Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Re: bike etiquette and the wildlife

To disable ads, please log-in.

Originally posted by spazzdog
    [They probably weren't wearing their prescription Oakleys .

spazz [/B]
    I was wondering if they were commenting ... 'Well ... there goes the neighborhood'

Cindy
    Ride Like A Girl!

Man all you girls are sooo nice. first of all who ever lets their dogs run loose like that to terrorise anyone should be forced to wrestle an angry pit bull. Second if some dog comes after me and I can't out ride it I will defend myself anyway I can I don't care if i have kill it. Iv'e been bitten and as a dog owner you have no right to let your will fuzzy beast behave that way.The longer you let that go on the harder it is to stop. I have a large german shepard who I love dearly but I will kill it myself if she ever bites anyone. At my house I am always the Alfa Dog and so are you.

Alpha dog training is a great way to go for many breeds.

The Monks of New Skete have written some excellent books on the subject, "how to be your dog's best friend" originally published in 1978 is the classic on the subject.

Oh, this subject upset plenty of us, there are just alternatives to name calling and flaming.

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thumbs up Dog Deterrent

In one of the "dog" forums there was a discussion of deterrents (pepper spray or mace or whatever). I mentioned a training aid I use for Quid, my bike tire chomper.

It's citronella spray. Goes in a special collar and whenever the negative behavior (i.e. barking) occurs, the collar gives the dog a squirt right up in front of their nose. Anyway, in the discussion I mentioned retrofitting a collar refill for carrying.

After that escapade, I emailed the company. Turns out they make a product specifically for us outdoorsy types who need a deterrent but don't want to blind or hurt the critter in question.
    We just want to STOP them and go on our merry way. The sales rep sent me 2 bottles FOR FREE.

Well girls, here it is: Direct Stop by Premier. Even has a handy dandy clip so it won't bounce out of your jersey. It lists for $12.99 on their website http://www.animalbehaviorsystems.com...cfm?Category=7 but you might find it for less if you search.

Talk to your LBS... they can put this stuff in their shops without the legal hassles of pepper/mace spray.

To those of you who've read this particular forum from the top, you noticed I took (deservedly) a lot of heat regarding my own furry friend. As an update, I just purchased Premier's Remote collar (had the anti barker) to finally put an end to Quid's obsession with bike tires. Now, off to find a pack of cyclists to ride circles round my boy... a little immersion training is coming to a forum near you.
    Last edited by spazzdog; 09-22-2004 at 01:32 PM.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

more on deterrent

Admin... are you listening? Maybe an add to the TE shop

If any of you work in shops, the flyer the salesrep sent me has very reasonable wholesale bulk pricing.

If you're interested, email me off list for the contact info for the rep.

P.S. It says it's effective on all kinds of critters... except bears. It doesn't work on bears. Does anything work on bears?
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Re: more on deterrent

Originally posted by spazzdog
    P.S. It says it's effective on all kinds of critters... except bears. It doesn't work on bears. Does anything work on bears?
    Pedal real, real fast!

Oh yeah! Way fast...

Dummy me, I forgot to say what the substance is in the sprayer. I forgot that this wasn't the forum where deterrents came up.

It sprays citronella.
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Spazz,

This citronella spray ------ have you tried it yet? On a dog somewhere out on the road that decides it want a piece of you? Or do you know anyone who has? Any ad for a product is going to make claims of the product's effectiveness. Not trying to be negative here! However I DO occasionally work in a bike shop and before suggesting to the owner that he carry any product, I'd like to hear some personal experiences by people who've used the product. It'd be great it is worked! Safe but effective. I like that.
    Thanks!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I know how it works on my dog... he stops the behavior. And he gets pretty wound up... the more excited he gets the less he hears "No". All I have to do now is say "Collar" when he starts barking out of the blue. It doesn't cause pain, therefore no escalation of aggression, but the dogs hate the smell.

The product flyer that the rep sent me has the necessary disclaimer - "may not stop ALL animals" but no deterrent stops them all. This one is humane and it can't hurt you if you get blowback.

My pet service uses it as well, both the automatic anti-bark collar like me and the remote control off lead training collar (which I just bought). And they've used those aids on many dogs, many breeds.

That's my personal experience.

The things I like about it are the humane nature, the safety to the user and the lack of legal restrictions to purchase/own.
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

sorry but I couldn't resist my take on all this. First - caps off to all of you - what a positive, Nice way to offer all comments regarding Spazzs dog. But I did try the pepper spray and all I can say is - when I needed it the most - re: 2 big dogs running faster than I could climb up that nasty hill - I reached in my back pocket, pulled the spray out and watched the nozzle go flying thru space leaving me with a canister!! I was so mad then at the dogs, my (soon-to-be-ex) hubby whos idea it was, the pepper spray, and the nasty, long, ugly hill I turned and chewed those dogs out long, loud and very angrily. They both stopped, looked @ each other, looked @ me and went home. They looked so surprised that their "rabbit" had a voice I had to start laughing. Even now when I'm running my dogs, a "no, no, Go Home" usually works. If it doesn't - I just start yelling really loud for someone to come get these dogs!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Thumbs up

Hey...a big "congrats!" to Quid.

Looks like you can teach an old dog new tricks

We are working on "no sheddding on the couch" at our house.

WOOHOO Spazz and Quid - keep up the good work! - Give Quid extra cookies from me tonight!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

At the risk of sounding like Dr Phil - How's that workin' for you?

Originally posted by pedalfaster
    We are working on "no sheddding on the couch" at our house.

Originally posted by snapdragen
    At the risk of sounding like Dr Phil - How's that workin' for you?
    One word: slipcovers!

Thanks for my morning laugh

Talking Beware! Laugh Zone

Thought I'd add a bit of levity to this otherwise very serious (as it should be) topic. Pulled this off of Gibbleguts.com, one of the funnest, if slightly wierd cartoonists I've ever seen.

DOG IN HEAT

A little girl asked her mom, "Mom, may I take the dog for a walk around the block?

Mom replies, "No, because she is in heat."

"What's that mean?" asked the child.

"Go ask your father. I think he's in the garage."

The little girl goes to the garage and says, "Dad, may I take Belle for a walk around the block? I asked Mom, but she said the dog was in heat, and to come to you."

Dad said, "Bring the Belle over here." He took a rag, soaked it with gasoline, and scrubbed the dog's backside with it and said, "Okay, you can go now, but keep Belle on the leash and only go one time around the block."

The little girl left, and returned a few minutes later with no dog on the leash.

Surprised, Dad asked, "Where's Belle?"

The little girl said, "She ran out of gas about halfway down the block, so another dog is pushing her home."
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery