Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congratulations on all counts!
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Wow. Congratulations on going back to the scene. I can only imagine how tough that must've been. I've never had a crash remotely as severe as yours (touch wood!), but I was afraid for YEARS of a turn where I crashed my motorcycle.

Hope they get the new bike built for you quick! Never quick enough though is it.
    yes, it was tough and I knew that the day I'd be standing there again would come, so I'm grateful that I could do that; am still pretty freakin' skittish in crosswalks though - even while walking! Family and friends are understanding and we can all laugh and kid about it; how great is that?!!

The artists at Seven are building me a custom bike again; I do not want them to rush any part of it!
    I am lucky to have a back-up bike and will enjoy each part of the whole process, as I'm mindful how lucky I am to be here!
    (will end this pollyanna-ish post before I gag or worse!)

Mary, Congratulations on another milestone in the healing!

I can understand the crosswalk trigger . . . while I will probably never have the chance to return to the scene of my accident, there are plenty of places/situations that bring back that moment in slo-mo . . . and it took me a while to feel confident crossing the street, too. Finding a way to laugh about it can certainly help.

Hope you are feeling good and strong when the new baby Seven comes!

Mary-

I'm so glad to hear you're progressing - both mentally and physically. That must have been tough - I can't imagine

That's a pretty sweet back up bike

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post

That's a pretty sweet back up bike

CA
    It sure is, isn't it? I had it "commuter-ized" , with fenders and a rack, when I got my Seven in 2004, but that sweet ride has taken me thousands of miles in all of my previous AIDS fundraising rides...

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    ... will enjoy each part of the whole process, as I'm mindful how lucky I am to be here!
    (will end this pollyanna-ish post before I gag or worse!)
    LOL! Cheers.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

'build' update

Seven has a "where's my frame?" link, so that I can monitor the progress of my wildly anticipated soon-to-be-new-Seven...my frame is in machining!

"Machining
    After cutting and butting your frame's tubes, we carefully cut (cope) the ends of the tubes so that they'll fit together properly. We also create the sinuous bends in your frame's seat and chain stays at this stage, using a custom designed hydraulic press and tooling.

We're now ready to take the first step toward making your tube set look like a bicycle frame. But before we do, we carefully clean the tube set to eliminate any contaminants such as grease, dust, cutting oils, and fingerprints. From this point on, your tubes are handled only by craftspeople wearing cotton gloves. love it! (friends kiddingly asked me if I had a silk robe for my Seven)
    Next, we stamp the inside of your frame's dropout on the drive train side, or right side, with a serial number for identification. We suggest that you record this serial number in your files when you receive your frame. Also be sure to include this serial number on the warranty registration card that we send to you with your frame.

Back in manufacturing, using your CAD drawing as the guide, we set up the fixtures on our custom-made jig to accept your tube set. The jig holds your frame's tubes together in the proper orientation and with the correct angles as we tack the frame. Tacking can be thought of as spot welding; each of your frame's joints is held in place by a very small weld bead. Once tacked, your frame is removed from the jig and its alignment checked.

Super-clean, tacked, and aligned, your frame is now on its way to welding. "

I've asked forSeven's master welder to personally weld my bike, as he did my first one, and I met him last year when I visited the 'Seven shrine'...

So, it's moving along...(probably moving easier and more smoothly than I am - still - at this point! ).
    Thanks for putting up with me and my updates!
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    Thanks for putting up with me and my updates!
    Mary
    Mary-

Thank you for sharing them with us! You are truly an inspiration!!

CA

And how cool - cotton gloves?!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Should be soon!! My Seven dealer is building up my frame right now so I may be faced with a hard decision: cancel my follow-up appt. with my doctor re: my injuries from the crash ( ) that's been scheduled for Friday afternoon, to go get my new baby Seven.................or
    be a responsible adult and see my doctor, while postponing the new bike pick-up....sigh, what to do, what to do??

My 2 cents, since you are planning to ride on Saturday:

You will likely feel the same on Saturday whether or not you go to see your doctor. If you reschedule now, it won't be irresponsible . . . you'll still be following up, and you will have given your doctor's office plenty of notice to put someone else in that time slot.

Weather on Saturday is looking to be beautiful. Which bike would you rather ride?

yeah, what Jocelyn said!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Re-schedule the doctor's appt.
    Let's keep our priorities straight here!
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thumbs up done!

I KNEW that I could count on the wise women of TE!

appt with doc: cxl'd!
    appt to pick up new baby Seven: now set for a recently-opened (coincidence, eh?!) time on Friday afternoon

You've made a wise decision, MM, following the sage advice of these TE women. Of course, I may be a wee bit biased on the matter. Have fun on your new Seven!
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

We had better get pics from your ride with your "new ride" from Saturday!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker