Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: May 8 rides

May 8 rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just my usual commute route today, + and extension downtown and back. Headwinds in the morning made the hills to work more exercize than usual. Then wun'cha know it, when I was headed home the winds had turned and I had headwinds downhill too. Full gale. Strong enough that at the bottom of the longest, steepest hill instead of whizzing down full tilt I felt like I was being blown backwards uphill again. And when I turned and got side winds I was being buffeted sideways. But I made it downtown in one piece. Finally, when I headed home, the winds had stopped. Of course, that meant that the storm center was parked right overhead. Rain. Good thing I always carry rain gear, acclimatized Norwegian that I am.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

It's a gorgeous day here. I did my 15 mile loop that has a few small hills. Got passed by one racer boy (twice, since he stopped to use his phone) and then I passed someone that I couldn't quite figure out what he was doing. He was on a road bike, regular pedals, and sort of half cycling clothes, half regular. I think he was trying to practice riding with no hands, but he still looked pissed when I passed him.
    My neck is finally feeling better, thanks to lots of stretching, foam roller, but my regular stuff is still annoying me. I was pleased to see though, that despite my complaining and pain, etc. I am w/in half a mile of the average speed I want to be at (which is still moderate, but I don't care).
    I saw so many women riders today, I think we are taking over!

11 miles today, doing a 26mi group ride on sunday...
    - Ashley aka Redd
    Redd-Design REDD Road-Ryder

I called in at work today..ssshhhh...don't tell on me.
    I took a nice leisurely ride today. To enjoy the wonders of spring. I rode up and down all the side streets of 2 towns to look at remodeling projects, flowers, and the architecture of all the older homes. I smelled all the dogwood and lilac trees in bloom. I wanted to pick some lilacs at an abandoned house but was afraid of getting caught and how would I manage getting a large handful home? I was going to stuff them in my back pocket but it's not that deep. I would've left a trail of lilacs for sure. There was a breeze at times, that made going down hill a little rough. The weather was only 70 degrees, but a warm 70 which surprised me. It was a beautiful day, got in 42 miles. NOT bad for being sick huh???

Well today was my normally scheduled day off but I woke up about the same time, so I took off early.
    I was going to go up to applewhite Campground on Lytle Creek Road, I decided to go up sierra ave in Fontana to avoid some bad dogs

Unfortunately, once I got close to the 15, I started to pick some Santa Ana Velocity winds -so no Lytle Creek road for me!
    I decided to see If I could make over to Glen Helen Park, not bad:

Coming back , I noticed a Condor trying to Fly across the road. The wind was bad enough, it was not making any progress. so it landed and gave me a "Rodney Dangerfield" look.
    I took a shot of a fire station, just not the one I was aiming for, before heading for home:
    Last edited by Fredwina; 05-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Got back in the saddle today!

I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant and I haven't been riding (or exercising at all) for the last month, due to an outrageous schedule at work. Sooo... got back out today and went 13 miles by the beach with a friend. Not far, not hard - but GREAT to be back.

Just shy of 20 miles today, with more hills than normal for me. Beautiful morning, and I went out early to avoid traffice (cars and bikes). Felt really good.