Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Make a little birdhouse in your soul

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got a new MP3 player today, figured the 512MB Rio I got back in my MTB days has seen better. In fact my old roommate, fortunately worked on small electronics and pieced it together after I dropped it down the stairs at work -- twice.

So I'm going through all my MP3s doing housekeeping, and one was always at the top because it had a goofy file name. Good old They Might Be Giants "Birdhouse in Your Soul." So I grabbed my headphones and starting jamming out. I forgot how stupid happy this song makes me.

When I was living with friends the oldest daughter and I used to scream along to this song and laugh our butts off. You can't sing along, you must yell. It's good it's not on my MP3 player, I could likely embarrass myself hollering this song, and I don't embarrass easily, if ever.

So what are your stupidly happy songs? I'm sure I can't be the only one who has a song that puts them in a sing along and act goofy mood. For the record, Kenny Loggins "Footloose" does that to a point. My ex had this cheeseball sort of sarcastic dance he did to and that is still a good memory.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

cool

I love the title of this thread A birdhouse in my soul ya say..Cool

"Groove is in the heart" by Deeeee lite. I can't drive too it as i'd probably crash I do a funky dance to it & feel all grooooveeey when i hear it. " I couldn't dance for another..." I can hear it now..

"Counting the beat"by the swingers

"I see red" by Split Enz

I do have one that is really really bad but oh well.. "My own way" by Duran Duran (I'll have to watch Sing Blue Silver tonight)

"The Gambler"Kenny Rogers..I have to turn it up loud & sing along.

Am i showing my age? Many others but i could be here for a few days...

Hey, do you still do dirt?
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 04-03-2009 at 09:03 PM.

I love "I See Red". Also "Ninny Knees Up."
    Te Awamutu is beautiful in the springtime. Got to see the Finns' parents on the street there (not ON the street, just walking down the street) and again at a music festival watching Tim and Neil from the side.

Went to see TMBG at a bar back when they were just a small time thing, always have liked them. My son had a "triangle man" and "particle man" sweater when he was born that a friend made. Now that he's nearly college aged, he loves their music.

Ah, the 80's and 90's. Life was so simple when we were young and stupid.
    Last edited by Presto; 04-03-2009 at 10:46 PM.

I must investigate this "I See Red" song. I need to also add Adam and the Ants "Goodie Two Shoes." I think that my love of ska/big band helps, but that song, so happy, so good. I played trombone for a few years, it's my weakness. Oh, and anything from the Dead Milkmen. "B*tchin' Camaro," gotta love it.

Ugh, 8gigs, what was I thinking? Yeah, I've got a lot of music, but I don't want to bring all of it on rides with me. What do people do with those 30gig players? I won one at work, and promptly sold it because right after I bought my truck I finally managed to hit the rocks at the end of my driveway. I guess I could put all my stuff on there, but I'd rather not have to skip past stuff. I like David Bowie, but not sure he needs to come on rides with me.

My old MP3 player, I SWEAR it had a 6th sense and whenever I hit a big hill it would pull up Lo-Fidelity Allstars "Battleflag." Great climbing anthem I tell you!!! Not "wholesome" but it helps every time I hit the 10 and 20% hills to get back to my house.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

Oh, I have so many favourites. They tend to rotate as to which is my "get up and yell"-favourite, though. My probably longest-lasting favourite feelgood one is "Walking on sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves, makes me grin just thinking about it
    "I'm so excited", Pointer Sisters. Many songs by Louis Armstrong that just make me go all goofy-happy - "Hellzapoppin'" for example. I'm easily moved by music so listening to "downers" can be a bit hazardous. "Footloose" is good, haven't heard that one for a long time! "Atomic", "War child" and "Dreaming" by Blondie had me blissful on my bike for the longest time when I re-discovered them. Ditto "Kiss" by Tom Jones - terrific on climbs "Jungleland", Simple Minds. "Somebody bring me some water", Melissa Etheridge. "Electric co" and "I will follow", U2, concert version. "Ballroom Blitz", Sweet. "White wedding", Billy Idol.

Right now: "Let my people go-go" and "Big fat blonde" by Rainmakers are making me bounce around on my bike. And I just copied some new music to my player from a friend: "The new ****" (or something like that) Marilyn Manson, had me sprinting my heart out when I went running the other day. Which is nothing short of a small miracle.

I looooove the title of this thread. That'll be todays motto, I think. Build a birdhouse and invite the birdies in!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

mickey

More thoughts from the birdhouse in ma souuul....wweeeeee(excuse the music choices k.., I'm not into newish stuff)

Umm Smurf..if you do put any of these on your Ipod thing..just don't tell anyone..

"Mickey"By Toni Basil
    "There will never be another tonight", "Kids wanna rock", "Touch the hand", "Remember", "This Time", "Can't Stop This Thing We Started"..Bryan Adams.
    "And we danced" The Hooters
    "Funky Town" Pseudo Echo
    "Sex Bomb" Tom Jones
    "Bad Medicine", "You Give Love a Bad Name", "Keep The Faith" Bon Jovi
    "Bang A Gong"& "Some Like it Hot"-Power Station..(ok, it's really because I visualize the videos and like Andy Taylor )
    "Pinball Wizard" Elton John
    "Venus"Bananarama
    "Whole Lotta Love"Led Zep (well ok, pretty much anything by Led Zep)
    "New Orleans is Sinking", "The Hundredth Meridian", "Little Bones", "Twist My Arm"-The Tragically Hip
    "Face The Face"Pete Townshend
    "End of The LIne" The Travelling Wilburys
    "Cryin over You", "Standing In the Dark", "It Doesn't Really Matter"-Platinum Blonde
    "Love is"Alanna Myles

I see quite a few closet kiwi expats (?) are possibly coming out of the woodwork! TeAwamutu hey...

If you create playlists, then you can choose one before you start out and be reasonably confident you won't have to skip through a lot of songs.

Or you can just do like DH, and put EVERYTHING in the mix, comedy bits, random movements of classical pieces, new wave punk, bluegrass, Zappa, 60's rock, etc., and just let it come up as it will. Drives me nuts.

But to the thread topic - you know the song that pops into my head immediately is The Cars' "Just What I Needed," partly because I like the song, but mostly because it always brings back a memory of eating lunch on the Statehouse lawn one summer afternoon in the mid '80s.

There was a guy with his Walkman on, by the looks of it homeless and very high, dancing and singing along loudly to the music in his headphones, oblivious to what all the suits eating lunch were thinking. When I think of happy music, I always think of that guy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Nellie the Elephant by Toy Dolls

Nellie the Elephant packed her trunk
    And said goodbye to the circus
    Off she went with a trumpety-trump
    Trump, trump, trump
    Nellie the Elephant packed her trunk
    And trundled back to the jungle
    Off she went with a trumpety-trump
    Trump, trump, trump

I loooooove Nellie the Elephant! I actually started a Pandora station with The Toy Dolls as one of the "seeds." My friends introduced me to it and yeah it's a great spazz out and sing along song.

I actually used to have a really great remix of "Sex Bomb" sometime back. It might even be in my record collection from my DJing days.

Smile

Wow - where do I start? Probably everything on my Ipod! But to name few:
    Blues Brothers Soundtrack (the movie)
    Louis Armstrong “What A Wonderful World”
    John Denver - most everything he did I like, mostly cuz I can play them on my guitar!
    Emmylou Harris’ “Ballad of Sally Rose”
    Soundtrack to “Benny and Joon”
    Crunch Granola Suite - Neil Diamond vintage song
    Ooops! Showing my age now- LOL!
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I have lots of weird songs that make me happy, but I LOVE They Might be Giants. I had that cassette and wore... it... out. I'm going online right now to download some TMBG songs.

"Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople been a long time gone, Constantinople, now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night... "
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I love "Make a Little Birdhouse in your soul!" and "Mexican Radio". Plus that song about Snack Crackers, I don't even have a clue what they are talking about. There is a song that is locally popular a duet that has some really perverse lines. Sorry, makes me laugh to no end. It isn't cheerful though like the ones you speak of which make your butt wiggle in delight.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 04-04-2009 at 03:25 PM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Hey, Amanda, that song is "In Spite of Ourselves" sung by John Prine and Iris DeMent.

John Prine is one of my faves for snappy, bouncy little tunes that stick in my head ("Leave the Lights On" always cracks me up). 'Course, a lot of his songs will also break your heart.

Leave the Lights On (first verse):

Feeling kind of bony
    On the telephoney
    Talking to Marconi
    Eating Rice-a-Roni
    Nominated for a Tony
    For acting like a phoney
    Watching Twilight Zoney
    On my forty-two inch Sony
    This is just a long song
    It ain't no poem
    Leave the lights on till your baby gets home

PS I love-love-love They Might Be Giants!!! That whole album (Flood) is one gem after another.

Just about anything by Jimmy Buffett.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    Just about anything by Jimmy Buffett.
    +1

And Fool in the Rain. I love that song

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...