Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tires and big man clothing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Two things

My brother just bought a road bike and he had the LBS put tuffies on/in his tires. I think it is an extra lining for the tire. I've had 3 flats in 6 weeks and wonder why my LBS did not suggest this alternative to me? and so that I don't sound dumb, what are the pros/cons. I read a thread a while back about goo or slime in the tires? Don't remember exactly.

My brother has really wide shoulders, XL does not work for him, he is probably gonna have to go for a XXL I think he is doomed to buying cycling gear on-line. Any one know of any good places? His b-day is coming and I thought I'd start shopping for him.

Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Velowear, Voler's production line stuff, comes in extended sizes.

http://www.velowear.com/
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

ACG... I used to ride race tires... but after too many days on the side of the road changing flats I finally caved and put Continental DuraSkin (Gatorskins) tires on my bike...

pros: VERY puncture resistant and a long lasting tire... most riders get 3-5000 miles on them which is a TON compared to most tires

cons: they do not roll as fast as a race tire...

I have found them to be comfortable and altho they don't roll quite as fast it makes no difference to me... I'm not a racer and I'm tired of flatting! I can, however, change a flat now in four minutes... flat! LOL
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Here in the southwest thorn-resistent tubes and/or slime or airloc are pretty much required if you're gonna ride a bike. 1 of my road bikes has Kevlar tires, regular tubes and Air-Loc in them, my other road bike has regular tires, TR tubes and Slime. I would rather have the slight weight added to my tires and not have flats than spend time on the side of the road! Air-Loc is the "new" slime and is lighter in weight and doesn't congeal like Slime has a tendancy to do. Oh..and I have Air-Loc And TR tubes on my mountain bike. (we have these Reaaaalllllyyy nasty thorns out here called goats head {picture a real goats head....you got it} that will take out Anything it touches!)

One suggestion would be next time you change a tube - run your tire lever around the inside of your tire and make sure you don't have something sticking through that could potentially flatten the new tube. That might help.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I have Tuffies (might be called Mr. Tuffies) in the tires of my bike. I personally don't know very much the difference or pros and cons of Tuffies or Slime, however, my husband probably does. I just know that the Tuffies seem to be working out great. There is always glass somewhere on my route that I come in contact with.

~JoAnn

spinskins

No, I get more flats for sure. I should keep count, but about 1/week. (5 rides) Lots of gravel/sand/dirt on the side of the road...

Tried slime tubes, but ended up walking home after hitting glass. Both tires! SOL. I'm now trying spinskin liners for the front 24" wheel, and gatorskins on the rear. The rear has held up well, but 1 week out with spinskins the front got a flat. Got a new tire, too, but selection is limited for 24".

I get so many flats that I'm actually getting worse at changing and patching the tires. I'm hoping the tide will change soon.

skm

I use Tuffies. They are a tiny bit of extra weight but worth not stopping to repair a tire to me.
    I finally got a flat after 6 years on the tuffy-it was caused by the liner wearing through the tube but remember, it took 6 years to do it. Tires usually dry-rot before then or the tread wears out.
    Tuffies don't protect the sidewalls, only the tread, but for my road rides it was perfect. Nothing is more satisfying than digging a chunk of metal or glass out of a tire after a ride knowing you would have had a flat if your tire had not been protected.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo
    No, I get more flats for sure. I should keep count, but about 1/week. (5 rides) Lots of gravel/sand/dirt on the side of the road...

Tried slime tubes, but ended up walking home after hitting glass. Both tires! SOL. I'm now trying spinskin liners for the front 24" wheel, and gatorskins on the rear. The rear has held up well, but 1 week out with spinskins the front got a flat. Got a new tire, too, but selection is limited for 24".

I get so many flats that I'm actually getting worse at changing and patching the tires. I'm hoping the tide will change soon.

skm
    do they make a kevlar tire in that size??....mine are specialized flakjackets and they weren't that expensive. I've ridden thru all kinds of junk on them so far and nothing - not even a nick.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"