Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for the advice, R. Gal! I appreciate the input on tires and shorts. The bike is either 17 or 19, so I think a pair of tri shorts will be best.

I'm off to the gym for some training!

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    Roxy-
    WHY did I not see this thread earlier??!!
    SHEESH! I am the poster child for "larger than life" triathletes!
    And I know just how you feel looking for a wetsuit!
    I wear the athena XL blue seventy suit, but it may be just a tad too small for you at this point. Heck since I gained weight it's prolly to small for me. UGH
    Anyway, I remember looking for wetsuits back when I was getting ready for my first, it was AWFUL! At that time the brand "orca" was ALL the rage in the tri world. Um yeah, there was no way I was wearing a wetsuit with ORCA splashed across the front of it!
    After buying about 6 different suits (no joke, ask my husband) I ended up with a mens XL quintana roo, and yes, I had to cut the legs off.
    Not the best case scenario, but it got me thru my early races.

I have done many a race at mission bay, that is a fun course! I would think you'll prolly still need a wetsuit this early in the season. As for the bike, just wear your trisuit underneath the wetsuit and cycle and run in that. I usually have a t shirt or jersey to go over my top tho. Of course that's just me. I still have body issues, so I like to cover up. However, that is ME!! Do what works for you. If you want to run in your tri suit only, then do it. Don't give anyone who would say negative things your time or worry. THEY are the ones that are flawed.
    I give you many kudos! It takes a lot to put yourself out there, but you are and that makes you WAY cool!
    I hope you have fun in your race, let us all know how it goes. We will be cheering for you.
    BTW- if you want to see what I look like racing- check out the you tube video a friend did for me (WARNING SONG HAS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE)
    He actually did two. THe one in 06 is full of triumph, the one in 07... not so much. But it shows how I put myself out there anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFx4xWnnnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgT_W4nc3Z0

I LOVED those videos! Are you doing it this year?
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Ok, first of all, I think everyone is very self conscious on their first triathlon! So more power to anyone willing to put themselves out there. You go girl!

First, Tina - you're talking about sewing a tri suit right? From a friend I have learned that you might want to look into titanium needles (no joke!) for the sewing machine. Apparently they work MUCH better on lycra-like materials.

Roxy - you should definitely watch transition videos to get an idea of how to run them. For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWHELY0qxw
    There are TONS of them. Also, my advice is to try to get there at the same time as when the transition opens. Otherwise you might be stuck w/ less room on the rack/ground than you want.

Also, have you considered just not worrying about food on an 1.5 hr race? Most people agree that you'll likely have enough short-term fuel on board to just skip the Gu. But might experiment. That would help you streamline.

Quote Originally Posted by fidlfreek View Post
    Ok, first of all, I think everyone is very self conscious on their first triathlon! So more power to anyone willing to put themselves out there. You go girl!

First, Tina - you're talking about sewing a tri suit right? From a friend I have learned that you might want to look into titanium needles (no joke!) for the sewing machine. Apparently they work MUCH better on lycra-like materials.

Roxy - you should definitely watch transition videos to get an idea of how to run them. For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWHELY0qxw
    There are TONS of them. Also, my advice is to try to get there at the same time as when the transition opens. Otherwise you might be stuck w/ less room on the rack/ground than you want.

Also, have you considered just not worrying about food on an 1.5 hr race? Most people agree that you'll likely have enough short-term fuel on board to just skip the Gu. But might experiment. That would help you streamline.

Thanks for the tip on the needles. I have been so busy training I havent had time to sew. I did however pickup two items off ebay.... one is a junonia aquatard that works perfect for my larger stomach and I do not have to use my prostetics (double mastectomy due to breast cancer). I also picked up a junonia "wet" suit. I am not sure what constitutes a wet suit or not. This is long sleeved, has a zipper up the front and shorts that go down about half way to the knee. The first one made a HUGE difference in my swimming workouts. No more scooping!

Tina

ps.. I am not going to worry to much about food during my sprint tri. I will make sure I do my breakfast protien shake ect and lots of electrolyte water during the bike and walk.
    Last edited by txred9876; 04-29-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txred9876 View Post
    I also picked up a junonia "wet" suit. I am not sure what constitutes a wet suit or not. This is long sleeved, has a zipper up the front and shorts that go down about half way to the knee. The first one made a HUGE difference in my swimming workouts. No more scooping!
    A wetsuit is made of neoprene rubber - anywhere from 2-5mm thick depending on the use of the suit. It's designed to trap water next to your body. The water then gets warmed by your body heat and keeps you warm.

Triathlon wetsuits, as opposed to diving wetsuits are made specifically to swim vigorously in. Diving suits are made to swim in using mostly your legs. A diving suit can chafe miserably when you try to freestyle swim in it for any length of time.

If you're not a swimmer with a really tremendous kick, then a shorty suit wouldn't be the best thing for you. The full length suits help buoy up your hips and legs when you swim. A big problem that a lot of folks have is their hips sink as they swim, making them use more energy to stay afloat. A full length, short sleeved suit will save you more energy than a shorty and a full length, full sleeved suit is even better than a short sleeved one.

I know this is a really old thread--but I'm so glad I read it! Thank you!

Roxy,
    Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting this thread! You asked the very question that i've been needing an answer to for months! And my tri is only ONE week away!!!! I'm not going to do well, but I am going to do it! and now... I purchased an outfit that i will probably feel just a LITTLE bit more comfortable in!!!

I can't thank you enough!!!

Good Luck on your own triathlon! YEAH US!!!

Moe

Quote Originally Posted by mtsmoe View Post
    Roxy,
    Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting this thread! You asked the very question that i've been needing an answer to for months! And my tri is only ONE week away!!!! I'm not going to do well, but I am going to do it! and now... I purchased an outfit that i will probably feel just a LITTLE bit more comfortable in!!!

I can't thank you enough!!!

Good Luck on your own triathlon! YEAH US!!!

Moe
    Don't think that you're not going to do well but rather you'll do just fine. There's no better feeling than crossing that finsihline!

=)

Doing it IS doing well!!! Go have fun!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks