Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Okay, so we will not be entertaining the crowd with me in a wet sports bra. Ha! I'm back to shopping for appropriate tri-wear, then. Thanks! I found RRS - they're right down the street from REI, figures - and I'll be going tomorrow to get new shoes.

Tribogota, those are super suggestions, too, thank you! Thank you to everyone for the good wishes and tips on how to make this a successful day. I'm waiting for D*H to get home so I can go out for my 1.5-mile training run. It starts today in earnest. Yes!

Anyone know how to get "Getting in touch with my inner Try-Athlete!" put on a t-shirt? I'd love to wear it during the ride/run.

Roxy
    cafepress.com
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Not that I have done one but it sounds like good advice.... dont eat or drink anything on the day of the race you have not tried before.

I have a real sensitive tummy so I will follow that advise!

Tina

Okay, so we will not be entertaining the crowd with me in a wet sports bra. Ha! I'm back to shopping for appropriate tri-wear, then.
    I think on another thread someone talked about wearing sports bra + trisuit together. Sounds like the trisuits by themselves don't necessarily provide the support that most women need . . . but maybe someone else should comment on that since I'm not really "blessed" that way . . .

Okay, here's another total noob question, but does a wetsuit actually keep your clothes underneath dry?
    Your clothes underneath will get wet, but if you're in warm weather, they should dry quickly (or mostly) while you're on your bike. Trishorts have minimal to no padding, so as to minimize the problems moisture might cause as far as chafing or infections.

You can just skip the wetsuit for a 20 minute swim.

Nothing wrong with swimming in tri shorts and tank top.

If you feel shy about any of it, add something outrageous to your ensemble. A boa, or a grass skirt, or a goofy hat or shirt. Bystanders like that stuff, and they stare at you in a good way.
    Last edited by Presto; 04-03-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txred9876 View Post
    Not that I have done one but it sounds like good advice.... dont eat or drink anything on the day of the race you have not tried before.

I have a real sensitive tummy so I will follow that advise!

Tina
    I don't have an especially sensitive tummy, but I've tried chocolate GU and it tastes like brownie batter to me. I haven't had any since that one. D*H uses it, though, so I'll get some from him and start practicing with it.

TxRed, I have a little chuckle every time I see your name. My dad is a writer/cartoonist and he has a short story called "Lukey Latchester" and the villain is a fatcat name Texas Red. (Literally, a fat cat Wild West gunslinger - pretty funny.)

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    You can just skip the wetsuit for a 20 minute swim.

Nothing wrong with swimming in tri shorts and tank top.

If you feel shy about any of it, add something outrageous to your ensemble. A boa, or a grass skirt, or a goofy hat or shirt. Bystanders like that stuff, and they stare at you in a good way.
    I like the dressing up idea. It's to benefit a local cancer research center, and my father and my fil are both fighting cancer, so it would be appropriate.

And thank you for your confidence in me that I could swim 200 meters in only 20 minutes. I'm working toward that, for sure. <g>

Roxy

I would plan on wearing whatever you're going to ride in on the swim (unless you're going to throw on a simple grass skirt). Otherwise you're going to be trying to pull on a tshirt over wet clothes. It'll be frustrating. You want things to go as smoothly and simply as possible. Fighting with clothing isn't good.

Here are some sites for race day checklists:

http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/ (This one is WAY involved)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Do...0checklist.pdf (This one is much simpler)

http://go-adventure.com/tnt/document...nChecklist.pdf
    (This is another simple one)

If these don't work for you just Google "race day checklist". There are a ton of them out there.

I like printing out my checklist and then checking off what I need to make sure I have it all. I hate leaving stuff out that I need.

When you set up your transition spot put your bike stuff together and then your run stuff together, separate from the bike stuff. You don't want to have to think about where everything is or have to sort it out in the middle of the race. You can just sit, or bend down and grab what you need in one swoop. I put my bike stuff on one side of my towel and the run on the other.

You don't NEED a race belt, but I find it easier to have my number on the belt so I can grab it and put it on as I run out of T2 than having to stop and pin it on my shirt.

Roadigal, that's exactly the kind of step-by-step instruction I'm needing, thank you! I just read over the last one. It lists an emergency tag for your wetsuit and biking shoes - is that in case something happens to me and I can't speak for myself? Crash. Shark. Oh, the imagination runs wild. Eek.

D*H made a point today. He said no one starts training for a tri a month out from the race, and he asked if I'd checked it with my doctor. I haven't. I have to call her Monday morning. She's a runner and a cyclist, too, and she races, so she'll have a good idea if my heart can handle all of this.

I went on a 10-mile ride this morning - I did six miles in 28 minutes. That's on my mtb with the fat tires. As I was finishing the last lap up on the dam, I was feeling all good about myself and this white-haired man blows by me on a road bike like I'm standing still. I really need to get the skinny tires.

Roxy
    Last edited by channlluv; 04-04-2009 at 04:34 PM.

First off...Roxy...go for it! Who cares what others think...if they're standing on the sidelines jeering you...well...enough said. You're out there doing something they're not. You go girl!

My daughter (age 11) wants to do this with me, but the age brackets start at 14, so I don't think she'll be allowed. I hope her father will bring her down to watch Mom compete.
    If your daughter is interested, there is an IronKids tri the first weekend in May in Mission Bay. There is also a tri in Temecula the weekend before that and there is a kids division. My (almost) 9 year old daughter is thinking of doing both...even though her mama is strictly a cyclist.

I don't have an especially sensitive tummy, but I've tried chocolate GU and it tastes like brownie batter to me. I haven't had any since that one. D*H uses it, though, so I'll get some from him and start practicing with it.

TxRed, I have a little chuckle every time I see your name. My dad is a writer/cartoonist and he has a short story called "Lukey Latchester" and the villain is a fatcat name Texas Red. (Literally, a fat cat Wild West gunslinger - pretty funny.)

Roxy
    Maybe I need to get me a t-shirt with the fat cat!

Roadigal, that's exactly the kind of step-by-step instruction I'm needing, thank you! I just read over the last one. It lists an emergency tag for your wetsuit and biking shoes - is that in case something happens to me and I can't speak for myself? Crash. Shark. Oh, the imagination runs wild. Eek.

D*H made a point today. He said no one starts training for a tri a month out from the race, and he asked if I'd checked it with my doctor. I haven't. I have to call her Monday morning. She's a runner and a cyclist, too, and she races, so she'll have a good idea if my heart can handle all of this.

I went on a 10-mile ride this morning - I did six miles in 28 minutes. That's on my mtb with the fat tires. As I was finishing the last lap up on the dam, I was feeling all good about myself and this white-haired man blows by me on a road bike like I'm standing still. I really need to get the skinny tires.

Roxy
    Last weekend when I was doing my 16 mile ride (5 laps), I knew something was just a little harder for me but wasn't sure why...

Well .... on lap 5 of 5 a guy who had passed me at least twice tells me.... if you raised your seat a little you would not be so tired! I had just had it in to put the new tires on and they adjusted the seat to put it in the rack!!

I was thinking...thanks for the advice.... but why on lap 5????? LOL

We all learn at our own rate!

Tina

Keeping track of seat post position

Take a Sharpie pen or even a piece of clear tape and either make a mark, or place the tape around the seat post where the seat post meets the tube. That way any shop that has to remove the post to put it on a rack will know where to set it when they are done. And you will always know at a glance if it has slipped, or is otherwise in the wrong place. And if you later decide it's too high/low, you have a reference point for making adjustments.

Roxy-
    WHY did I not see this thread earlier??!!
    SHEESH! I am the poster child for "larger than life" triathletes!
    And I know just how you feel looking for a wetsuit!
    I wear the athena XL blue seventy suit, but it may be just a tad too small for you at this point. Heck since I gained weight it's prolly to small for me. UGH
    Anyway, I remember looking for wetsuits back when I was getting ready for my first, it was AWFUL! At that time the brand "orca" was ALL the rage in the tri world. Um yeah, there was no way I was wearing a wetsuit with ORCA splashed across the front of it!
    After buying about 6 different suits (no joke, ask my husband) I ended up with a mens XL quintana roo, and yes, I had to cut the legs off.
    Not the best case scenario, but it got me thru my early races.

I have done many a race at mission bay, that is a fun course! I would think you'll prolly still need a wetsuit this early in the season. As for the bike, just wear your trisuit underneath the wetsuit and cycle and run in that. I usually have a t shirt or jersey to go over my top tho. Of course that's just me. I still have body issues, so I like to cover up. However, that is ME!! Do what works for you. If you want to run in your tri suit only, then do it. Don't give anyone who would say negative things your time or worry. THEY are the ones that are flawed.
    I give you many kudos! It takes a lot to put yourself out there, but you are and that makes you WAY cool!
    I hope you have fun in your race, let us all know how it goes. We will be cheering for you.
    BTW- if you want to see what I look like racing- check out the you tube video a friend did for me (WARNING SONG HAS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE)
    He actually did two. THe one in 06 is full of triumph, the one in 07... not so much. But it shows how I put myself out there anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFx4xWnnnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgT_W4nc3Z0

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Take a Sharpie pen or even a piece of clear tape and either make a mark, or place the tape around the seat post where the seat post meets the tube. That way any shop that has to remove the post to put it on a rack will know where to set it when they are done. And you will always know at a glance if it has slipped, or is otherwise in the wrong place. And if you later decide it's too high/low, you have a reference point for making adjustments.

Thanks for the advise! I will do that....

Tina

Ok I am going to throw a kink into this thread......

I have a problem... My stomach is like a 3x but with out my prostatics I am pretty flat chested.....and I have no hips....LOL

so here i am straigh at the hips waist but no boobs....

I am not sure which one will fit if any!

any suggestions?

Tina