Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

eh Les Canadiennes

How is everyone doing?
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Quote Originally Posted by firenze11 View Post
    I see you're in Vancouver, how do you like it there? I've been listing the places I might move after graduation and I think I'd really like it there.
    Agreed with Shootingstar: it's a very good looking place, and the weather is not that bad if you like the rain (I LOVE the green so I can endure the rain), but it is a really expensive place to live in. Everything (not just accommodation) is more expensive. Childcare, supposedly, is one of the worst in Canada. Salaries, unfortunately, do not quite follow the cost of living. It's just a different mindset, paying about 50% of your income (or more) for rent.

Hmm, sounds like Vancouver is a good place to think about after I've established myself a little bit with a career and some money in the bank. I like the rain and the beauty appeals to me, maybe I can just visit for awhile and see where life takes me. I think I'm just a bit antsy to get out and start a new chapter.

It's a good idea about taking my bike on the train. I take Via all the time so that could work out well. I will be taking my cycling shoes with me since I know I can use them for spinning now.
    "Live, more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now! Giggle. Know. Laugh. And bark the the moon like the wild dog that you are!" - Jon Blais

Another Canadian...

Hello, everyone.
    Another Canadian here - Northern Ontario - where the cycling season is way too short!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Hello, everyone.
    Another Canadian here - Northern Ontario - where the cycling season is way too short!
    Welcome Serendipity. How far north are you from Toronto, that money-making centre of Canada? Are there some hardy local folks who cycle alot there?

Hi, Shootingstar

Actually, quite a ways from Toronto - I'm in Thunder Bay - around 1500 km and a world away from To.

Very active cycling group here; Club that I get out with when I can has weekly tour rides (mostly road bikes) although they do have some scheduled rides later in the season with routes more suitable for MTB. A couple other organized groups as well. Started commuting a couple of days a week and am surprised at the number of cyclists doing the same.

I'm rather envious of your more temperate climate and MUCH longer season in Vancouver - we're hoping for a long fall this year!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've been Thunder Bay once in dead of winter for a short biz trip where I flew over snow-covered Lake Superior. Made me realize how large Ontario is.

That's great there is active cycling in your area. My partner did cycle through Thunder Bay on 1 of his cross-Canada bike trips.

...another Okanagan gal here...just moved to Penticton, BC
    Is anyone looking for a training partner (am still fairly green though!)

You're so lucky Nia. Penticton!! There's a lovely Ironman every year out of Penticton!!
    Trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmypwds View Post
    You're so lucky Nia. Penticton!! There's a lovely Ironman every year out of Penticton!!
    I got to experience the Ironman for the first time this year (as bystander) and it was ust incredible! I think it is why i am so determined to get swimming! lol maybe in a few years..

Smile

Hello everyone!

I'm from Vancouver. Just found this website a few weeks ago. Great site!

Helen

Hello from another Vancouver girl. Cheers! And welcome to TE. Where do you like to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Hello from another Vancouver girl. Cheers! And welcome to TE. Where do you like to ride?
    I've been communting back and forth to work for the last 12 or so years now. The ride is only 20 mins each way but I love it... rain or snow. Recently, my BF bought me a road bike (Speicalized Ruby Elite) and thus is why I've been doing more research on websites such as this. Before, I had only hand me down tanks from my younger brother. So having such a light bike is heaven!

I would love to do more longer rides. The longest one I've done so far is 50km with the MS bike Ride 10 years ago (yes, with the tanker bike). Now with the road bike, the longest I've done is only 42km. I would like to ride longer but I find the saddle is killing me. I just replaced the seat with a Jett today. I've heard good and bad things in this website regarding the Jett but my LBS suggest I give it a try for a week. I guess we'll see.

As to my favourite areas to ride, all I've really done is ride down to the seawall to Stanley Park and then loop back out to Point Grey and back home in east van. Have you got a good area you can recommend? I've heard some people said Richmond, but riding over the bridge looks scary.

Hey Buddha,

I'm going to send you a private message right now. (You can find your private messages at the top right of the any page while on the forum.)

Cheers.

newbie canadian here

been trying to read all the posts on this thread... i'm in mississauga (hence the name), ontario. looking for a local cycling club in the area too. I've emailed 2 groups already and no one has replied back. i wonder why? perhaps coz i asked how many women-members they have???

i know, i know cycling season is almost over for the year, but i'm a stubborn and i'm going to ride till i'm covered in snow... this weekend looks promising though, sunny and just a little bit chilly... anyone living in the GTA area?
    canadian rosee