Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats to wanting to do a tri There will be ALL types there and I think people are more supportive than judgmental. If anything, the "atypical" athlete shows other people that maybe they could do the same thing, if they wanted.

There have been some great clothing suggestions here. I have a couple of two piece tri outfits (shorts and top) and a few one piece tri suits. I don't like things riding up (I'm tall and a lot of tops don't go down far enough) so in some ways, I like the one piece better. They don't, however, leave a lot to the imagination. Another downside to the one piece is they are more work if you have to use the restroom. A wetsuit will go right over a tri suit, no problem.

The tri is in 5 weeks, do you have time to test out a wetsuit? I'd wear one, brrrr. Mission Bay is a nice area, are they setting up the transition area in that park?

Nobody can help you in transition BUT people can stand outside the area and talk to you if your bike is racked close enough to the fence.

(One thing that was suggested to me was to have a bucket. You can carry stuff in it to and from transition AND flip it upside down to sit on it to change your shoes. I love my bucket.)

You can definitely finish! You'll feel it but that's a good thing. Take it slow, relax during transition, and enjoy yourself. Imagine the accomplishment you will feel when it's done!

Also, RRS in San Diego is absolutely wonderful. If you're looking for running shoes, I can definitely recommend them.

Um, I guess the only other thing I can say is to test everything out before race day. Make sure your shorts feel comfy and don't bunch or hurt, that your goggles and wetsuit work well for you, and that your bike is in good working condition.

HAVE FUN! I also talk to the volunteers and the police and anyone else who will listen. It breaks up the day, makes me feel less tired, and interjects humor into a situation that would sometimes be painful. You'd be amazed how many people come out just to cheer the athletes on and they are a huge help if you're tired.

You'll see. There are "magazine athletes" and the elite ones but the majority of people you'll see and meet will be just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    I am so blessed and humbled by the support and great suggestions here. Thank you, everyone, for the encouragement - especially about ignoring what other people think. It's something I really have to work on. It's just hard to ignore people laughing out loud as I pass them on my bike, or coming toward them and seeing them look up and me and their jaws drop in astonishment (I wish I could say "wonder and awe," but let's be honest here).

Thank you, Salsa, for pointing me to Junonia. They've got a hot tri-suit - black with pink detailing - in my size. And thank you for the book recommendation, too. I ordered Slow, Fat Triathlete at Amazon today. It will be my vacation reading during Spring Break.

Okay, now, for the clothes...I wear the tri-suit under the wetsuit for the swim? And then take the wetsuit off and bike in the tri-suit with my cycling sandals - Keen, on sale now at REI - and then switch to my running shoes for the run, and slip on a skirt over the tri suit?
    Yes, you've got it right

Can you swim in just the tri suit? The swim portion is in Mission Bay, I think, and it's connected to the Pacific, so the water will only be in the low 60s, if that.
    Yes, if the water is warm enough. Probably anything under 70 you'll want a wetsuit. I did a tri last April where the water was in the low 60's and a few people went without a wetsuit. I heard that one guy came out of the water and was almost completely out of it and needed help. Hypothermia is dangerous.

Or maybe a tankini top with swim shorts or Junonia has swim capris...never seen those. And all of this fits under a skin-tight wetsuit? Really?
    Yes, it will all fit under a wetsuit. Really!

Are you allowed to have help getting through the transition part?
    You are not allowed any "outside help" at any time once the race start.

Do you just leave your stuff in a rack with everyone else's stuff and trust that no one mixes up and takes your goggles by mistake?
    Yes.

Can any of you recommend a good post with a step-by-step how-to for what to expect? If I can envision it and feel like I've planned it well, I'll feel better about going in. Meanwhile, I need to get myself on a regular all-in-one-day training schedule for these different activities and maybe even practice the transitions.

What would be considered a fair time for these distances?

200m swim

6-mile ride

1.5-mile run

I've never timed myself swimming, but I'm not fast. I think I could ride the six miles in about 28 minutes, but that's on mtb tires, and I've never tried it racing - the pace may be faster if I'm not watching out for pedestrians and toddlers who've escaped their strollers while mom's on her cell phone.

The run I do in 30 minutes. 28 if I'm pushing myself.

I figure an hour and a half for the whole thing.

I know I can finish. I know I can finish. I know I can finish.

This is become more real with every post I read.

Thank you all again.

Roxy
    Yes, you can do this. Yes you can finish!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

If it's a sprint distance, you could also ride it in your running shoes, if you want to make things simpler in your second transition. No rule against that! Around here lots of folks in triathlon don't have much if any special gear.

People that go out to watch triathlons, do you know what they'll be thinking when they see you running by? "Cool." And, yes, they will cheer you on. With no irony or jeer intended. If they are thinking anything at all, they will be thinking, "Good for you." Take the cheers and RUN!

Yes. You can do this! Yes, you can finish this.

And people who do Tri's know not to judge on size. I am fairly small, but I am ALWAYS at the back of the pack!

My two pieces of advice: Keep it simple. Keep it fun!

Please, keep us posted on your training, and your race.
    You're invited to visit my blog: http://tris3kidsandlife.blogspot.com/

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to you! You CAN finish, and you will! And you'll have a lot of fun training for it, and racing it.

Definitely read books (ie, Slow Fat Triathlete) that put your mind at ease and get you more familiar with the day of the event.

Whatever clothing you decide on, try it all out -- do the entire "event" in short term wearing the clothes and make sure it will all work for you.

Keep us posted on your progress and enjoy it!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I've only got one race under my belt, so just wanted to encourage you to go for it!

You don't have to invest a lot of $$ in what you're going to wear. I didn't want to buy a one-piece trisuit in case I was only going to use it once, or if I wasn't sure I would like the experience.

Under my wetsuit I wore tri-shorts and a TYR sports bra, I think it's one of the Splice Tri bra tops. So, I picked a couple things I could use for other activity if I decided that this would be my one & only tri (it won't be!). I did a practice a few weeks before my race with my tankini, but the tankini kept bunching up as I pulled up my wetsuit, so I figured just the sports bra would be ok. After the swim I just pulled on a regular cycling jersey for the bike & run parts of the race.

Bottom line: Keep it simple so you don't have to spend a ton of time in transition. As long as you have what you need to be comfortable for each part of the race, you'll do great!

Everyone has made excellent clothing suggestions. I just wanted to say Good For You! I think it's great that you're going to do it. At the tris I've done NO ONE gets jeered. The spectators and other participants cheer in everyone, regardless of size, shape or time of finish. You go girl! Have a great time and be proud of yourself for getting out there.

Do you just leave your stuff in a rack with everyone else's stuff and trust that no one mixes up and takes your goggles by mistake?
    Lots of people bring a towel and leave it on the ground in transition to kinda mark their territory. You can leave your cap and goggles, bike shoes, helmet and gloves on the towel and people will know they go with that towel. If you have to run through sand you might want to think about a dish tub(rectangular short sided bucket) to step in and get the sand and dirt off your feet before putting your bike shoes on.

Good Luck and have fun.

just want to plus one on iris, I look like a professional athlete, physically, but I am slower than almost everyone, including my good friend who did a tri with me last year who is probably the same size as you, and as I say, she got way way more cheers than me, people actually ASK me why I am so slow. It is for you and not for anyone else!

What's in <i>Your</i> Bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    The tri is in 5 weeks, do you have time to test out a wetsuit? I'd wear one, brrrr. Mission Bay is a nice area, are they setting up the transition area in that park?
    It's going to be at South Shores at Mission Bay, down near the big lawn, I think. I do have time to try out a wetsuit, if I can find a local shop that carries one that will fit me. If not, Junonia has a tri-suit in my size, but that's not the same as a wetsuit, right? That's a one piece exercise outfit suitable for swimming, biking and running in all together, yes?

Nobody can help you in transition BUT people can stand outside the area and talk to you if your bike is racked close enough to the fence.
    My daughter (age 11) wants to do this with me, but the age brackets start at 14, so I don't think she'll be allowed. I hope her father will bring her down to watch Mom compete.

(One thing that was suggested to me was to have a bucket. You can carry stuff in it to and from transition AND flip it upside down to sit on it to change your shoes. I love my bucket.)
    I LOVE the idea of a bucket to sit on! I was wondering how I'd change into my shoes with any kind of grace. What kind of bucket do you use? One of those big, white, 5-gallon utility buckets?

What do you carry in your bucket? I mean, what is the essential gear outside the clothes, shoes, swim goggles, bike gloves, and helment? A towel or two, I'm guessing, maybe a snack for transition, a fresh water bottle...what do you do with your car keys and wallet?

I've seen race belts for sale - do I need one of those?

I'm recruiting friends to do this with me. They're all superfit and will leave me in the dust, but they'll be there to cheer me on at the end.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Lots of people bring a towel and leave it on the ground in transition to kinda mark their territory. You can leave your cap and goggles, bike shoes, helmet and gloves on the towel and people will know they go with that towel. If you have to run through sand you might want to think about a dish tub(rectangular short sided bucket) to step in and get the sand and dirt off your feet before putting your bike shoes on.

Good Luck and have fun.
    The wash tub is a superb idea! I wonder if I can get one with heated water. I'm going to need it after that swim. <g>

Roxy

Okay, here's another total noob question, but does a wetsuit actually keep your clothes underneath dry? I mean, say I had bike shorts and a sports bra on underneath, and when I come out of the water, I get out of the wetsuit and slip on my NEW TE JERSEY (when are those coming out, anyway?)...would the shorts and sports bra be dry?

Roxy

Your trisuit goes on under the wetsuit, when you are in transition, you peel off the wetsuit, STAND ON IT to get it off your feet, (NO RUSH), and then you are in your bike/run outfit. In your bucket you should have several energy gel's, one for the bike one for the run, you may not feel like having them, but they will make all the difference. Start using them on long trainings to get your mouth used to the flavor and swallowing. You should definitly have sunblock. It slows down transition, but burn, cancer, wrinkles, etc, are not worth shaving your time down a minute. Lots of water, even if the event gives you water, you should drink some post swim and post bike. Maybe a banana too, other food tends to be harder to get down. People are stressed and rushed in transition, DO NOT follow THEIR lead. Practice on your lawn at home, with bucket, post swim, take off cap and goggles, put on helmet and glasses, post bike, take OFF helmet, put on running shoes and sunblock (lots of people start running with their helmet on). Just doing it a few times will get you used to the idea. No need to learn on the day of!

Okay, here's another total noob question, but does a wetsuit actually keep your clothes underneath dry? I mean, say I had bike shorts and a sports bra on underneath, and when I come out of the water, I get out of the wetsuit and slip on my NEW TE JERSEY (when are those coming out, anyway?)...would the shorts and sports bra be dry?

Roxy
    It's called a wetsuit because you get wet underneath. When it's properly fit you get a thin layer of water that your body warms up. It is this and the insulating qualities of neoprene that keeps you warm.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    It's called a wetsuit because you get wet underneath. When it's properly fit you get a thin layer of water that your body warms up. It is this and the insulating qualities of neoprene that keeps you warm.
    Okay, so we will not be entertaining the crowd with me in a wet sports bra. Ha! I'm back to shopping for appropriate tri-wear, then. Thanks! I found RRS - they're right down the street from REI, figures - and I'll be going tomorrow to get new shoes.

Tribogota, those are super suggestions, too, thank you! Thank you to everyone for the good wishes and tips on how to make this a successful day. I'm waiting for D*H to get home so I can go out for my 1.5-mile training run. It starts today in earnest. Yes!

Anyone know how to get "Getting in touch with my inner Try-Athlete!" put on a t-shirt? I'd love to wear it during the ride/run.

Roxy