Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Actually, your health insurance company will probably go after her. It's pretty standard for them to make you fill out a form with all the details if you say your injuries are due to an accident, so they can determine what other parties are involved and if they should go after the other parties' insurance companies to pay for everything. It would be good to sit down with your BF now and take notes on all the details - what happened, when, where, etc. so you can provide the information when they ask for it.

Good luck.

Last August I watched a dog get run over by a car while I was out for a ride. It was coming out to greet me, a friendly dog, but I didn't even see it until it was getting run over. Really run over. It survived. We have a leash law here in Michigan and I bet there is one in Florida too. It might be worth pursuing. A good lawyer maybe....

geez, what a BIZARRE response! Good luck with healing up!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I'm so sorry, this is a terrible accident. (To say nothing of the owner's response. How absurd.)

Good luck and heal quick!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post
    The owner was having no part of taking responsibility for the incident
    How ludicrous!
    I don't think that's her choice to make. It's a public road intended for public use by citizens in cars, on bikes, jogging, whatever... and her negligence and her loose dog caused a serious injury.
    I'd get a lawyer and I'd be all over her. Insurance company needs to be in on this as well, and it really needs to be reported to the police.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Terrible outcome for you, hope you heal fast. This may sound crazy.....but check your auto insurance policy. Some will cover, some will not. Get well soon and do not give up.

I don't want to pile on, since I'm sure you really just want to relax and focus on recovering, but if the dog was injured the owner might come after you. So that's another reason to consult with a lawyer. Better to be prepared, just in case.

You should file a report with the police immediately about the accident and the dog's involvement. You should make sure they have the name of the owner and the phone number. You have been injured due to the negligence of the dog owner.

Do not wait to do these things, like filing a report. it should be done immediately. I'm so sorry you were hurt like this. There is just no excuse for this and all due to an obviously ignorant and and probably a more apt description is stupid and negligent person.

spoke

I'm sorry to hear you were hurt. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

I am so sorry that happened to you. Take care of yourself and your sweet bf who is helping you!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Actually, your health insurance company will probably go after her. It's pretty standard for them to make you fill out a form with all the details if you say your injuries are due to an accident, so they can determine what other parties are involved and if they should go after the other parties' insurance companies to pay for everything. It would be good to sit down with your BF now and take notes on all the details - what happened, when, where, etc. so you can provide the information when they ask for it.

Good luck.
    +1...also, (as a rider who was knocked off my bike by a car last year, I'm still in the midst of recovery, retained an attorney, etc), I'll relay my attorney's suggestion of getting pictures of everything you can, as soon as possible...pictures of the "scene"...approaching it, maybe with that gate open...be sure to have pictures taken of all of your injuries and damages to your bike...keep taking injury pics even as bruises go through technicolor stages, video of how your movements, work, daily activities are restricted or prevented by your injuries...it's a pain to add atop all of the other pains, but pictures do tell the story, and any journal, plus logs of mileage, costs, all help too...best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Mary

{{{{arielmoon}}}}

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine the pain you must be in! Can you walk?

So sorry that this happened to you. A local rider was "hit" by a dog at Christmas time and sustained bad injuries...broken pelvis, collarbone, shoulder, wrist, and scapula. The big thing was as noted above....be sure to make a police report! The dog must be reported as a menace and the owner cited, depending on your local laws.

Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

How scary! I wish you all the best. Hopefully there will be some kind of silver lining in all of this.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

((((((((Ariel))))))))

So sorry that happened to you. +1 to what everyone else has said, especially Mary. Sending healing thoughts. Your health insurance company will go after the dog owner for THEIR medical expenses only, so you need an attorney of your own if you have lost wages and your obvious pain and dis-ability.

I hate to even say it, but knowing you're vegan, you are going to need LOTS of protein during the healing process, so be very careful with your diet okay?

Hang in there.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler