Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dog versus cyclist :(

To disable ads, please log-in.

BF and I were out for a short ride on Saturday and I was cruising along a bit ahead of him when out of nowhere a dog ran out and hit my front tire. I believe he meant to chase me as he did 3 weeks ago while I was riding with a friend past the same farm. Long story short I had no time to react other than to reach for my brakes before he wiped me out. I fractured my pelvis in 2 places and also my sacrum. OWIE! Doc says no surgery because they are stable but 6-8 weeks recovery.

The dog was fine and the owner started out pretty rude. She asked why I would come down a road when I knew there was a dog that chased bike riders. BF was really ticked off. He rides the same road almost every day and had never seen it before.

I am very fortunate that BF is living with me now and is currently unemployed cause he is having to do everything for me. This could become a problem though if I miss too much work.

Oh and Dara (Trek Madone 5.1) survived with minor scratches to the brake hood and a large scuff mark to my new Selle San Marco saddle I have some road rash on my left side and the worst is my elbow. Somehow my Sheebeast shorts show no signs of anything even though I was scraped up under neath them.
    Last edited by arielmoon; 03-30-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Oh that TOTALLY SUCKS. I am sorry to hear!
    What are the rules about loose dogs in Florida? How crazy was that response?
    I can do five more miles.

Ew, ow, ow! That sucks. Take it easy, 'kay? I hope you recover quickly.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

The owner sounds like a real pain, how unsafe to let your dog run out! The dog could be just as hurt, did she think of that? Sending healing vibes your way.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

How awful! That sounds so painful.

Is there any way to hold the dog owner accountable? Let your insurance company go after her for your medical expenses?

Have you considered getting a lawyer? Any dog leash or fencing laws in the area?

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Oh my, what a terrible accident! I'm so glad you weren't hurt worse. I hope you heal quickly and will be back in the saddle soon.

As for the negligent dog owner--he's on borrowed time before something much worse happens to either him or the dog.

The owner was having no part of taking responsibility for the incident but I have her phone number and I know who she is. I also have another witness to say that the dog has done it before. I am going to see what my insurance covers and if I loose time at work I may have to take action to cover my expenses. I am not a sue happy person but she is liable and I can not afford to get in debt (any more than I already am) over this.

It was totally random and dogs will be dogs but she could at least close her gate to prevent such a thing. She carried on about how confining the dog would be cruel and at one point told my BF maybe she would have him put down. He immediately told her I would be really mad if she did that.

What an irresponsible dog owner. I don't know of any state that allows owners to let their dogs run loose. You shouldn't let her get away with this. The next time the dog, or the biker, may be killed. I wish you a speedy recovery, but do get an attorney and sue the clod.

Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post
    I am not a sue happy person but she is liable and I can not afford to get in debt (any more than I already am) over this.

She carried on about how confining the dog would be cruel and at one point told my BF maybe she would have him put down. He immediately told her I would be really mad if she did that.
    On the first point, you should be able to find a lawyer who will take this on a contingency basis. At the very least, you should recover your medical expenses plus an amount for pain and suffering, and certainly lost wages if you have to be out of work.

On the second, she thinks her options are to let the dog run wild or kill it? I just wonder what happened to her little gray cells upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Norsegoddess View Post
    On the second, she thinks her options are to let the dog run wild or kill it? I just wonder what happened to her little gray cells upstairs.
    I don't get logic like that either.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

I hope you get a lawyer for several reasons, the least of which is to teach that woman about responsibility.
    Since you had a serious accident because of that dog, can't you talk to law enforcement (sheriff, police, dog catcher) and report the dog/ dog owner?

Get well quick!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

wow. I am so sorry to hear this. If I were in that position I would be seething.

That dog and owner must be reported to animal control.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Good luck with the healing process. Be good to yourself - and as nice to BF as you can.

I can hear DH if he were confronted with the "I may as well put the dog down if I have to lock him up" line. He'd offer to help with either one, preferably the former. He's thoughtful that way and does believe in calling bluffs.

And I agree, see a lawyer, it might help with insurance sometime down the road.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Sheesh, here you are with broken bones and she wants to explain it away because she doesn't want to be CRUEL?

I'm so sorry. I hope you go after her.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard