Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OWIE! Heal well!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Wow, so sorry to hear of your crash. But that does it--no ti bike for me! They're evil, I tell you!

Feel better soon.

Jo

Just saw this post and am sending you lots of "get well quick" karma. Fiona and Maeve join Trinena's puppy is sending you warm golden retriever smooches and cuddles (the world's best medicine!).

Take good care of yourself and let LeeBob spoil you rotten.

Thinking of you!!!

Get well soon Jo!
    Tell Mr Bob to give you a big but gentle hug from me.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Take good care (((((((Jobob))))))).

Heal quick (a wish/vibe to your body); but take as much time as you need.

My inner busybody hopes you'll give Maillotpois permission to tell us what happened if you don't feel up to posting the details yourself (or don't remember them). Sounds like a bad concussion and as always abrasions/contusions/maybe lacerations, but no fractures? What about joint injuries? Was it a single bike accident, or was someone else (or an animal) involved?

In any case, sending serenity and healing vitality over the ether.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yes please let someone tell us! Helicopter?! I am glad you are out so quick. Jeez. Eat lots of ice cream and then eat more if you want it. Sending tons of healing vibes westward.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Bless your heart, Jobob! Sounds like it was nasty enough of a crash that your brain didn't WANT you remembering it! eeeeyoooww.

Me and my Cocker Crew are sending you lots of healing thoughts. Hope you recover quickly and thoroughly!

I agree with the others about the chocolate and ice cream therapy! Cheers!
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

For those of you wanting the story of all of our worst day on a bike, here it is.

Jo did a fantastic job on a 70 mile Death Ride training ride this weekend. She was super strong, new bike was great, weather was wonderful. However, about 2 miles from the finish, on a very short descent, she went over the bars (according to witness on scene - none of our riders saw what happened and Jo does not recall). Maybe a big pothole, maybe an animal - we will never know.

When I got to the scene a couple of minutes later (I was riding sweep at the end of the ride), Jo was on the ground, semi conscious, bleeding from the face, being tended to by passers by who had gotten out of their cars - these people luckily had EMT training and one was a med student. TE-ers Mel and Dachsund were there - all very upset. Just awful.

I sent all the other TNT riders on their way accompanied by coaches, and Mel, Dachsund and I waited for help. Rangers were everywhere within minutes as this was a National Park (Pt Reyes). The passers by with EMT training were doing C spine precautions. Jo's husband Leebob came on scene shortly thereafter as he had been doing SAG for us.

She was airlifted to the hospital where she was diagnosed with compressed vertebra, cheekbone fracture and had stitches. They continued to monitor her for several days there as she had some mild (!) internal bleeding apparently. She also had a concussion for sure, though no no one ever said that word to me.

Big hug to both Jo and Lee and I am so glad you are home.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

That sounds a lot like Denise Goldberg's accident, except on a descent. Best wishes for complete recovery. In the meantime, gentle hugs.

Oh my! Sending massive healing vibes to Jo! That is scary! I am so glad you will recover. When you are feeling up to it, I'll meet you for a beer instead of a ride.

PS to Sarah, Mel and Dachshund - that is never easy to come up on. I'm just glad she had y'all there. Says something about the benefits of group riding. Also - if you start to feel a little down or depressed, you may want to see a counselor for a time or two - seeing a good friend hurt can have some odd consequences that may seem totally unrelated but are not.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

Jo, full speed ahead with your recovery. Best wishes and good healing vibes on its way from Atlanta!

Sounds terrible. Get well soon, Jobob.

Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    That sounds a lot like Denise Goldberg's accident, except on a descent. Best wishes for complete recovery. In the meantime, gentle hugs.
    As I was reading Sarah's account, I was thinking exactly the same thing!! It just makes you realize how the most experienced cyclists can have accidents like this. Thoughts and prayers going your way Jo, and to Leebob too.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Jobob, I feel your pain! I was in a similar accident 5 years ago, and I, too, got to ride in a helicopter. I also don't remember the ride. Too bad, because I've always wanted to ride in a helicopter.

Take care of yourself. Don't hesitate to get cognitive or speech therapy if you need it. That's what I needed, but I couldn't advocate for myself at the time, so I missed out. I'm sure Leebob will advocate for you if you cannot.

-tulip

I have never wanted to ride in a helicopter. Eek. Glad you are back home. Wish you the best in recovering.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan