Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki_Nui View Post
    Howdy Nansel! Another Islander, I presume? Getting to be more and more of us here.
    Congrats on the new road bike too. Hope you get many enjoyable km's on it.

Cheers,
    ~Sherry.
    Thanks! Yes, I'm in Nanaimo.

What is the cycling like in Nanaimo? Any good scenic paths/trails and/or relatively safe road routes one could ride as a day trip?

I need a change of scenery: been riding the same roads in Victoria for almost 40 years...I'm bored to tears! It'd be worth the drive just to find a nice change of scenery.

Thanks!
    ~Sherry.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Well, for a short answer, I'd say "Not really". Lots of stop lights and not many roads that you can get going on for any distance, other than the Island Highway. The ride from Nanaimo to Parksville (35km) on the highway is probably the nicest ride I've ever done around here, but that was almost 20 years ago back when I had my first road bike!

We only have two paths - the E&N trailway is really short (8km). The Parkway Trailway is 20km but full of really short and steeps with lots of blind spots where you can't see the occasional dog walker or kid weaving across the path ahead of you.

The roads in Cedar (rural area) are popular place to road ride around here, but I haven't as of yet tried them. I've been mountain biking and commuting (15 minutes) for the last 10 years or so, and haven't tried many road routes. I know from driving that the roads are pretty narrow and people tend to drive fast.

Compared to other cities I've lived in (Ottawa, Winnipeg), Nanaimo is not very roadie friendly.

Ok, thanks. Kind of as I suspected, as we really never hear of Nanaimo being a cycle-friendly city. Still might make an interesting day of discovery one day this summer.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoki_Nui View Post
    Ok, thanks. Kind of as I suspected, as we really never hear of Nanaimo being a cycle-friendly city. Still might make an interesting day of discovery one day this summer.
    I've cycled twice in Nanaimo since we've moved here to Vancouver in late 2002. We did a ride with one of the local groups, Chain Ring Gang or name similar to that, where we cycled from Duncan through the Cowichan Valley area. There are some interesting people in Nanaimo area, including a cyclist who is over 82 -85 yrs. old. I could never forget the time, when he was cycling with us on a drizzly, rainy day about 15 degrees C. He was in shorts while the rest of us were more well protected from rain.

My partner has done alot more cycling on Vancouver Island than I have..since he is retired now. I am certain we will end up in your neck of the woods, since I would love to see famed rainforest park near Parksville..

As a note about victoria, we seem to go to Victoria and surroundings by bike several times annually. Yea, well we have to leave home before 5:00 am by bike, to catch the lst ferry to Vancouver island.. for me to power nap and be awake on time, while we are cruising by the Gulf Islands.

vancouver

Welcome!

Welcome Malloreigh

Where do you like to ride?

I am Canadian, from Montreal, Quebec.

Hi Historikerin - cool name by the way

Where about do you ride in Montreal?

Hey, thanks.
    I ride mostly on the F1 circuit, in town (Maisonneuve bld. path all the way), and Mont Royal. Also the South shore a bit...
    Cheers,
    Historikerin

Huh, I can't believe I haven't seen/posted in this thread yet.

I'm in Ontario right now but heading to Montreal soon. I'm kind of depressed about it since I can't bring my bike, but I'll only be there for the year. And I'm singing up for spinning!

It's nice to hear about the good places to ride in Mtl. Welcome Historikerin!
    "Live, more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now! Giggle. Know. Laugh. And bark the the moon like the wild dog that you are!" - Jon Blais

Quote Originally Posted by firenze11 View Post
    Huh, I can't believe I haven't seen/posted in this thread yet.

I'm in Ontario right now but heading to Montreal soon. I'm kind of depressed about it since I can't bring my bike, but I'll only be there for the year. And I'm singing up for spinning!

It's nice to hear about the good places to ride in Mtl. Welcome Historikerin!
    so you plan to get another bike in Montreal? You must be Torontonian? It's been a wet summer for you folks there. Do much riding in Toronto? I used to live and ride there.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    so you plan to get another bike in Montreal? You must be Torontonian? It's been a wet summer for you folks there. Do much riding in Toronto? I used to live and ride there.
    I wish I could get another bike in Montreal but I won't have money to spend until after school is over and I enter the real world. I really wanted to take mine but I can only take what fits in our truck and I can't ask my parents to do more than one 9 hour moving drive. I'm going to sign up for spin as soon as I get there. And since I'm trying to do tris I'm going to sign up for stroke improvement, too. Hopefully that will keep me happy and not missing my Jake.

I'm not in Toronto, right now I live about 2.5-3 hours north of Toronto. Which is probably good in a way because I can ride on quiet country roads. I'm still a bit leary of riding in too much traffic. It has been crazy rainy this summer, but I love it. It doesn't bother me at all. I'd take rain over snow any day I think.

I see you're in Vancouver, how do you like it there? I've been listing the places I might move after graduation and I think I'd really like it there.
    "Live, more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now! Giggle. Know. Laugh. And bark the the moon like the wild dog that you are!" - Jon Blais

As a suggestion, if you ever return to Montreal by train, to bring your bike onboard.

Vancouver is best appreciated after living in other parts of Canada/the world. Yes, with the exception of rain during winter, it's great. Cycling is nearly year round.

Just brace yourself for accommodation costs in Vancouver, if you ever want to relocate here. Montreal is cheaper.. and so is Toronto.