpers, but might go nice with them.
    Last edited by singletrackmind; 04-07-2009 at 03:57 AM.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmind View Post
    When my son hurt himself one day I told him I would try to make him this:

It cracked him up.
    Then again, he's only 5.

A handmade card isn't as good or useful as magazines and pillows and shower helpers, but might go nice with them.

Food is the thing that 'comforts' me the most when I am injured.

Not terrible hospital fare, but good, homemade meals. Especially soup and fresh-baked bread!

A snuggie, I know the ad is cheesy but they are useful I have one.

An oversized throw, a got a fleece one for Christmas and it is awesome but would be better if it were alternative down.

Warm socks or easy to put on slippers

When DH was recuperating from his appendectomy (his had complications and longer healing time) he really loved comfy flannel or soft cotton pants for lounging.

I personally love coloring books even though I am 28 when I am sick. I know it is crazy.

Ice cream.

Magazines or a Barnes and Noble gift card (can be used online so she doesn't have to leave the house).
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    If it's a boo boo from a bike, have your LBS repair the damage to the bike.

As for your friend, homemade soup is always nice.

If she happened to have torn her handlebar tape from a booboo from a bike shop, new tape helps.

you're a sweetheart, Eden.

When I was bust up and pathetic I would have appreciated comfort stuff like:
    different magazines, some girly, some sporty, some news
    dark chocolate
    some different tea bags
    a fat candle
    a soft blanket

and yes, a tune-up at the lbs would have been fantastic.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

The overriding theme here seems to be soft - so I found some plushy, plushy socks and the softest, lightest throw blanket I've ever touched. The whole team will be pitching in and helping with all the daily living stuff (errands, meals, etc.) when she's out of the hospital. Thanks everybody!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N