Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    There's nothing new but they've at least changed the pedals and grips they're selling from pink to blue pastel
    GRRRRRR. And that is all I have to say about that.

(Not really, but I'd just rant. )

it bugs me to britches. You know I was told the otherday that I am built like a man. Some of you have seen me. Am I really built like a man?
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    it bugs me to britches. You know I was told the otherday that I am built like a man. Some of you have seen me. Am I really built like a man?
    No, you're built like a box

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    Am I really built like a man?
    If you are you're the tiniest man I've ever known.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

In the Women's section of this months Bicycling mag is a pretty cool story about a women that went to a Women's Bicycling camp/training in Asheville, NC. I thought it was funny and well written -- there were definitely parts of it that I could relate to, especially when she gets dropped from their ride
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    Maybe those are made by men who have no experience with women?
    Oh yeah, you have to be the gender, or experience it to build for them.

Some of the best men's saddles are Terry saddles from a company founded owned run by a woman. Luna cycles will build anyone a bike though a women's company .... women design, build, market, sell bike gear for men including at TE, please "click to shop" above.

But mostly male designers, builders, advertising can't respect the women's market
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

The mail is late coming to my house.

I just flipped to the pages (or ads) take your pic. I guess you all are right in the general audience appeal. I just remember those girls/women that I grew up with in high school and college who were partially to fully athletic would not see themselves in pink, have their nails done or other "girly" behaviors that society likes to plant on us. Not only that, the clothes that are modeled are super expensive, so realisically, who would by them if they were not familiar with what all is out there.

Enough rant on all this!

Thankyou TE for being here and all on the forum. Keep rocking.

Red Rock

Quote Originally Posted by tctrek View Post
    In the Women's section of this months Bicycling mag is a pretty cool story about a women that went to a Women's Bicycling camp/training in Asheville, NC. I thought it was funny and well written -- there were definitely parts of it that I could relate to, especially when she gets dropped from their ride
    I enjoyed the story about the women's cycling retreat too! I guess I wish this section had more stories and less products and ads. The section after that one on nutrition was interesting especially the part about "peeing away your muscles after age 40" (sorry, I am straying from subject here)

And by the way, I am built like a box too!

My issue came late in the mail too. I just ripped the package open last night. Thought the same thing... hmm, wonder if everyone gets this special gold sticker on the front. I just got as far as reading about the bikes. Close to my new ride is in there for review. I was doing ok on the article until the notion that "women have long legs and short torsos" came up. Umm, that would NOT be me (shorty legs, long torso--can fit unisex). Guess I'm technically built like a man then. OH... I kinda like the pink cuz it shows dirt really well when you mtb in it and play in the mud. I dunno why my mother stopped putting me in dresses as a young girl.
    Last edited by Miranda; 04-09-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Not everyone is built the same. A lot of us DO have long legs and short torsos. WSD has been a wonderful thing for some of us. I enjoyed the article about the retreats too, and the comparison between WSD and other versions of bikes.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I will ask this question again:

Why is it automatically assumed that if you are athletic, you don't like certain things that are associated with being "girly"? To me, that is another version of stereotyping.
    I like getting dirty, working hard, sweating, and all that. I also like manicures, make up, and wearing dresses.
    No one would see me as a "frilly" type, but, come on everyone. The point here is that Bicycling should make their "woman's" section better/different. I haven't seen the section, since our subscription is in my husband's name, but let's try to make our complaining more focused on that, rather than putting down those of us who might like some of these things. You can't assume that women who are "out getting a manicure" would not be interested in buying a bike or be great riders, any more than you can assume someone who is tall is a basketball star. Just my humble thoughts.

It's too bad that it's a "special women's section" instead of just covering women's specific topics year-round. But, I no longer read Bicycling because, like someone mentioned, they're trying to reach too broad of an audience and it became more ads than content so I'm somewhat ignorant on the mag now.
    christie

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I agree. There are certainly more than enough women cyclists to warrant having women-specific cycling articles just naturally presented within the magazine regularly. Enough of this dumb "Special Women's Section" stuff- like it's something weird or unusual for women to be riding bicycles. They ought to just get a clue.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Not everyone is built the same. A lot of us DO have long legs and short torsos. WSD has been a wonderful thing for some of us. I enjoyed the article about the retreats too, and the comparison between WSD and other versions of bikes.
    Agreed. I get that many women can't ride WSD and hate only seeing that. But being 5'2" with little torso I can't fit a man's bike. Trust me, I tried to get a commuter. The top tube length are really out of whack, WSD is a blessing for me. And I like my frame too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I will ask this question again:

Why is it automatically assumed that if you are athletic, you don't like certain things that are associated with being "girly"? To me, that is another version of stereotyping.
    I like getting dirty, working hard, sweating, and all that. I also like manicures, make up, and wearing dresses.
    Also agreed. I like sweating, hiking, landscaping my yard. I also like pink and purple jerseys. I like baking. I like running but my running shoes are grey and pink because I liked the looks and the feel. I dye my hair because I am going grey and I don't fancy the natural color. I wear makeup daily. I don't dress girlie, mostly jeans and t-shirts. So in my opinion I am just me and unclassified.

Bicycling is broad reaching and I think trying too hard but I applaud them for at least trying. Some of the other publications ignore women completely. And if you look sometimes the person reviewing a "mans" bike is a woman.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 04-09-2009 at 05:57 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I've been reading Bicycling for several years. I remember this month that there were two different blurbs about specific female cyclists, NOT in the special section. I don't have it with me, and I don't remember who they are, but it was there. There is fit chick, and I think that lately they ARE more female friendly. Actually, I think a lot of the stuff, training, nutrition is not even gender specific, so I don't really see what all of the fuss is about. The special bike edition had LOADS of bikes and I learned a lot. I don't feel patronized, nor do I feel ignored. I get the feeling that a lot of opinions on this thread are from people who haven't even seen the magazine this month.

By the way, I also get manicures, facials and wear makeup to work every day.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington